XPEnology Community

[SOLVED] HP Proliant N40L MicroServer native support

jnus

I was able to install dsm to my microserver - right now. I always waited for "booting kernel" but with nighthawks images this message doesn't appear on my booting screen. Anyway I can find the microserver with synology agent to install dsm.

Finally I wanted to install minidlna but this is a third party app and I would need to install ipkg which ist not available for amd cpu's. Is there a different way to get third party apps work on microserver with xpenology?

Please tell me where is nighthawks images?

I got DSM 4.2 (nighthawk) runing on my N54L. But I haven't install the "modules" (the ko files) onto it yet.

I got a couple of questions:

1. Do I have to install those modules?

2. If so, how to install them? I am a Windows/Mac person :sad:

Many thanks,

I got DSM 4.2 (nighthawk) runing on my N54L. But I haven't install the "modules" (the ko files) onto it yet.

I got a couple of questions:

1. Do I have to install those modules?

2. If so, how to install them? I am a Windows/Mac person :sad:

Many thanks,

I'm sure you've see this post viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6&start=10#p124 ?

1. From windows get something link WinSCP http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

2. From within WinSCP connect to your NAS as the "admin" user

3. Copy all .ko files into /lib/modules (on the NAS)

4. reboot. Now you should see USB drives. Worked for me anyway :grin:

-mrchris

I am just about to buy a n54l and wondered if you are able to use the power schedule or advanced power management app to shutdown and startup the server automatically? Or is a bios mod needed?

Thanks

Thanks for the info.

2. From within WinSCP connect to your NAS as the "admin" user

what port to use? default is port 22, but I can't connect using this one.

You need to enable SSH in DSM. Click Control Panel, Terminal and then click enable SSH.

port 22 will then be open with SSH listening on it.

You need to enable SSH in DSM. Click Control Panel, Terminal and then click enable SSH.

port 22 will then be open with SSH listening on it.

Thanks, did that and login, while I am try to do copying it gave me “Permission denied” error message, what's wrong?

try logging in as root instead of admin, should be same password I think?

Thanks, "root" worked.

After installing the drivers, only notice the internal USB flash drive now appears as external Sata drive.

The following settings still can't get them to work: :cry:

1. Wake on LAN

2. Auto Power up after a power failure

Yesterday one of my HD in the raid crashed (a power failure?) and the DSM repaired it for the night and now the RAID is back in action, so at least this part worked fine :smile:

How to check whether the HDD have been properly put to sleep?

Thanks.

Can somebody help me?

I've installed the modules from the above link and rebooted and now I can't get into the DiskStation interface - everything is running fine but I get "System is getting ready. Please log in later" and it's been like that for hours and after several reboots.

There were two modules on Pastebin which I didn't know how to use but I reverted to the stock modules but still can't login - is there something I can do as I have >4TB of data on this thing!!

I have DSM 4.2-3202 installed on my HP Microserver 54L.

Everything seems to work fine, except I can't get an external USB hard drive to work - I want to use this to back up my data from my microserver to it

The microserver recognises the usd hard drive under storage manager > HDD management but the status is "not initialized".

If I go to backup and restore, the external USB drive is not recognised. It is also not recognised under control panel > devices and printers > external devices.

The drive my original formatted as NTFS, and I've now tried ext3 - neither seem to work (I've mounted and formatted using the guide on http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-disk-format/)

Can anyone help?

Hello :smile:

Thanks a lot for these native support ! I've installed my HP N40L whith theses files :

-DS3612xs_3202-Repack.pat

-microserver-dsm-4.2-02.05.2013.img

-modules-4.2-02.05.2013.tar.gz

It works like a charm :smile: !!

But I want to use these product : http://sigma-shop.com/product/69/usb-re ... nnels.html

In order to start/stop my backups HDD

So, I need usb serial and FTDI modules cross compiled :smile: :

- ftdi_sio.ko

- pl2303.ko

- usbserial.ko

I have tried to make a cross compilation whith this tutorial : http://xpenology.com/wiki/en/building_xpenology

and this DSM 4.2 toolchain : Intel x86 Linux 3.2.11 (Bromolow)

(I cannot find toolchain for 3.2.30 x64 kernel ?!? :/)

Modules i'v build doesn't work on my Xpenology install :/ When i try to load, It says :

insmod: can't insert 'usbserial.ko': invalid module format

uname -a tell me :

Linux EloAndGysSyno 3.2.30 #3 SMP Fri Apr 26 22:03:48 MSK 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux synology_bromolow_3612xs

Anyone have an idea ? :?::?:

Thanks a lot for your answer :smile:

Sorry for my poor english :/ i'm french !

I have the same question :wink:

gysmovoile or someone else find a solution :?::?:

Sorry for my poor english :/ i'm french too!

Hi,

I've upgraded my microserveer with 5x3Tb RAID6. The machine is now testing the disks, also restoring the backup via USB. I was not expecting this to be that slow... i know its doing the parity check in background... but still...

