XPEnology Community

[SOLVED] HP Proliant N40L MicroServer native support

jnus

Regarding this "HDD never goes into hibernation" thing on N40L XPENOLOGY, I read from somewhere else about a potential solution.

It says that synology would not get into hibernation so long as a USB drive is attached. So the quickest solution would be take out the USB boot drive after staring up the unit. But, you will not be able to reboot if you have a power loss or something.

Or, we can install the OS on a SSD or SATA DOM, and add the drive to the fifth SATA position, i.e, the optical drive slot. Then change BIOS to boot from this slot. But, to make such a boot SSD or boot SATA DOM, winImageWriter would not work. We will need to use a command line program called "physdiskwrite".

Just some suggestion. I will give it a spin with a CF card acting like a SATA DOM. Of course, I need to order a CF to SATA adaptor from Amazon first....

Hi all,

I've successfully install Xpenology on my N40L and it works perfectly ! Thanks a lot.

But i've juste any mistake, after edit vendor file, my mac address isn't not the real mac, address is new after each reboot, i've forgot a step ?

Thanks,

Best regards

Hi', i'm new on this forum and i'm try to install a new n40l server, using several files of this topi i get the initial screen of installatin, but after downloading *.pat file the installation stop at 65% say me file is corrupted, i try with file included in some message from this topic, and with NEW file download from synology website, where is my mistake?

many thanks

Everything works wonderful. Very big thank you. The only request i have is that is there anyway you can show me how to change/edit mac address and serial number of the box? I tried hex editor but never worked.

Thanks

DM

I found a simple way to edit mac address and serial number.

Look on your n40L via dsm in which way your usb key is mounted, go in mount point, look inside /boot/grub you will see grub.conf, edit, change serial number in boot command-line and add at the end of the command line, something like: mac1=aabbccddeeff comment out with (#) vender save, reboot maybe you serial number and macaddress are changed

Hi, everything fine after updated DSM 4.2 but the SATA port 4 (i.e. not the HD rack mount) can't be recognized. So, I just use 4 Disks only. Thank you!

On my n40l (with patched bios) i have all 5 internal drives.

5'th hdd contains DSM with "trash" partition, other 4 drives contains all usefull files.

Hi. Tell me how to modify the BIOS for N40l. Where to download the upgraded firmware for 5 sata. And how preproshit BIOS?

Hi, everything fine after updated DSM 4.2 but the SATA port 4 (i.e. not the HD rack mount) can't be recognized. So, I just use 4 Disks only. Thank you!

On my n40l (with patched bios) i have all 5 internal drives.

5'th hdd contains DSM with "trash" partition, other 4 drives contains all usefull files.

Hi. Tell me how to modify the BIOS for N40l. Where to download the upgraded firmware for 5 sata. And how preproshit BIOS?

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index. ... -features/

Look on your n40L via dsm in which way your usb key is mounted, go in mount point, look inside /boot/grub you will see grub.conf, edit, change serial number in boot command-line and add at the end of the command line, something like: mac1=aabbccddeeff comment out with (#) vender save, reboot maybe you serial number and macaddress are changed

it doesn't work at all. which dsm you are using?(version? where you get it from? nighthawk or odie82544)? can you post your grub.conf? thanks.

all right, i answere my own question. you have to comment out chksum, vender and hw_model to make it works.

it doesn't work at all. which dsm you are using?(version? where you get it from? nighthawk or odie82544)? can you post your grub.conf? thanks.

all right, i answere my own question. you have to comment out chksum, vender and hw_model to make it works.

Yes, i apoligize for wrong answer

Take a look at http://homeservershow.com/hp-proliant-n ... sited.html

Thanks for the help with the firmware BIOS. And how to set it up? At startup, the system sees all the HDD, but downloading XREnology visible only in the cart wheels, 4 discs + system flash drive to the motherboard.

What to do?

Hello,

the hibernation of the disks now work, when i remove the usb stick from the system :grin:

But I need a second gigabit nic and wanted to know, which card can fit in the chassis and works with nighthawks image???

Can you help me?

Hello,

the hibernation of the disks now work, when i remove the usb stick from the system :grin:

Hmmm. I wonder if one can install the boot image to say a small SSD instead of a USB stick to have a solution that does not involve removing/reinserting the latter.

Would like to use the esata port as external sata port, but it consider the port as if it was internal. Do anybody has a workaround ?

I have 6x4TB up and running after doing the BIOS hack. ESATA -> SATA cable feed outside in.

Thanks a lot to nighthawk...

I have updated to DSM4.2 on my N40L successfully. Somehow, I have modified the vendor file with my N40L MAC address. But the strange part is, for every reboot, the MAC address of the box changed. Strange.

Hi there,

If anyone can help me out here please, I would be very grateful.

I have a new HP N40L and I did the following:

1. Flashed the mod bios no problem here as per instructions on this forum

2. Copied nighthawk synoboot_microserver.img to my usb stick using this tool here http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-Raw-Copy-Tool/

3. Changed the MAC address in "vender" file on a second partition to coincide with my stock MAC address

4. I loaded default setting on the Server Bios.

5. Booted using the usb stick above no problem here and then removed the usb stick

6. Connected to the server and tried to install

7. After setting password and so on, I use the .pat file that I have downloaded from the synology website here http://ukdl.synology.com/download/DiskStation/DSM4.2/3202/DSM_DS3612xs_3202.pat

8. The problem is that it skips formatting my Hard Drive and the it tries to install DSM and it fails with Server Error:Error=21

If anyone can help... please do so by pointing me to the right path.

Thank

Thanks to nighthawk

I successed to inslall N40L, but the mac address continue to changed. :oops:

I modified vender file by hex code, but it was same problem.

The other method "http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55" was same.

How can I do the mac address change?

I solved this problem.

I changed grub.conf file by linux.

Edited by Guest

Hi, is anyone using NFS exports on their N40? I tested with the VMware image and the NFS worked fine. On the N40, the exports show up but cannot be accessed. I've tried editing the exports file but still no joy-settings the same as the way I set up on the VM. The only difference is that I'm running the N40 DSM image instead of the generic one.

Can anyone help? Everything else is working perfectly.

Thanks in advance.

Hi

I have installed from fresh and created volumes and my old problem has returned.

After I have installed the VPN Server application the N40L then does not download any further packages from Synology, they just stay at 0% downloaded.

Is there a fix for this?

Thanks