XPEnology Community

[SOLVED] HP Proliant N40L MicroServer native support

jnus

All the NxxL series (N36L, N40L, N54L) need the BIOS mod, as they're basically the same board, but with slightly different CPU. I'd suggest the latest, November 2013 release, hacked. It got rid of the pinkeye problem for me.

fonix232 - please explain - or link.

I haven't heard about the "pinkeye problem"?

And I'm curious if there is a newer BIOS to my little baby - what have been changed. HP only states that a hang issue in Win2012R2 has been solved.

At the moment I'm using TheBay 041, which is working as expected.

The "pinkeye problem" is something I got with the 041 TheBay BIOS and XPE. Basically, XPE corrupts the BIOS if you tinker with WOL, automatic startup, etc., and it causes various artefacts to appear. The "pinkeye" artefact is that the HP health LED stays blue no matter what - and in the meantime, other LEDs can go on. But as the BIOS is corrupted, the system detects it, and the red LED goes off too - making it a bright pink. Now as the logo looks kind of like an eye, and it's pink -> "pinkeye" problem.

Ive now tried several thing to get the Harddisk Hibernation working. The eject script for the usb drive and everything ive tried does not work..

If i issue an hdparm -Y /dev/sda /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /dev/sdd /dev/sdf

They go to sleep but only for about 15-20 seconds and the wake up again.. Ive tried everything listed here and nothing seems to do the trick. Even tried physically removing the USB pen from the computer.

My specs are :

GEn 7 n36L

2x4gb XMS3 ram.

Random 2gb usb pen.

4x 3tb WD green disks

1x 500gb in the top shelf.

Using the newest bios from this thread.

Ive tried disabling all services.

Waiting the time. nothing happens.

Tried disabling NTP.

Tried booting without network attached after doing all this. and still nothing seems to work..

Anyone got an idea ?

You can't upgrade, but you can install 4.3 without loosing data, which is what I did. All settings in DSM and all additional packages and their settings are removed in the process.

The "upgrade" is like installing DSM from the beginning.

Backup your data and DSM settings.

Put the img-file from 4.3 on the USB stick and boot the N54L.

From Synology Assistant install the 4.3 pat-file - you should not get any messages regarding creating new filesystems.

When 4.3 is installed, you should see your volumes and shares. Reapply your settings and packages and you should be done.

Hi all,

I also upgraded my HP N54L 6Gb ram from 4.2-3211 to 4.3-3810 repack 1....

No data lost with my one disk group in SHR and 2 separate non-raid HDD.

Just needed to reinstall all the packages and re-do all the settings. No problem with additional USB3 card and WOL and Hiberation.

However, I noticed the system seems slow in response time and I found that the 4.3 repack doesn't seem to take advantage of extra ram which could be used as cache, 4Gb is left when reviewing the system resource.

Anyone has the same issue as me?

Is anyone else getting WOL on by default even though you've not turned it on with 4.3

I used DS Finder and it turned it on even thought it was off in the settings. Now this is a security issue.

I have tried to remove WOL but all the box's are unchecked but wol is still on!

anyway other way to turn it off or seeing what's turning it on by default?

thanks

Hello,

does someone notice that is impossible to properly reboot or shutdown N40L with xpenology ?

It seem that acpi is not fully supported ... When I launch a reboot or a shutdown of my N40L it say "system is halting/rebooting now ..." but it stay at this step, need to press the power button.

The system is properly halting as I can hear my harddisk spindown but not completely shutdown.

It's not really a problem in fact, but I have a UPS connected and when the power goes off, the UPS send the command to halt the computer and it was not completely halted ...

Is there a way to fix that ? Thanks.

I was using virtualbox to run my xpenology, but HP are doing £50 off the N54L. So I took delivery this morning and what a nice piece of hardware for the money. Anyway, I installed the 4.3 trantor release without any issues. Booting from a 64 GB SSD and managing 2 x 2TB HDDS at the moment, will add another 2 later this week.

So far not run into any problems, Synology have just released 4.3 Update 4 and that installed with out problems. I will be running Surveillance Station, 4 Joomla websites and Media Server, fingers crossed that all runs smoothly.

Setch

• 2 weeks later...

I have a N36L with 5GB of RAM. 3x2TB and 1x1TB HDs as well as the 250GB drive it came with.

At the moment I run WHS2011 with Stablebit Drive Pool.

Thinking of moving to Xpenology. I use the server for media streaming mainly to an XBMC box. Unfortunately I run a mixed OSX and Windows environment which causes some issues - I can't backup from a Mac to the server. I also use it to stream media via Plex to Apple devices in the house. (iPad & iPhones)

What are the pros and cons of moving to Xpenology? I assume I will need to wipe all my disks before installing?

Also, with SHD on Xpenology how exactly does the redundancy work. It might seem basic but I can't get how on my array 2GB is going to protect 5GB. If a single drive fails can the array be rebuilt in full no matter which drive dies? If I don't have a drive to replace it on hand - can I delete files and rebuild the array as a smaller array?

Welcome to the forum Spud,

I'll just answer some of your questions, here you can find a RAID calculator to estimate your disk usage with XPEnology:

http://www.synology.com/en-us/support/RAID_calculator

- yes you have to wipe all disks before you proceed

- I'm curious how 250GB will be integrated into SHR, but should work ... but I would exclude it from the start.

- should be no problem if you have linux windows or osx to access/backup on it

- plex should be fine, I'm using it for streaming to XBMC also

- can't go deep into the pros and cons, but after trying many nas solutions on windows/linux in my past, I've stopped here (running it over an ESXi server).

In short, it worth to give it a try.

Edited by Guest

Thanks - that calculator shows a total of 5GB of storage space and 2GB for protection.

I'm just unsure as to what "protection means". If a single drive fails can I continue to use the machine?

If I am only using for example 3.5 GB of the storage space and I lose a drive - can I rebuild the array as a small size? Can I pull out drives and replace with larger drives without data loss?

Thanks - that calculator shows a total of 5GB of storage space and 2GB for protection.

I'm just unsure as to what "protection means". If a single drive fails can I continue to use the machine?

Yes, it works even without one HDD, thus at a bit slower speed as the raid matrix is in degraded state.

If I am only using for example 3.5 GB of the storage space and I lose a drive - can I rebuild the array as a small size?

I think no, but you can recover your data easily, especially at that small size.

Can I pull out drives and replace with larger drives without data loss?

Yes, I think you would have to create first a new volume with the new HDDs, then transfer your data to it, then you can delete the previous volume and extract the HDDs.

T
Can I pull out drives and replace with larger drives without data loss?

Yes, I think you would have to create first a new volume with the new HDDs, then transfer your data to it, then you can delete the previous volume and extract the HDDs.

Not correct. You can replace any drive in the SHR with the same or larger capacity drive, and repair the volume. If there is available extra space, you can stretch/expand your volume to that size without loosing data or config. Backup is advised in any case.

Edited by Guest

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to know if some of you were using a P410 card in their N54L and if they are, did you succeed in installing DSM ?

Thanks !

EDIT : Tried the Beta 5, and everything works !

Edited by Guest

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Just wanted to say thanks, was having a play yesterday on my N54L. Install was really straight forward and all appeared to be working as I would want it to. Now just need to decide if I use DSM to replace my WHS.

In a similar position as Spudbynight, however the data that I want protected is not that big at all, say a couple hundred GB. The rest I can get again if I needed. So I dont want to tie up a huge amount of drive space. SO will need to work out whats best with me.

I must say I love the community package feature, found everything I needed was there and setup within two or three clicks.