XPEnology Community

[SOLVED] HP Proliant N40L MicroServer native support

jnus

Good news! I had the advantage though as I just configured the microserver the same as I'd done on my CS407e - which microserver has now replaced. And one thing I've learnt from working with Unix/Linux is that if it isn't working, it's usually permissions hence mapping to admin anyway :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

I have been running xpenology DSM 4.2 on my N54L for some time without issue and saw the 4.3 beta as well as reading about the Git Server they are working on. I was wondering if we should just sit tight to get 4.3 on our HP Microservers and or if we can setup a Git Server now. I did find a package on syno but it was a closed beta.

Thanks everybody and great work!

r.og,TheBlueVoice,andyl9063,mike_6480

Could you measure power consumption of HP N40L/N54L with spinned down hdd's ?

thanks !

HP N54L with 4 x 1TB WD Black drives.

55-65W fully loaded, ~45W with drives spinned down.

N36L and N40L should be little less because of slower CPU.

Hi Guys

I got N54L it is running synology dsm 3202 build natively, when i look at network i can see it is just showing 100mbps and when tries to copy file from my PC i am getting writing speed of around 10mbps. I feel this speed is not correct as I am missing nw driver for NC107i. can anyone sugguest how shall I update network driver?

Also I looked at this build DS3612xs_4.2-3211_x64 , does it got driver for the NC107i NIC?

If i want to upgrade from 3202 do i need to copy 3211 .img file to USB?

Thanks

Build DS3612xs_4.2-3211_x64 works fine on the microserver. I can't see that it's a driver issue for the network card though. I'm fairly sure I was getting Gigabit speeds on the 3202 build; and I'd have though that if the driver was missing you'd not get any network at all. Have you checked your cables? There should be 8 cores wired up to allow gigabit.

Build DS3612xs_4.2-3211_x64 works fine on the microserver. I can't see that it's a driver issue for the network card though. I'm fairly sure I was getting Gigabit speeds on the 3202 build; and I'd have though that if the driver was missing you'd not get any network at all. Have you checked your cables? There should be 8 cores wired up to allow gigabit.

Could this be due to cat5 cable i am using? and distance between two machines(wire length) is about 10-15 meter, dont know if this is causing issue. They are going through speedtouch 780 which is i think 100mbps, this could be bottleneck?

If you're using a 100mbps router, then you'll not get gigabit speeds. And when you say 10mbps is the file write speed, do you mean mbps or MBps? 10MB a second is about right for a 100mbps network.

yes i mean 10MBps, so you think its router?

Yep. You can't have a gigabit network without gigabit equipment. You microserver is negotiating its speed with the router. The router says it can only do 100mbps max, so that's the speed the microserver agrees to run at.

I have another router will try that one see if it gets better or not

thanks for your help

I have this running on my N54L and I messed up and deleted everything out of /lib/modules/ trying to fix some iptables kernel module stuff and was wondering if there is a way to default the DSM install without losing my array / data? My box is still running, but I am afraid if I reboot it, its not gonna come back online :sad:

Thanks in advance!!

UPDATE;

Now I really screwed it up, I found a tar with the 4.2 modules that was suppose to be for 4.2.3202, I downloaded them, extracted them into /lib/modules/ and now my N54L is booting up, but after a min at the prompt, it auto shuts down. Not sure where to go from here to avoid losing all my data.

I have this running on my N54L and I messed up and deleted everything out of /lib/modules/ trying to fix some iptables kernel module stuff and was wondering if there is a way to default the DSM install without losing my array / data? My box is still running, but I am afraid if I reboot it, its not gonna come back online :sad:

Thanks in advance!!

UPDATE;

Now I really screwed it up, I found a tar with the 4.2 modules that was suppose to be for 4.2.3202, I downloaded them, extracted them into /lib/modules/ and now my N54L is booting up, but after a min at the prompt, it auto shuts down. Not sure where to go from here to avoid losing all my data.

When I asked about an equivalent to the "Reset" button on an official Synology NAS, I was told that re-flashing the USB stick to a clean install would effectively reset your installation without affecting data. I never needed to try it but it might be worth a try.

When I asked about an equivalent to the "Reset" button on an official Synology NAS, I was told that re-flashing the USB stick to a clean install would effectively reset your installation without affecting data. I never needed to try it but it might be worth a try.

Thanks for the tip man, I might try that next.

Since I posted I had powered down my N54L and disconnected the USB for the OS and hooked up a cdrom to the esata port. Then on my desktop I downloaded an Ubuntu cd so I could boot to a desktop to follow the recovery directions here.

http://www.synology.com/support/faq_sho ... u&q_id=579

And I have been able to get it to boot with the CD and mount the array without an issue. I can see the addon packages and my entire filesystem (YAY) so at least for now I can recovery thru there if necessary.