Anyway, since i'm using 3tb disks, i can't boot from any of them, so i'm using a USB drive to do so. Since i have the e-sata port free i was thinking if there is some sort of "esata thumb drive" that i can plug in the back and make it boot from there.

anyone have the same setup and can share experience?

Hi,

I've upgraded my microserveer with 5x3Tb RAID6. The machine is now testing the disks, also restoring the backup via USB. I was not expecting this to be that slow... i know its doing the parity check in background... but still...

Anyway, since i'm using 3tb disks, i can't boot from any of them, so i'm using a USB drive to do so. Since i have the e-sata port free i was thinking if there is some sort of "esata thumb drive" that i can plug in the back and make it boot from there.

anyone have the same setup and can share experience?

There is an internal USB slot on the motherboard - just to the left of the four drive bays - just use an USB stick and keep it permanently in there out of the way - that's what I'm doing

There is an internal USB slot on the motherboard - just to the left of the four drive bays - just use an USB stick and keep it permanently in there out of the way - that's what I'm doing

I thought the usb drives were ruined every time you have to restart the microserver. Am i wrong?

Or is it that you have created a new volume in that USB drive (hence the system partition is created by dsm there too...)

give me a bit more of light please :smile:

P.S.

once the disk test finished, im getting sustained 100-105mb/s both reading and writing. nice!!!

USB drive sometimes overwritten during installation of DSM, if installer incorrectly identify them as hard drive and include in the default system partitioning. Also after boot they shown as shares and you may ruin them by mistake. It is safe to leave them inserted after successful install and you can even soft eject them or change share permission to minimize accidents.

USB drive sometimes overwritten during installation of DSM, if installer incorrectly identify them as hard drive and include in the default system partitioning. Also after boot they shown as shares and you may ruin them by mistake. It is safe to leave them inserted after successful install and you can even soft eject them or change share permission to minimize accidents.

thanks for your input!

Hi guys,

Firstly some huge thanks to all who have worked on this porject so far, it really is awesome, so big thanks to you all.

I recently bought a N54L and started trying to decide what OS to go with. Was a going to go purely for something like FreeNAS which was fantastic at being purely NAS oriantated, but more difficult at adding add-ons like SABnzb etc, or was I going to go with WHS which I would have to buy, then purchase Drivebender to allow storage pool functionality.

DSM really is the best of both worlds!!!

I found my way to this via Overclockers.co.uk forums, and have installed DSM onto the N54L, but in truth, I'm unsure if I've done it correctly. I followed the guide, but for the system to boot, the USB has to remain in the server. At the moment, I just have it placed in the internal slot, which is out of the way and ensures nothing with knock it out / damage it. Is this right?

Secondly, can DSM be run purely from a USB pen acting as a HD? I have a 250gb HD in the server at the minute, but 2 x 3TB drives are on the way. Ideally, I'd like to buy a new USB pen, and run DSM from there. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I also want to extend my thanks to everyone who has worked on this project. Like the previous poster i was running Freenas for my data storage needs and Unraid for my media server needs, so i recently decided to give DSM a try to combine both. Within a few hours i was able to get my N54l running with USB support, WOL, and HDD hibernate working consistently. DSM is truly the best of both worlds.

Thanks again, i really hope this project continues to grow.

I also want to extend my thanks to everyone who has worked on this project. Like the previous poster i was running Freenas for my data storage needs and Unraid for my media server needs, so i recently decided to give DSM a try to combine both. Within a few hours i was able to get my N54l running with USB support, WOL, and HDD hibernate working consistently. DSM is truly the best of both worlds.

what version did you install? and what about usb support , wol, hdd hibernate?

I have the n54l and i'm installing it right now.

if you could, that would be great.

thanks

Hi!

I'd also like to know how you got the hd's to spin down when idle as I've had no luck so far...

So, like the chap above, I'd like to know what version, extra libs etc you used..

Thanks!

Che

what version did you install? and what about usb support , wol, hdd hibernate?

I have the n54l and i'm installing it right now.

if you could, that would be great.

thanks

Hi!

I'd also like to know how you got the hd's to spin down when idle as I've had no luck so far...

So, like the chap above, I'd like to know what version, extra libs etc you used..

Thanks!

Che

This is the DSM version i used. https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

Here are the steps i used in my install, please let me know if it works. I will also try to duplicate my install on a different HD and usb stick to see if i can get everything working again. Also, i have only tested disk spindown without extra packages installed.

1. Change the Mac adress buy editing grub.conf located on the USB drive. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=910#p4226

2. Activate the WOL setting on your Ethernet adapter. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=665&p=3463&hilit=synoinfo.conf#p1919

3. Modify synoinfo.conf and replace S99ZZZ_Shutdown. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=665&p=3463&hilit=synoinfo.conf#p3312

4. Eject USB drive when system is booted. Disks should now spindown after preset time.