XPEnology Community

[SOLVED] HP Proliant N40L MicroServer native support

jnus

I have a N36L Running Nas4Free, which is FreeBSD.

You need console access.

In command prompt type: ifconfig em0

This command will show something like:

em0: flags=8843 metric 0 mtu 1500

options=219b

ether 00:25:90:04:19:4a

media: Ethernet autoselect

where "ether 00:25:90:04:19:4a" is your MAC.

Has anyone tested is the iPhone/Android apps work? Or DS Audio while you're not on your LAN?

Nope, I haven't tested it, but if dsm offers that option , I dont see why it wouldn't work.

Anyway I think that you should ask in the DSM4.1 thread as this is mostly for compatibility issues with specific hardware (N36L & N40L).

I have to do some research, because somehow I made it bootable without the USB in one occasion...

I was trying to replace the USB directly by flashing a 250GB drive with the synoboot image provided by Nighthawk... I'll check it out tomorrow

Really looking forward to this project! :grin:

Already tried it in a VM and that worked perfect. Eventually I like to run this on my MicroServer but I need the low power (HD idle) functions. :smile:

It seems that the standby mode for hard drives should work, but I have a lot of disk activity and hdd does not sleep.

But "hdparm -y" can send drive in standby mode:

tux> hdparm -C /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
drive state is:  active/idle
tux> hdparm -y /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
issuing standby command
tux> hdparm -C /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
drive state is:  standby

I consider to buy a HP microserver and want to know, what performance can be expected with DSM4.1 on it?

Can I get 100 MB/s over the gigabit connection?

I how many power is used under load and idle?

Are there some things (at the moment), which aren't functional?

thanks and best regards

Locutus

Really looking forward to this project! :grin:

Already tried it in a VM and that worked perfect. Eventually I like to run this on my MicroServer but I need the low power (HD idle) functions. :smile:

It seems that the standby mode for hard drives should work, but I have a lot of disk activity and hdd does not sleep.

But "hdparm -y" can send drive in standby mode:

tux> hdparm -C /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
drive state is:  active/idle
tux> hdparm -y /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
issuing standby command
tux> hdparm -C /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
drive state is:  standby

I have same problem, my hardrives don't normal to go standby mode...if i try directly by hdparm it's ok, but not normal by DSM...any idea ?

I juste test for you with 2.05 GO file. My Lan is GB

From My Computer SSD to NAS HP XPNOLOGY

[attachment=1]Capturesyno1.JPG[/attachment]

From NAS HP XPNOLOGY to MY Computer SSD

[attachment=0]Capturesyno2.JPG[/attachment]

And how much energy do your system take? (idle/load)

Hey guys

First of all i have to thank you for this perfect project. This is exacly what i was searching for.

I already testet xpenology with a VM and evrything runs fine.

Now i tried to install it on my HP MicroServer N40L, but i have some problems with it.

My system:

N40L (original BIOS)

only 2GB RAM (upgrade follows)

System Disk Sandisk 64GB SSD

2x 3TB Seagarte HDD

My first problem is, that when im trying to install the normal XPEnology_DS3612xs_2668 with the synoboot.img on an USB Drive. My Synology Assistant woun`t detect the NAS.

So i installed the IMG from nighthak an an USB Drive and it starts perfectly. My Synology Assistant detect the NAS and i can install the DSM. I remove the USB Drive and install the .part on my SSD. But then the System only starts when the USB Drive is pluged in?

Can you help me? Why i can only start the system when the USB is pluged in (i pluged out the USB Drive before i installed the .part)

And why i cant install the normal XPEnology_DS3612xs_2668 with the synoboot.img?

Thank you very much and thanks again for this gorgeous solution.

I have same problem, my hardrives don't normal to go standby mode...if i try directly by hdparm it's ok, but not normal by DSM...any idea ?

Just use "syno_hibernate_debug_tool --enable 10" and see "/var/log/messages" to find out, which applications uses uour drives.

Hi All, Finally got around to test, and truly enough, it works.

You test that the nic is detected with "Synology Assistant" but installing means wiping the first disk...

. Prepared a USB key with the img written on it. didn't modded it with the mac address

. Connected it and went in the bios to but the usb key first in the disk boot sequence

. Booted from it then removed it after it has booted

. Used synology assistant to install the *.pat DSM_DS3612xs_2668.pat

. after install, put back the USB key, booted and voila :grin:

Added afterwards the usb2 modules and while the camera still worked, it now showed my USB Stick.

I tried the logitech orbit webcam, but two playstation eye fail to work, complaining about no serial number...

I tried two usb tuners, but they failed to capt anything under video station and no tuner detected under TVHeadEnd

But then the System only starts when the USB Drive is pluged in?

Yep, you need to boot always with USB Drive plugged in. My unconfirmed theory, is that Synology is not ready to boot from an AHCI drive, that's why in VirtualBox Synoboot.img must be added as IDE drive and not as SATA drive.

This is just a speculation. I have to check if there is any chance to put only the SSD drive as IDE, because I don't trust the USB drive.

And why i cant install the normal XPEnology_DS3612xs_2668 with the synoboot.img?

That's because it doesn't have drivers for N36L/N40L network card.

Just use "syno_hibernate_debug_tool --enable 10" and see "/var/log/messages" to find out, which applications uses uour drives.

I just try..and no message it's clean....i try --enable-force and same...no went go to standby mode..

I will try my second NL40...

Have been using it on my N40L with hacked bios and network speed is good.