I think I am going to give your reimage technique a try and see if I can get back to synology without losing any data, I saw on some other posts where they were talking about the Synology Assistant not having the red text, and as long as it didn't have the red text it should be ok? I would hate to try to recovery with flashing the image to end up losing my data now that I can access it, but at the same time I got a few TBs of stuff and not a convenient place to put it in the meantime.

UPDATE;

I have been looking around the array and the USB device and it appears that there is the main OS of DSM hiding somewhere in the Array. My Ubuntu shows a second array supposedly, that it cannot load because of missing components or something, but it has the Array with all my stuff and the @appstore and what not directories intact.

I was thinking about reflashing the image, but if it is read only to begin with and I know its not corrupt, because I broke the NAS :sad: then how would that facilitate resetting it? I was hoping I might be able to access the DSM install and still work on replacing those ko files I wiped out in /lib/modules/. Now I am starting to think I might be able to boot the NAS with the HDs disconnected and then connect them once it starts to boot and the USB wont find the install so it will default? But then I still have to worry about losing my data hmmm.

Hi Guys!

I have managed to succesfully install XPEnology natively (DS3612xs_4.2-3211_x64_Microserver-20130612) and i must say - It's amazing.

It's fast!

I have 8 GB with 4x3TB discs. I have TheBay modded bios and I'm now trying to get the 5th disc working. I used it before with FreeNAS and it was fine.

However, strangest thing : The bios detects the disc (NTFS, was using it yesterday in an external harddrive enclosure), but in XPEnology it's not in diskmanager, storagemanager or fdisk.

What can i do ?

Okay, just received my N54L yesterday, installed 4.2 everything is working fine, except...

The health LED on the front is PURPLE! Well, actually, pink, and it is really annoying. Does anyone know if it can be controlled by software, or manually, or whatever, so that I could turn it back to blue? The pink haze at night is quite annoying...

I have found a sollution to my problem:

I was using the modified bios from TheBay, i flashed my bios with the modified bios from DieHard

Then i set the settings :

OnChip SATA Channel [Enabled]

OnChip IDE Type [iDE]

SATA IDE Combined Mode [Disabled]

SATA EPS on all PORT [Enabled]

SATA Power on all PORT [Enabled]

Now it works!

I have one N40L with WHS2011 and 128GB SSD for OS and 4 x 3TB drives in RAID-5 by HP P410 controller. I have also installed modded bios to unlock full speed for ODD and eSATA.

Generally I'm happy with this combo but I would like to try DSM since I heard a lot of good stories about Synology DSM.

I have just ordered one N54L and before I install DSM I would like to ask you some questions:

- will I be able put N54L in stand-by or hiberante it?

- does WOL work?

- will I be able access N54L behind the lan (can you Wake it Over Wan)

- can you install Sabnzbd, couchpotato, sickbeard, headphones etc on DSM?

- does it make sense to install additional NIC i.e. tp-link TG-3468?

Thanks for any tips.

I have one N40L with WHS2011 and 128GB SSD for OS and 4 x 3TB drives in RAID-5 by HP P410 controller. I have also installed modded bios to unlock full speed for ODD and eSATA.

Generally I'm happy with this combo but I would like to try DSM since I heard a lot of good stories about Synology DSM.

I have just ordered one N54L and before I install DSM I would like to ask you some questions:

- will I be able put N54L in stand-by or hiberante it? In some instances yes, you can shut it down via DSM or spindown HDD

- does WOL work? yes, If you match MAC address in DSM to the real hardware and enable WOL in the BIOS.

- will I be able access N54L behind the lan (can you Wake it Over Wan) MAC address does not propagate through the router. WOL packet has to be sent from your LAN or LAN side of the router if supported.

- can you install Sabnzbd, couchpotato, sickbeard, headphones etc on DSM? Yes.

- does it make sense to install additional NIC i.e. tp-link TG-3468? No.

Thanks for any tips.

Hello,

i`m planing to purchase a N54L Microserver and want to install ESXI.

I want to run one VM with windows 2012 Server (AD) and on a second VM i want to install the DSM.

Does anyone have experience with the performance of the DSM in this config on a N54L?

Or what would be expectable ?

For windows 2012 i just want to run AD, and this will only handle 5-8 accounts for testing issues.

Additionally i could also install an LSI 9260-8i as raidcontroller, so DSM would not have to care about the raid 5,

could this improve systemperformance ?

I hope someone could give some input about the setup i want to run.

Thanx a lot!