XPEnology Community

RedPill TinyCore Loader Installation Guide for DSM 7.0.1 BareMetal

Peter Suh

This guide is dedicated to installing DSM 7.0.1 BareMetal.

It is a translation from Korean to English using a translator.

Please understand if there is a slight misunderstanding.

Existing RedPill, which has been released since last year, can generate IMG files directly through the bootloader compilation process only if Linux is available separately.

This tinyCore RedPill provides a USB boot image with tinyCore Linux.

It's much easier to work without having to install Linux separately.

As usual, you can add the desired driver directly from the selection header and build it.

Tinycore supports the following platforms (DS918+/DS3615xs/DS3617xs/DS3622xs+/DS1621+/DV3221/DS920+).

You can continuously change the bootloader without re-creating the image (model/sn/mac, etc.)

Tinycore supports both legacy versions for baremetal and virtual environments.

1. Prepare bootloader IMG file

With the Download button in the middle of the GITHUB link below.Download the gz file.

In it, 0.4.6 version img.You can unzip the gz file again and use the img file.

(All files)

https://github.com/pocopico/tinycore-redpill

(for LEGACY)

https://github.com/pocopico/tinycore-redpill/raw/main/tinycore-redpill.v0.4.6.img.gz

(for UEFI)

https://github.com/pocopico/tinycore-redpill/raw/main/tinycore-redpill-uefi.v0.4.6.img.gz

(for VMWARE)

https://github.com/pocopico/tinycore-redpill/raw/main/tinycore-redpill.v0.4.6.vmdk.gz

2. Bootloader IMG file USB recording

Use the above tinycore-redpill.v0.4.6.img file to burn to USB with convenient image tools such as WinImage and Rufus.

There is no need to pre-adjust the configuration file to modify the VID/PID/Serial/MAC/SATAPortMap like JUN loader.

If you want to create a USB image on Mac or Linux, you can use the following DD command at the terminal.

(Suppose the USB DEVICE ID identified by diskutil is disk4)

sudo diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk4

sudo dd if=/Users/MyAccount/Downloads/tinycore-redpill.v0.4.6.img of=/dev/disk4 bs=4m

agree eject.

3.tinyCore Linux Boot

USB boot by plugging into the PC you want to use as XPENOLOGY (you can start using UEFI 1 partition or USB CSM)

Only TinyCore Linux menu appears and runs automatically

Start the terminal app on the far right icon.

Use the ifconfig command to verify the ip address where the en0 LAN card is automatically allocated.

220210_lec_e7397197e78d8a0ccb100073529ff34d3adfbf13.thumb.jpg.86e7bf92ddc81fe5ac644d0f488841e9.jpg

4. CONFIG adjustment after SSH connection

Connect ssh from another PC, such as putty. ( id:tc / pass : P@ssw0rd )

After connecting, update to the latest version with the following command.

tc@box:~$ ./rploader.sh update now

Tinycore Redpill is still in a stable state of stabilization.

PocoPico, the developer of this program, will frequently fix bugs and announce rebuilding.

There's a possibility that this rebuild will happen from time to time.

Even if you use the first IMG file version of 0.4.6, you can continue to receive real-time updates of changes through the Internet.

Therefore, before using it for the first time, please make sure to download the final patch status with the update option.

If you've continued to migrate from JUN's XPhenology,

tc@box:~$vi user_config.json

The user_config.json file's VID/PID/Sn/Mac/SataPortMap, etc. are existing grub.Please refer to the cfg and insert it as it is.

For new installers, perform serial GEN/USB VID, PID auto detect, SataPortMap auto detect, etc. as follows.

The next process is DS3622xs+, which is currently undergoing the most stable session first. I will focus on explaining.

tc@box:~$ ./rploader.sh serialgen DS3622xs+

tc@box:~$ ./rploader.sh identifyusb now

tc@box:~$./rploader.sh satamap now (HBA card users are not required)

You can see that the contents of user_config.json are changed automatically.

Finally, it is common for existing users and new installers.

tc@box:~$catuser_config.json, assuming there are 4 built-in sata ports.

SataPortMap = "4",

DiskIdxMap = "00"

Please check if it is changed to the back.

After find.synology.com, you may not be able to find the SATA HDD during DSM installation.

The following is an example when a 6-port SATA expansion card is installed.

SataPortMap = "46",

DiskIdxMap = "0000"

(For those who use cards such as H200, H310, H710, etc., exceptional, you do not need to erase the option of this SataPortMap and DiskIdxMap itself.

