XPEnology Community

[SOLVED] HP Proliant N40L MicroServer native support

jnus

Help... Go esata working on 4.1 perfectly. before, the disks were detected as internal...

upgraded to 4.2, got issues, wiped all, reinstalled, and still got disks not detected...

Tried to enable only internal sata, same issue... disks on esata are no longer detected...

Anybody got eSata working on 4.2? if so, what settigns are in synoinfo.conf for internal and esata ports ?

had to downgrade, which meant wiping each disk (had 2) as the software is duplicated on each one, and i kept getting errors saying the version installed were too recent until i wiped both. Used version DSM 4.1 v2668 x64 DS3612xs ++ but still can't use esata disks....

will have to revert to DSM 4.1 v2668 x64 DS3612xs (not ++) unless i find a 4.1 link for microserver. i checked nighthawk links but it's 4.2 only...

There is a french guide to install, that also specify the bios settigns.

http://zeroqi.redirectme.net/proxy/index.php?q=uggc%3A%2F%2Fsbehz.uneqjner.se%2Fuse%2Ferfrnhkcrefbfbub%2FErfrnhk%2Fvafgnyyre-kcrabybtl-cebyvnag-fhwrg_26917_1.ugz

***UPDATE***

Setting need to be IDE and not IDE legacy in the bios, my disks are showing back (using 4.1++) but when modifying the conf files, dissapear from the disk management.

Fear not, on reboot they are showing as eSata as they should :grin:

Gift: sickbeard custom can supports anime if using "git://github.com/lad1337/Sick-Beard.git" and "anime"

Another happy and successful N54L install. I'm grateful for the awesome guides and files found in this forum.

My SynoBeast is scrubbing now and transferring my videos collection. Where can I find third party packages like Sabnzd, CouchPotato and Sickbeard? Also is the N54L processor powerful enough to host Plex server? Or am best running that on my Quad core Q6600 desktop?

Help... Go esata working on 4.1 perfectly. before, the disks were detected as internal...

upgraded to 4.2, got issues, wiped all, reinstalled, and still got disks not detected...

Tried to enable only internal sata, same issue... disks on esata are no longer detected...

Anybody got eSata working on 4.2? if so, what settigns are in synoinfo.conf for internal and esata ports ?

you can try another setting:

esataportcfg="0x10" (1 esata )

internalportcfg="0x2f" (5 sata)

had you hacked you bios and set Ports 4 & 5 to use AHCI ?

http://homeservershow.com/hp-proliant-n ... sited.html

Thanks JasonWu for the information and also thanks to the tutorial at http://homeservershow.com/hp-proliant-n40l-microserver-build-and-bios-modification-revisited.html. From that stems the following info:

The MicroServer's port multiplier (PM) support is command-based switching (CBS) only, but not frame-based [aka FIS-based] switching (FBS), which is more time- and bandwidth-efficient. With the bios Hack both the eSATA port and the on-motherboard SATA port have PM support, and can be used concurrently.

Bios settings to set after bios mod:

. OnChip SATA Channel = "Enabled"

. OnChip IDE type = "IDE" instead of "IDE LEgacy"

. Sata IDE Combined Mode = "Disabled" sets Ports 4 (esata) & 5 (optical) to use AHCI (Starting port count at 0, whereas esataportcfg and internalportcfg starts at 1, and starts from the right )

. Data ESP on all PORT = "Enabled" sets all Ports to be external SATA Ports, to enable hot plug, and port multiplier

. Sata Power on all PORT = "Enabled" allow to have new disk plugged in recognised, otherwise unused sata ports will be switched off

The N40l has 6 sata ports (4 sata, 1 eSata, 1 optical Sata) and 6 USB ports.

