XPEnology Community

[SOLVED] HP Proliant N40L MicroServer native support

jnus

what kind of disk read / write speed do you get with RAID5 with these HP Microservers?

I have tested HP N54L (same MB, faster CPU at 2.2Ghz) With single NIC its saturated 1Gbps link. With dual 1Gb NICs and LAG ~150MBps without jumbo frames. Basically similar performance as DS412+

VPN Server on DSM 4.2 does not work, anyone try? :oops:

I also am unable to get it to work on the N40L but it works fine on the Revo using the same pat file.

Its the last bug I need to get fixed

My iPhone just states connection and then as soon as a connection is made it is terminated :eek:

DSM 4.2 is working well without any trouble on my N40L except WOL.

I have enabled all options about WOL from the BIOS.

Has anyone tried WOL on DSM 4.2 successfully? Please help!

PS:WOL worked fine on WIN7.

Edited by Guest

Hi All, I think i know how to enable the eSata ports to behave as external ports now: http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=20661&start=270

i have a Sata to small form factor eSata bracket

. 1) enable the SSH service and login to NAS through SSH.

. 2) go to and edit /etc/synoinfo.conf (you can (must) also edit /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf because idk what file is primary).

For the N40l there is 6 ports, the internal ones are 1(left) to 4 (right). so is left 0 and 5

The easiest to identify the port number is to connect a disk on the ports, look at the port number in the storage manager and generate the masks as below:

. internalportcfg="0x1e" = 1e (hex) = 00011110 (binary) = four internal SATA ports enabled (on mask 1-4)

. esataportcfg="0x21" = 21 (hex) = 00100001 (binary)= two ESATA ports (0,5) (because 1-4 internal ICH9R sata ports).

It seem to have been mentionned in the chinese forum here: http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=632&p=1806&hilit=eSata#p1806 but could not translate the page using google or chrome for some reason...

Hi all, i just registered to give a BIG thankyou!

Mi microserver is working nice, very easy to setup, both nics recognized... can't wait to push it.

I'm getting around 88mb/s on my gigabit network. I suppose i can't get much more from my disks anyway. What are your speeds?

Hello,

at first thanks for your work and all knowledges/advices you are sharing !

After reading most of the 16 pages, i've still some questions.

I have a Nl40. Bios modded, 4 Go ram, some hdd's :wink:

I just discovered this forum, and since this morning try to put dsm42, but lot of issues.

I took *.img and *.pat from nighthawk .

I have a new formatted 750 Go

I boot on the usb

with another pc with ubuntu i found the synology

I indicate the *.pat

have to wait for around 600 seconds

When i seem in the last run always connection error ....

Do you have an idea ?

Thanks.

i had the same issue, problem is that you are probably getting a different IP address. You can also have problem with the usb boot, since it seems it gets modified (and ruined) every time it reboots.

I'm not the expert (i just managed to get it working yesterday) but this i would try,

1. Check for a different ip address in your browser (usually one up of the previuos one you had)

2. Re-write the USB drive with the .img of nighthawk

I'm thinking in making a easy step by step guide to get this working, but i still need to understand a few things.

How important is to change mac adress and serial number? I'd seen a few posts with this, but i would like to know the internals.

If this is stable enough i plan to have like 2 physical machines, and 4-5 virtual machines running DS. I'd like to know what is the better approach to this. (will be using ESXi probably)

Also, what are your transfer speeds?

Well,

it's ok, strange ...

Error connection, but when i reboot, i choose synology1 in Grub, and then i'm able to be on Dms.

Currently i will not go more than this test. i've 6 To to move on new discs, Dms is not able to mount them like they are.

I'll prepare next steps with buying some new HDD. :wink:

Thanks all.

Hello together,

do you know if this Version is working on a N54l. I just bought one and tried to install, but it always complains that the image (*.pat) is damaged. I tried a few different ones.

Do i need a modified bios?

I also have the problem, if i want to change the mac, i transfer the image to the usb stick and downloaded the ext2fs driver. then i opened the explorer and clicked on the stick. But on the stick i can't find a file called vender.

Best regards

do you know if this Version is working on a N54l.

Yes it works on N54L the same way as on N40L. It is the same server with the only difference is faster CPU.

Do i need a modified bios?

You don't have to, but its recommended if you want to use all (six) SATA ports on full speed.

Hi all:

May I ask a question:

does modify real MAC is necessary?

i saw the forward topics and that is not necessary to modify, right?

Coz i have installed DSM4.2 in my N40L, Is not can also modify the real MAC in usb stick?

Another thing about BIOS, May i choice Not update BIOS?

thank advice.

Edited by Guest

I hoped it would make the the port multiplexor working on N40L. Unfortunately no.

I have a San digital 5 bay esata enclosure. only one drive shows up in the storage manager.

Hi All, I think i know how to enable the eSata ports to behave as external ports now: http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=20661&start=270

i have a Sata to small form factor eSata bracket

. 1) enable the SSH service and login to NAS through SSH.

. 2) go to and edit /etc/synoinfo.conf (you can (must) also edit /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf because idk what file is primary).

For the N40l there is 6 ports, the internal ones are 1(left) to 4 (right). so is left 0 and 5

The easiest to identify the port number is to connect a disk on the ports, look at the port number in the storage manager and generate the masks as below:

. internalportcfg="0x1e" = 1e (hex) = 00011110 (binary) = four internal SATA ports enabled (on mask 1-4)

. esataportcfg="0x21" = 21 (hex) = 00100001 (binary)= two ESATA ports (0,5) (because 1-4 internal ICH9R sata ports).

It seem to have been mentionned in the chinese forum here: http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=632&p=1806&hilit=eSata#p1806 but could not translate the page using google or chrome for some reason...

it was working under windows 8 after apply the AMD driver (guide link in my post above). So it looks like to make the port multiplier work, both bios and the driver need to support it.

What puzzles me is that the guide says the port multiplier works out of box in linux. Coule it be that synology uses a different driver?

port multiplier is a hardware thing... i believe the hacked bios has such an option...

Now the DSM will only see the first partition, but should see all disks once supported/enabled (to be confirmed)

Edited by Guest

Hi all,

I've installed the last image given by nighthawk, but I can't find a solution for fixing MAC Address. Does anyone have a solution which is working ?

Thanks

Edit the boot conf on the usb key you are booting from with the correct mac adrress.

Edit the boot conf on the usb key you are booting from with the correct mac adrress.

I tried to insert mac1=aabbccddeeff at the end of file but didn't work.

Do you know what I need to write ?

Here is my grub.conf :

#serial --unit=0 --speed=115200

#terminal serial

default 1

timeout 4

hiddenmenu

fallback 0

title SYNOLOGY_1

root (hd0,0)

hw_model

kernel /zImage root=/dev/md0 ihd_num=5 netif_num=1 syno_hw_version=RS3612xs