XPEnology Community

[SOLVED] HP Proliant N40L MicroServer native support

jnus

after test, the network card of N40L is not compatible with the firmware 5.2-5565.1 or 2 !!!

the probleme is resolve by add network card exemple : TP-LINK model TG-3468

if no one has problem with N40L?

Hello lolvince, thanks for the reply.

Are you saying you tested the TP-LINK model TG-3468 and it worked or are you assuming because it is on the compatibility list it will work? I guess i would be happy to grab a new network card and use that but i was kinda hoping there was some way to get the onboard one working with some trick or hopefully getting the drivers included back into the official build.

after test, the network card of N40L is not compatible with the firmware 5.2-5565.1 or 2 !!!

Are you saying you tested the TP-LINK model TG-3468 and it worked or are you assuming because it is on the compatibility list it will work? I guess i would be happy to grab a new network card and use that but i was kinda hoping there was some way to get the onboard one working with some trick or hopefully getting the drivers included back into the official build.

The Drivers are not the Problem.

Just a Clean Install solve the Problem!

I got the same Problem before, but yesterday a made a new clean install (with keeping data, but not apps) and everything works like a charm!

I got the same Problem before, but yesterday a made a new clean install (with keeping data, but not apps) and everything works like a charm!

Thanks for the report.

I will give it another go. My problem was that when i booted from the USB drive it just didnt show a network connection. Where as on my current connfiguration it worked first time out with vmware installed. I really dont need a hypervisor installed for my purpose so would prefer to remove that layer. Anyhow thanks for the update will take a look and report back.

UPDATE:

I tried installing again and it worked just fine thanks for the advice Hyperbit, however it used the setup from my vmware information, i tried booting from the USB drive without my harddrives attached and it again wouldnt find my network.

Have you upgraded to 5565-2, with no issues?

My N40L was fine with upgrading to 5565, but everytime I upgraded to 5565, I have to run dhclient everytime it booted, otherwise WEBGUI and other functions won't work.

My N40L was fine with upgrading to 5565, but everytime I upgraded to 5565, I have to run dhclient everytime it booted, otherwise WEBGUI and other functions won't work.

Hi, same issue here but N54L. Never has this problem before with 4.3/5.0/5.1. The eth0 is up but no inet address until issue the "dhclient eth0" command manually.

Hyperbit mentioned "clean install" would help but the "Synology Assistant" always said the system is "Ready" even I selected the "Install/Upgrade" option during boot! How can I perform a clean install?

Hi, same issue here but N54L. Never has this problem before with 4.3/5.0/5.1. The eth0 is up but no inet address until issue the "dhclient eth0" command manually.

Hyperbit mentioned "clean install" would help but the "Synology Assistant" always said the system is "Ready" even I selected the "Install/Upgrade" option during boot! How can I perform a clean install?

I solved the problem by a clean install. Just modify /etc.defaults/VERSION for downgrade, and after picking the install/upgrade option at menu. Select connect or double click NAS in assistant, web GUI will be brought up. Select install there, and the second option will be a clean install with all files kept. The sad point is even with configuration backup, all packages installed will need to be resintalled. Users can be restored, some permissions might need to be double checked. Optware need to be reinstalled. But at least I get the issue resolved.

Thanks a lot for the info! Will do these when I have time. Some of my packages were manually installed... ouch! :shock:

I solved the problem by a clean install. Just modify /etc.defaults/VERSION for downgrade, and after picking the install/upgrade option at menu. Select connect or double click NAS in assistant, web GUI will be brought up. Select install there, and the second option will be a clean install with all files kept. The sad point is even with configuration backup, all packages installed will need to be resintalled. Users can be restored, some permissions might need to be double checked. Optware need to be reinstalled. But at least I get the issue resolved.

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday i was trying to upgrade to 5.2 but it always failed...

Updated the bootloader.

Synology assistant found the nas.

Manually uploaded the synology_bromolow file.

After 5 minutes is says the file is corrupted.