. esataportcfg="0x10" (binary 01 0000) (1 eSata ) or "0x30" (binary 11 0000) (2 eSata if using small form factor sata to eSata bracket)

. internalportcfg="0x2f" (binary 10 1111) (5 sata) or "0xf" (binary 00 1111) (4 sata if using small form factor sata to eSata bracket)

. usbportcfg="0xfc1" for 7 usb ports 1 1111 1100 0000. trying to identify the internal USB port to not show the disconnect icon for the usb key

Will update thread after i finish downloading and upgrade to 4.2 again.

I have trouble getting the external USB ports to work.

the flash drive on the internal USB port is detected as esata.

I have used nighthawks* 4.2 img / pat / modules for installation.

*(thank you for your work)

does anyone have an idea about how I address this problem?

by XPEH » 26 Apr 2013 16:57

wenlez wrote:

what kind of disk read / write speed do you get with RAID5 with these HP Microservers?

I have tested HP N54L (same MB, faster CPU at 2.2Ghz) With single NIC its saturated 1Gbps link. With dual 1Gb NICs and LAG ~150MBps without jumbo frames. Basically similar performance as DS412+

Hi XPEH,

I'm using HP N40L, mob BIOS, 16GB none-ECC RAM, 5 x 2T WD Red DISK (5400), 4K sector format and nighthawk mob firmware microserver-dsm-4.2-02.05.2013.img and DS3612xs_3202-Repack.pat (big thanks for the great work). My file transfer speed on CIFS only gets 30~40MBps (E8400 Win7 PC to DSM with Gigabit connection).

I add an Intel Gigabit CT Single Port Copper NIC EXPI9301C, enable Jumbo Frame (8K) in DSM network interface, enable Jumbo Frame in Cisco SF300 switch, check the SMB2 and Large Frame option in DSM Windows file share. It's not getting any better. Try to disable CIFS database optimization feature, no difference as well. Before Xpenology, that HP box is running freeNAS 8.3 with LSI 9220-8i - IT mode (remove in the Xpenology setup), which can get 50+MB for CIFS.

Can you please give me any advices on the Xpenology setup?

Thanks in advance.

netware00

Does you windows PC have fast hard drive?

What RAID type do you have on HP Microserver?

What is the speed of large files transfer?

HP N40L Xpenology with RAID5, my PC using SSD (Adata sx900 60G, 30% free space on it) on OS drvie, RAID0 on Data drive with 2 x Seagate 7200.12 1TB. It has similar file transfer rate on bi-direction.

Thanks,

netware00

I don't have an experience with WD red drives so can not comment on their performance.

You PC should be capable of faster transfer speed.

Is your NAS already have a lot of data or you still can experiment with different RAID configuration? I would try RAID 10 or RAID1 (mirror) first to determine the bottleneck and a baseline for fine tuning.

Also I would also try to leave less RAM on the HP (1-2GB only) for testing. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but I read of the negative impact of excessive RAM on NAS and you really don't need that much for 5x2GB disk configuration on DSM with EXT4 filesystem.

Try to copy very large single file between PC and NAS vs many small files for testing.

Edited by Guest

I don't have an experience with WD red drives so can not comment on their performance.

You PC should be capable of faster transfer speed.

Is you NAS already have a lot of data or you still can experiment with different RAID configuration? I would try RAID 10 or RAID1 (mirror) fist to determine the bottleneck and a baseline for fine tuning.

Also I would also try to leave less RAM on the HP (1-2GB only) for testing. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but I read of the negative impact of excessive RAM on NAS and you really don't need that much for 5x2GB disk configuration on DSM with EXT4 filesystem.

Try to copy very large single file between PC and NAS vs many small files for testing.

Thanks XPEH, PC to PC can easily jump up to 100Mb. The 8GB x 2 memory for the Xpenology is overkill, memory usage rate only at 3% top at the 16Gb pool. That config was for freeNAS 1TB needs 1GB ram. I'll swap back to stock 2 x 2GB ECC Ram.

Hi all,

I was pointed to this forum as a way of getting Synology's DSM OS installed on my soon to arrive HP Proliant N54L.