Disk 1 /dev/sda1 + sda2 Vertical disk bay on the left

Disk 2 /dev/sdb

Disk 3 /dev/sdc

Disk 4 /dev/sdd Vertical disk bay on the right

Disk 5 /dev/sde Esata port

Disk 6 /dev/sdf1 onboard sata for the optical drive, can be changed to esata with small profile sata to esata bracket

USB internal /dev/sdu1 + sdu2 USB key internal port

10TB seen as 2tb only with fdisk but storage manager ok.

after removing proactive mbr partition, usb drive see storage, but would prefer sata speed.

"fdisk -l" to see partition table

"mkdir /mnt/ntfs "

"mount -t ntfs /dev/sdf1/ /mnt/ntfs" gives "mount: mounting /dev/sdf1/ on /mnt/ntfs failed: No such device"

On my previous DS207+ with front esata port, was recognised ok... http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=42172

Anybody knows how to declare the port 5 and 6 as external ports ?

"mount -t ntfs /dev/sdf1/ /mnt/ntfs" gives "mount: mounting /dev/sdf1/ on /mnt/ntfs failed: No such device"

I don't have unused esata drive for testing, but NTFS formatted usb drive was mounted automatically.

Hotplug works too.

Anybody knows how to declare the port 5 and 6 as external ports ?

Nope.

There is many things should be fixed and even more should be tested.

My priority - fix usb-hid for UPS and input, but i have not enought time for that.

Help! & first post to this forum so I hop it ends up in the right place.

I can't seem to see what I am doing wrong but I can't seem to get the installer on the USB stick to run without errors and then stopping.

I have tried XPEnology_DS3612xs_2668_4.1++ and the one in this forum synoboot_microserver.img

(https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5tpWhE ... BkN3c/edit).

I used the Win32 Disk Imager to install it on three different USB sticks.

The microserver seems to boot from the memory stick OK but then gets stuck. It seems to see the network card OK but then:

"...

[ 13.552788] sde: sde1 sde2

[ 13.559352] sd 4 :0 :0 :0 [sde] No Caching mode page present

[ 13.559418] sd 4 :0 :0 :0 [sde] Assuming drive cache : write through

[ 13.559476] sd 4 :0 :0 :0 [sde] Attached SCSI removable disk"

My HP N40L microserver is standard except it has 8GB of ram, a DVD drive and a Seagate 3TB (it still has the original 250GB installed). I have disconnected the Seagate & DVD ROM.

Can anybody give me a hint to where I am going wrong as I would really like to have a go at running this system?

Help! & first post to this forum so I hop it ends up in the right place.

I can't seem to see what I am doing wrong but I can't seem to get the installer on the USB stick to run without errors and then stopping.

I have tried XPEnology_DS3612xs_2668_4.1++ and the one in this forum synoboot_microserver.img

(https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5tpWhE ... BkN3c/edit).

I used the Win32 Disk Imager to install it on three different USB sticks.

The microserver seems to boot from the memory stick OK but then gets stuck. It seems to see the network card OK but then:

"...

[ 13.552788] sde: sde1 sde2

[ 13.559352] sd 4 :0 :0 :0 [sde] No Caching mode page present

[ 13.559418] sd 4 :0 :0 :0 [sde] Assuming drive cache : write through

[ 13.559476] sd 4 :0 :0 :0 [sde] Attached SCSI removable disk"

My HP N40L microserver is standard except it has 8GB of ram, a DVD drive and a Seagate 3TB (it still has the original 250GB installed). I have disconnected the Seagate & DVD ROM.

Can anybody give me a hint to where I am going wrong as I would really like to have a go at running this system?

OK, First you conseil to make you bios by " Load Default"

Second: for your usb with synoboot_microserver.img i conseil to use HDD RAW COPY TOOL

And normaly is good, it's very easy.

Status Work or no Work with NL40...

Work :

- Install easy

- reboot ok

-shutdown ok

- Harddrive ok

- All parkage Syno ok

NO Work:

- the integrated NIC is supported.

- I can't get hdd hibernation working. It says "Failed to setup WOL"

- reduc low consumation

IF you are solution welldone.

See you :mrgreen:

Edited by Guest

Hi, I received my new N40L, I updated my BIOS with the BIOS UNLOCKED I format a USB drive with 1GB "HDDRawCopy1.02Portable" and the image "synoboot_microserver.img" by nighthawk, install with synology assistant, lan to DHCP , reboot,and then connect to "root" with "winscp" and I copy files (*.ko) into /lib/modules/ by nighthawk.

works without any problem!

Work:

- Install easy

- Reboot ok

ok-shutdown

- Harddrive ok

- All park distance control Syno ok

- The integrated NIC is supported => gigabit full duplex (160 MB / sec read / write) of the testing performed n40l to PC and copy to / from a SSD installed on the PC.

N40L, hacked bios, 2GB (original), 250GB HDD (original - Vertical disk bay on the left)

I would like to 16GB of RAM (2 * 8), I saw on some forum that this was possible, someone will have there a reference of RAM compatible?

I have not tested this but:

2x 8GB: Patriot Gamer 2 Series 16GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM PC3 10666 (PGD316G1333ELK)

ARES G.Skill 16 GB: 2 x 8 GB Memory - DIMM 240-pin - 1333 MHz (PC3-10666) - 1.5 V

Kingston 16GB Ram KVR1333D3E9SK2/16

Could we simply update 4.2 with a file. using Pat Utility update DSM integrated?

I have a different mac address after each reboot ...

I did not try to change the vender file, because it has not indicated that it matches that used by the DSM.

how to force the MAC?