Please erase the lines of the above two options in the vi editor and organize them well so that they don't end with Syntex errors. Of course.

./rploader.sh satamap now command is not required.)

5.BIOS built-in SATA port Hot Plug disable -> enable (important)

To avoid temporarily reducing the SataPortMap value set above by the number of HDD physically connected by Sata cable during DSM installation,

Be sure to turn on the Hot Plug function.

This reduces the probability of encountering an error message saying that the HDD cannot be found because the number of SataPortMap automatically above is recognized as normal recognized.

However, if M.2 and Sata ports are Muxed Sata ports that share Lane, it should be considered unusable.

6. Build bootloader after SSH connection

When you have finished adding the above extension driver, you will finally build the bootloader.

tc@box:~$ ./rploader.sh build broadwellnk-7.0.1-42218

The list of supported platforms can only be found in Help with the following commands:

tc@box:~$ ./rploader.sh

7. backup and reboot for bootloader use

After successfully completing the build, back up the configuration with the following command and restart the genology with USB.

tc@box:~$ filetool.sh -b &&/usr/bin/exitcheck.sh

Or

tc@box:~$ ./rploader.sh backup now

tc@box:~$ sudo reboot

It has the same effect.

The backed up settings and ext drivers remain the same.

The next time TinyCore Linux starts for correction, the setting value will be restored from the mydata.tgz file.

8. Launch the Grub Menu

BareMetal must select the first USB boot menu.

The first USB menu will be automatically selected.

The last selected menu will be stored and used for the next boot.

1419160071_2022-04-1010_29_22.thumb.png.d021871c672628a363107a0a549c318d.png

9. Installing DSM with find.synology.com

On an XPhenology PC,

There is a delay of about 1 to 2 minutes for IP allocation, so please wait a little longer.

There is nothing more to do on this XPhenology PC once you have checked the Kernel boot message.

Now look for XPhenology on another PC at find.synology.com.

If found successfully, proceed with the initial installation of DSM or the expected migration DSM installation process.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

upgraded baremetal HP N54L to 7.0.1 ds3615xs with tinycore. It was said somewhere here that powerbutton and wake on lan should work out of the box, but it does not...

Managed to get powerbutton to work after adding two extensions during loader build:

sudo ./rploader.sh ext bromolow-7.0.1-42218 add https://github.com/jumkey/redpill-load/raw/develop/redpill-acpid/rpext-index.json

sudo ./rploader.sh ext bromolow-7.0.1-42218 add https://github.com/jimmyGALLAND/redpill-ext/raw/master/acpid/rpext-index.json

Can't get WOL to work still... MAC address is the physical address of nic and it is the same in loader, wol enabled in bios and in the DSM control panel. it worked fine on dsm 6.3. Maybe there is some extension for WOL like for powerbutton?)

4 hours ago, SilverGhost said:

upgraded baremetal HP N54L to 7.0.1 ds3615xs with tinycore. It was said somewhere here that powerbutton and wake on lan should work out of the box, but it does not...

Managed to get powerbutton to work after adding two extensions during loader build:

sudo ./rploader.sh ext bromolow-7.0.1-42218 add https://github.com/jumkey/redpill-load/raw/develop/redpill-acpid/rpext-index.json

sudo ./rploader.sh ext bromolow-7.0.1-42218 add https://github.com/jimmyGALLAND/redpill-ext/raw/master/acpid/rpext-index.json

Can't get WOL to work still... MAC address is the physical address of nic and it is the same in loader, wol enabled in bios and in the DSM control panel. it worked fine on dsm 6.3. Maybe there is some extension for WOL like for powerbutton?)

(1) Original developer Thorgroup team has identified the kernel timer issue(?) but had abruptly left the scene before its fixed.

(2) I really appreciate every kind of their fundamental effort so that now we can have different working loaders.
(3) I pick up bits by bits information by going through all different posts, and really make my appreciation again on Peter's effort in making working tutorial.

(4) Not sure why you want to complain "WOL doesnt work" in tutorial section, I guess here is not the "Developer discussion section", right? As long as no other developers take over the original project to fix #1, this will become the known issue, even though it seems unknown to you.

• Angry 1

The question I have is, when you do the manual installation of dsm (701 or 71) is the user supposed to use genuine pat directly from synology web site?

or use the pat file rp created in the cache folder (that the user was supposed to transfer from the usb to local storage).