I am going to sound like a really newbie [ and with linux type stuff I pretty much am :smile: ] but is there a dummy guide anywhere explaining how I would go about getting DSM setup natively ? And I mean real 'dummy' as in what to do once it's all plugged in and turned on.

I have read through this thread and can see that at some point nighthawk's img file needs to be created on a USB stick - which the N54L is then booted from - but is there anything that need's to be done before this ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

smudgester

It's more or less like explained here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17 , but with the files provided by Nighthawk.

Thanks for that. Followed those instructions yesterday and it worked like a charm. DSM is all up and running within a few hours (with 95% of that being the time taken to the scrub the 3.25TB of storage)

I do have one problem though - and can't think what the problem is: I set the N54L copying 650GB from a remote mounted drive (on my existing DNS-323) at 1AM this morning and as of 8AM it had only done 17% :shock: The DNS-323 says it's NIC is 1GB and I am going via a 1GB switch using Cat 5e cables. The spec of the N54L says it has a 1GB NIC but the DSM Network control panel says the the network status is only "100, Full Duplex".

Anyone got any ideas ?

It's more or less like explained here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17 , but with the files provided by Nighthawk.

Thanks for that. Followed those instructions yesterday and it worked like a charm. DSM is all up and running within a few hours (with 95% of that being the time taken to the scrub the 3.25TB of storage)

I do have one problem though - and can't think what the problem is: I set the N54L copying 650GB from a remote mounted drive (on my existing DNS-323) at 1AM this morning and as of 8AM it had only done 17% :shock: The DNS-323 says it's NIC is 1GB and I am going via a 1GB switch using Cat 5e cables. The spec of the N54L says it has a 1GB NIC but the DSM Network control panel says the the network status is only "100, Full Duplex".

Anyone got any ideas ?

In which way you connect both machine? via some sort of switches o via crossed cable?

Anyone got any ideas ?

In which way you connect both machine? via some sort of switches o via crossed cable?

The machines are connected using cat5e cable via a 1GB switch ie N54L -> cat5e -> 1GB switch -> cat5e -> DNS-323

The DNS is reporting a network status of "Speed: 1000Mb/s MTU: 1500 TX: 2.1 GiB Rx: 3.3 GiB" but DSM 4.2 (on the N54L) is only reporting a network speed of "100, full duplex, MTU 1500"

have the n40l and is seen as gigabit with cat 6 cables.

Gigabit is normally sensing the cable to determine the speed. try with another cable, if possible cat 6.

Didn't think it was based on the cable (but obviously it is !!!). I will try another cable when I get home

I am also having a problem setting up a USB printer to share across the network.

It's a Samsung CLP-365 colour laser printer. When I connect to the N54L, DSM sees it and can change the cloud/air stuff but is unable to a print a test page. Other machines on the network can see the printer but don't always print to it. I think this remote printing issue is due to the printer having a "power saving" mode which makes printing remoting not work once the printer has gone into power saving mode.

Has anyone got any ideas on what to try ?? Or what I might have done wrong during the install process ?

Just registered to say thanks to those responsible for getting DSM working on the HP N40L. Just stumbled across this forum and now have my HP N40L running DSM 4.1 (need to find new link to 4.2).

Awesome work :grin:

Not sure which version the nighthawk file is but I got my image from here and I am running 4.2

I have also now solved my printer issue (with the help of Samsung support, connecting to the printer directly and using the supplied software to turn sleep mode off).

I have my N40L box running well with DSM 4.2. Having a problem with the MAC address though. I have changed it using both methods suggested in this thread, using a hex editor on the 'vender' file to put in the correct MAC address and also adding in the mac1= line in the menu.lst (grub.conf). Both to no effect, each time I boot up I get a new DHCP address assigned to the box and the MAC address is not the one I have entered in. No big deal really I guess as its all working nicely but would be good to know why my changes are not being noticed.

Any ideas?

mrchris