XPEnology Community

[SOLVED] HP Proliant N40L MicroServer native support

jnus

http://n40l.wikia.com/wiki/Memory

I put 2x4gb advanced ecc before it was known that 2x8gb was possible

Never using more than 20% ram BUT processor can be used 50% by DLNA streaming when adding file extentions, and 100% for resizing pictures by the photo station. i think because the Original hardware ram is limited, it by default doesn't use much... don't thing you will gain anything above 2/4gb...

yes indeed 8gb have to be suffsant

I also found this to optimize the N40L:

in BIOS

Disable "SATA IDE Combined Mode" - sets port 5 and 6 to use AHCI

Enable "SATA ESP on all PORT" - sets all ports to be external SATA ports

The SATA PORT ESP on all makes all ports SATA hot swapable

Enter BIOS with F10

Go to the Chipset Menu> Southbridge Configuration> SB SATA Configuration (New Menu!)

Enable OnChip SATA Channel Type OnChip IDE to IDE, SATA Combined Mode to Disabled ID and SATA and SATA Power ESP on all PORT to Enabled.

While you're in BIOS, Ensure That video memory is set to 32MB to save your ram getting eaten by a video card you arent using.

I am currently running XPEnology native on my N40L however I stumbled on the issue that the drives will not go in hibernation.

The /var/log/messages file is full with this line:

scemd: smartctl_ata_command_interface.c:117 ata ioctl HDIO_DRIVE_CMD error 

I am 2 of these drives: Western Digital WD30EZRX

All services are down, disconnected the internet cable from the NIC. Does anyone have an idea how to fix this? Thanks.

Edited by Guest

But then the System only starts when the USB Drive is pluged in?

Yep, you need to boot always with USB Drive plugged in. My unconfirmed theory, is that Synology is not ready to boot from an AHCI drive, that's why in VirtualBox Synoboot.img must be added as IDE drive and not as SATA drive.

This is just a speculation. I have to check if there is any chance to put only the SSD drive as IDE, because I don't trust the USB drive.

This theory is interesting in fact, as it means it may boot on SATA 5/6 on some bios versions where you can change compatibility modes on those.

I might give it a try but won't be able to try it before a few weeks... so if anyone can try it in the coming days...

Hello,

very interesting forum and thread here ! !

For a N40L in the beginning I planed to use Openvmediavault. But when I found this exiting forum I 've changed

my mind and now will also go with xenology !

Bad news is : I'm a Linux newbee !

Do you think I can manage it to install xenology on my N40L and get ist up and running ?

Allthough I'm a linux newbee, I think I can learn very quick and handle with a little help all the advise I will receive.

What I've done till now:

1. I followed the HP instruction an installed the latest BIOS Ver. O41072911A - not the mod bios yet, will this work this way ? Or ist it a"must" to install the modded version ?

2. I installed a HD in bay 1, It's a used one from a Mac, not erased, still all OS and data files on it. I thought xpenology will format it ! ?

3. I installed the ++ img on a 4GB USB stick, plugged it in the internal USB port.

4. Powered on the N40L, I think kind a linux is booting, but can't interpret all messages on the screen, because of my little knowledge in linux and bcs the messages are running fast over the screen. Than the system hang, only can switch the machine off.

At this point I need some supprt. What went wrong , what must I do ?

Maybe someone can give a step by step instruction for the whole procedures.

Thank you in advance.

Help! & first post to this forum so I hop it ends up in the right place.

I can't seem to see what I am doing wrong but I can't seem to get the installer on the USB stick to run without errors and then stopping.

I have tried XPEnology_DS3612xs_2668_4.1++ and the one in this forum synoboot_microserver-2.img

(https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5tpWhE ... BkN3c/edit).

I used the Win32 Disk Imager to install it on three different USB sticks.

The microserver seems to boot from the memory stick OK but then gets stuck. It seems to see the network card OK but then:

"...

[ 13.552788] sde: sde1 sde2

[ 13.559352] sd 4 :0 :0 :0 [sde] No Caching mode page present

[ 13.559418] sd 4 :0 :0 :0 [sde] Assuming drive cache : write through

[ 13.559476] sd 4 :0 :0 :0 [sde] Attached SCSI removable disk"

My HP N40L microserver is standard except it has 8GB of ram, a DVD drive and a Seagate 3TB (it still has the original 250GB installed). I have disconnected the Seagate & DVD ROM.

