XPEnology Community

[SOLVED] HP Proliant N40L MicroServer native support

jnus

Sorry, I presumed you had one already. But, if the specific wifi dongle does not work you can put in a driver request.

Well I managed to borrow a WLAN device that’s on the Synology approved list.

With the 4.2 it was horrible to Work with. It seemed that the buffer on the USB ran out of memory all the time or something.

I then decided to install the 4.3 update 4 on the N40L. All is fine except that the N40L now don’t want to recognize any USB devices when in Synology.

Anyone got the same problem?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this has already been answered, I think I have searched wide and far, but maybe not enough, if that is the case I am sorry...

And I have a HP Microserver N36L

However, I have Xpenology installed 5.4458 and with Gnoboot. (otherwise no modifications, I started out with the trantor 3810 and upgraded to 5beta and then to 4458)

When I look in my router it says I have 1Gbit speed, so does the Xpenology in it's settings, but I max out at 11-12 Mbytes copy speed in my network (which is somewhat a maxed out 100Mbit connection I guess)

Anyone have a clue as to how I can get 1Gbit speed on my unit? (All of my network is 1Gbit, all switches, router, etc.)

I don't know if this has already been answered, I think I have searched wide and far, but maybe not enough, if that is the case I am sorry...

However, I have Xpenology installed 5.4458 and with Gnoboot. (otherwise no modifications, I started out with the trantor 3810 and upgraded to 5beta and then to 4458)

When I look in my router it says I have 1Gbit speed, so does the Xpenology in it's settings, but I max out at 11-12 Mbytes copy speed in my network (which is somewhat a maxed out 100Mbit connection I guess)

Anyone have a clue as to how I can get 1Gbit speed on my unit? (All of my network is 1Gbit, all switches, router, etc.)

Have you re-setup a static ip and re-done you router config in control panel?

HI all,

I'm currently using a N54L with 4.3 DSM, everything is working perfectly !

I want to add one ethernet controller to use with my other VLAN and also one USB3 controller.

Can somebody give me a link (amazon.co.uk / .de / ebay) of cheap compatible controller?

Thanks a lot

HI all,

I'm currently using a N54L with 4.3 DSM, everything is working perfectly !

I want to add one ethernet controller to use with my other VLAN and also one USB3 controller.

Can somebody give me a link (amazon.co.uk / .de / ebay) of cheap compatible controller?

Thanks a lot

depends how many ports you want?

Single go for an Intel CT Card

Dual go for a HP NC360T card

• 3 weeks later...

I have an N54L running the newest 4.3 and was wondering which DSM 5 you used to upgrade your NAS and was there any issues with data loss? I am really interested in upgrading, but don't want to bork my system.

Thanks!

I have a n40l, has anyone else been having issues with the internal data port? initially i was able to see my 5th drive, but now its only seeing the 4 main ones. under freeness, I can see all 5 without issue

it looks like an issue with the timing wake up plan. the timings for wakeup where written into the BIOS and destroy the setting.

To see your 5th or 6th drive again you have to change SATA IDE Combined Mode to [Disabled]

• 4 weeks later...

I have an N54L running the newest 4.3 and was wondering which DSM 5 you used to upgrade your NAS and was there any issues with data loss? I am really interested in upgrading, but don't want to bork my system.

Thanks!

Installing DSM 5:

- Download gnoboot - alpha10.5 http://www.gnoboot.me/p/blog-page.html Password: 6n0boot-AlpHaTen.5

- Download Win32DiskImager - 0.9.5 -install http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/files/Archive/

- Download DSM_DS3612xs_4458.pat http://ukdl.synology.com/download/DSM/5.0/4458/DSM_DS3612xs_4458.pat

- Download synology assistant

- Create USB gnoboot alpha10.5 - key ( with Win32DiskImager )

- Connect a monitor and keyboard N54L

- Insert the USB key and boot from gnome- me (at the end of the boot , it requires user and password diskstation black screen on linux)

- Go on your PC, launch Synology Assistant to detect your nas , click on it and the installation, showing him where the PAT file

- Next page: Either you can upgrade your configuration with all your set-ups, or do a fresh install. On both case, you're NOT going to loose ALL your data. But SAFETY FIRST! Do a backup of your important documents.

- Next page is your name/password

- DONE!

Installing update 2:

- Download this file : http://ukdl.synology.com/download/DSM/4.3/3827/

- Enable SSH

- Go in Control Panel and click on " Update DSM " and click on manuel update, and choose your file

NOW STOP !!

- Connect to your serveur in SSH and type this commands:

sed ‘s/flashupdateDeb/flashupdateDeb1/’ /autoupd@te.info > /autoupd@te.info1

mv /autoupd@te.info1 /autoupd@te.info

- Go back to your server and press ok. You should have a page where you have to wait 10 mins.

Change the serial number of the server:

- Connect the browser on the server

- Use FileSation

- Go to the usbshare1 then boot directory and grub

- Look for menu_alph.lst file

- Using a text editor , add sn = xxxx line : kernel / zImage .... so you should get something like this: kernel / zImage sn = xxx (put what you want)

- File > Save

DONE!! :grin:

For more information, you can go on :

- http://cyanlabs.co.uk/news/install-xpenology-on-the-n54l-without-esxi

- http://maison-et-domotique.com/books/xpenology-mise-jour-du-proliant-vers-synology-dsm-5/ (in French, but it's a step-by-step tutorial and you can translate it with google traduction)

I have a n40l, has anyone else been having issues with the internal data port? initially i was able to see my 5th drive, but now its only seeing the 4 main ones. under freeness, I can see all 5 without issue

Have you found a solution yet? I am still searching...

You have realy checked, that the BIOS has'nt turned the SATA IDE Combined Mode for the 5th drive to enabled? It have to be disabled.

• 2 weeks later...
Does the WOL option work for you ? (DSM5-4458)

No WOL doe not work with nanoboot or gnoboot but maybe im doing something wrong

have checked setting, mac addressed all seem correct. if anyone has some info

please shout.

hey. I just fond how to get WOL working on my HP . Try this link:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=665

I followed the second post, the one in French.

Works Perfectly. I'm using DSM5-4458 update 2 with gnoboot.

If you have problem to understand French, please tell me, i can translate for you if needed. :smile:

I don't know if it is possible but...

With N54L+biosmod + internal SATA --> Rack SATA , eSATA = eSATA case

trantor 4.3 upgraded --> Nanoboot 5.0.24 + 4493 PAT

Hot Plug Works, Synology Detects when it's plugged but don't mount the volume (created on DSM)

mHkVSNn.png

Rebooting with it plugged fixed this.

There's any way of safe unmount for true Hot-swap of Backup Drives?

HFS+ drives could be mounted over SSH without problems into any shared folder, but safe eject?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys from Spain.

i'm a new hp nl54 user, with w7, but i'd like to try this amazing OS. I'm lost with all versions (nanobbot, gnoboot, 4.3, 5.0...). Which one should I choose??? I have the instalation guide, but i don't find the download link to the latest versions, can you give me a helping hand, please, i'm a noob. :roll:

PS: i have a 4tb HDD with a lot of movies, music... in nl54, will i lose it?

PS2: Sorry for my poor English :sad:

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!