Tried multiple files, multiple versions (update 1 and 2).

Has someonelse got this problem? And how did you fix this?

Also did you guys use excell file found on this forum to change your mac and serial?

Yesterday i was trying to upgrade to 5.2 but it always failed...

Updated the bootloader.

Synology assistant found the nas.

Manually uploaded the synology_bromolow file.

After 5 minutes is says the file is corrupted.

Tried multiple files, multiple versions (update 1 and 2).

Has someonelse got this problem? And how did you fix this?

Also did you guys use excell file found on this forum to change your mac and serial?

you have to use DSM 5.2-5565 pat file, after that you can flash update1 and then update2.. upgraded just today from 5.0-xxxx to the latest version 5565 and everything is perfect :smile:

you have to use DSM 5.2-5565 pat file, after that you can flash update1 and then update2.. upgraded just today from 5.0-xxxx to the latest version 5565 and everything is perfect :smile:

Thanks and I'll try that. I'm positive enough that it might just do the trick!

• 1 month later...

Hello, I've been away from here for a while but have come back looking to update my N40L 5.0 installation to the latest version.

I have been reading various threads for the best way but thought I would ask to try to avoid problems and losing data.

I have a couple of questions:

I have read about the need to now have a valid s/no and mac, I have been able to use a generator for these and could register the s/no so I know it is valid and can edit syslinux.cfg no problem but

a). Do I also need to flash the physical NIC mac address of the N40L?

b). Is B57UDIAG.EXE the correct utility to do this?

I have downloaded XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5592.2.img, DSM_DS3615xs_5592.pat, 3615xs5.2.5592.1.pat and 5.2.5592.2.pat from xpenology.me

c). Can I use 5592.2 XPEnoboot to install 5592 and the two updates manually?

Thanks for your help ( and sorry for any dumb questions)

Hi Everyone, i have been looking around for tutorials on upgrading my current install but im not certain on what to do. Current setup runs 5.0-4528 w/ nanoboot. Can I just download the latest version with XPenobooth, put it on an usb-stick, boot and perform the install/upgrade method? Or should i perform an entire new install? Thanks

Hi Everyone, i have been looking around for tutorials on upgrading my current install but im not certain on what to do. Current setup runs 5.0-4528 w/ nanoboot. Can I just download the latest version with XPenobooth, put it on an usb-stick, boot and perform the install/upgrade method? Or should i perform an entire new install? Thanks

Follow this -> viewtopic.php?p=42163#p42163

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I've been trying to install Xpenology on a N40L, but I'm having real problems with the USB boot image. If I use Xpenoboot 5055 it works fine, but if I use 5565 or 5592 after it tries to load the /zImage the screen stays blank and nothing happens. I tried Synology assistant in case it had loaded and wasn't displaying on screen but nothing. As I said, it works fine with 5055.

I tried to upgrade from 5055 DSM, but then after it rebooted it wouldn't work (maybe needs updated Xpenoboot?) So I tried 5592 Xpenoboot and of course the same problem happens.

In the Syslinux.cfg I have my USB stick's VID and PID.

Any ideas?

BIOS: Modded BIOS, with 5th port and hot swap Sata enabled

HD: 1 x 2TB

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction...

I brought the following RAM to upgrade the 2GB RAM that came as standard in my HP MicroServer N54L.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HyperX-FURY-1866MHz-Memory-Module/dp/B00J8E8Y5C/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1447022400&sr=1-2&keywords=hyperx+fury+16gb

I've installed the RAM but only 8GB is showing in the Info Centre. I'm running the 2013.10.01 (A) (15 NOV 2013) BIOS and DSM 5.2-5592.

Any ideas why the full 16GB isn't showing?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can someone confirm if compiling a new kernel with the generic scsi dvd drive support it would be possible to use the drive in a guest OS (via passthrough) on virtualbox (to burn some dvds on windows)? If yes, are there any precompiled kernels for this goal? The tutorials aren't so noob friendly nor they seems outdated for the current DSM version...

• 2 weeks later...