Can anybody give me a hint to where I am going wrong as I would really like to have a go at running this system?

Hi all,

I have an identical problem. I am using the synoboot_microserver-2.img and have tried both the HDD Raw Copy Tool and Win32 Disk Imager on two different USB sticks. The N40L has not been upgraded beyond the hacked bios (tried with original bios as well).

Does something need to be disabled in the bios? I have set the USB stick to be boot priority 1.

Thanks for your help.

Help! & first post to this forum so I hop it ends up in the right place.

I can't seem to see what I am doing wrong but I can't seem to get the installer on the USB stick to run without errors and then stopping.

I have tried XPEnology_DS3612xs_2668_4.1++ and the one in this forum synoboot_microserver-2.img

(https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5tpWhE ... BkN3c/edit).

I used the Win32 Disk Imager to install it on three different USB sticks.

The microserver seems to boot from the memory stick OK but then gets stuck. It seems to see the network card OK but then:

"...

My HP N40L microserver is standard except it has 8GB of ram, a DVD drive and a Seagate 3TB (it still has the original 250GB installed). I have disconnected the Seagate & DVD ROM.

Can anybody give me a hint to where I am going wrong as I would really like to have a go at running this system?

Hi all,

I have an identical problem. I am using the synoboot_microserver-2.img and have tried both the HDD Raw Copy Tool and Win32 Disk Imager on two different USB sticks. The N40L has not been upgraded beyond the hacked bios (tried with original bios as well).

Does something need to be disabled in the bios? I have set the USB stick to be boot priority 1.

Thanks for your help.

What is the file format of the USB Stick? It failed for me 2 times when it was formated on EXT2 (think I had the same error) when I tried EXT3 it worked without a problem directly. I am running the default BIOS.

"...

Hi all,

Thanks for your help.

What is the file format of the USB Stick? It failed for me 2 times when it was formated on EXT2 (think I had the same error) when I tried EXT3 it worked without a problem directly. I am running the default BIOS.

Thanks for replying and your help. I tried again formatting first through Ubuntu. However, it still gets stuck at this step. I believe the Raw Copy does an image copy anyway so will overwrite the previously formatted USB stick.

Also tried adding NightHawks zimage as in the original posts using Ex2 Volume Manager, however, still gets stuck. Makes me wonder if there is something simple I am missing.

Has anyone who has come across this found out the reason why? I really want to get this running. Thanks for your help in advance.

Hello,

I have successfully setup DSM on N40L but i experience the following problem. I can create a SHR volume using different disks but every time i want to expand the volume with an extra disk the process finishes by adding the disk successfully to the volume but never expands the capacity. Has anyone experience this problem? I currently use XPEnology_DS3612xs_2668.

hi all,

thank you nighthawk for all your work on this so far. using your custom .img file i was able to get my n40l working with the onboard broadcom nic. Now, i understand build 2668++ (more hardware) has support for the intel 1000 nics which i would really like to use, but inserting the card into my unit its not recognized. im going to assume the img you provided was based off 2668 which did not include intel 1000 support, is that correct?

what can i do on my part to rebuild this unit using 2668++ AND include your customizations to support the N40L?

thanks!

update: I tried flashing the 2668++ release and now the intel dual GbE nics are recognized. thank you for you work!

Amazing! I am so excited about this project! Is this something that was just started?

Question, is it possible to expand the N40l just like "real" Synology can be expanded?

I'm asking because mine is almost full with 6 drives and was wondering if I could use another box and connect through eSata to add a 5-drive case with hard drives?

Just noticed 4.2 is now available.

Can anyone provide instructions to upgrade to 4.2 if its possible on the N40l?

On the web interface 'control panel' -> 'DSM update' gives access to an interface to download the interface and install it.

I have downloaded it but was looking to see if anyone else has successfully upgraded first :smile:

Has anyone fixed the HDD hibernation issue?

I is exactly the same.

I've even forced the hdparm command, and enters standby but instantly becomes active. Here I leave a log.

I understand that this must be a limitation in the absence of the flash / microcontroller originally wearing.

DiskStation> hdparm  -y /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
issuing standby command
DiskStation> hdparm  -C /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
drive state is:  standby
DiskStation> hdparm  -C /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
drive state is:  active/idle
DiskStation>