I personally used the genuine pat file, without error... but people seem to be getting stuck at % during install... so did I do it wrong by using the genuine pat file? was I suppose to use the rp created pat from the usb?

Edited by phone guy

13 hours ago, phone guy said:

The question I have is, when you do the manual installation of dsm (701 or 71) is the user supposed to use genuine pat directly from synology web site?

or use the pat file rp created in the cache folder (that the user was supposed to transfer from the usb to local storage).

I personally used the genuine pat file, without error... but people seem to be getting stuck at % during install... so did I do it wrong by using the genuine pat file? was I suppose to use the rp created pat from the usb?

Users do not need to pay attention to encryption and decryption pats mentioned in 7.1.

Since it is intended to be used inside TC, users can simply download the pat file on the Synology homepage and perform manual installation in the DSM manager as before. This will also be mentioned in the manual for version 7.1 that will be completed in the future.

• Like 1

Hi Peter Suh

thank you for the guide please can you explain in short steps which command is nessesary for build the Loader 3622xs 7.1.42661 fresh install ?? because when i do this is see in the ILO that the vid and PID has changed to other variables as the usb stick has and the result is error 13 the pat file is damaged or corrupt.

when i changed the usb stick vid and pid to the values that i can see in the console line from redpill ILO (ssh to ilo serial port) that i have kernel panic and loader is not booting.

HW : Gen8 with 16GB Ram Intel x520 SFP+ adapater CPU intel xeon 1230v2 3615xs 7.1.42661 is working great but i will try 3622xs 7.1.42661 :-)

thank you very much and have a nice day michael 

Edited by nemesis122

4 minutes ago, nemesis122 said:

Hi Peter Suh

thank you for the guide please can you explain in short steps which command is nessesary for build the Loader 3622xs 7.1.42661 fresh install ?? because when i do this is see in the ILO that the vid and PID has changed to other variables as the usb stick has and the result is error 13 the pat file is damaged or corrupt.

when i changed the usb stick vid and pid to the values that i can see in the console line from redpill ILO (ssh to ilo serial port) that i have kernel panic and loader is not booting.

HW : Gen8 with 16GB Ram Intel x520 SFP+ adapater CPU intel xeon 1230v2

thank you very much and have a nice day michael 

I uploaded the full version guide for dsm 7.1 installation below as a new topic in the tutorial just now and I am waiting for approval.
You will be able to read it after it is approved.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Sundevil said:

I have GEN8 and ssd Samsung 970 EVO 1TB in PCI slot, however dsm 7.0.1 3622xs doesn’t see it

For NVMe SSD Cache issues, please follow the guide below.

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/58072-how-to-have-ds3622xs-recognize-nvme-ssd-cache-drive-maybe-works-on-other-models/?tab=comments#comment-268999

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dvalin21 said:

Thank you @Peter Suh for all the work you and @pocopico have done. We really appreciate you guys. I've shared this link to the xpenology Facebook group. There should be many more people coming in

7.1 Build Guide is coming soon.
Currently, the approval has been delayed and the approval has been urged.
For now, it would be better to share 7.1 than 7.0.1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2022 at 5:07 AM, Peter Suh said:

7.1 Build Guide is coming soon.
Currently, the approval has been delayed and the approval has been urged.
For now, it would be better to share 7.1 than 7.0.1.

The RedPill Tinycore loader thread is huge.

This guide is golden!

You guys are doing an incredible job. Looking forward for your 7.1 Build Guide

3 hours ago, giacomoleopardo said:

The RedPill Tinycore loader thread is huge.

This guide is golden!

You guys are doing an incredible job. Looking forward for your 7.1 Build Guide

It is the latest method for 7.1.

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/60130-redpill-tinycore-loader-installation-guide-for-dsm-71-baremetal/?do=findComment&comment=278837

• 1 month later...

According to the manager's guidance, each topic has been recently guided so that posts that fit the nature of the topic are written.

In this guide topic, we will not answer questions related to loader builds in the future.

The Noob Lounge and the general questions board seem to be a good place for this.

• Confused 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/1/2022 at 12:58 PM, Peter Suh said:

According to the manager's guidance, each topic has been recently guided so that posts that fit the nature of the topic are written.

In this guide topic, we will not answer questions related to loader builds in the future.

The Noob Lounge and the general questions board seem to be a good place for this.

I also respect the efforts of the mediators at the time, but it seems that the rules set at that time are not being followed.  This seems to be due to the limitation of the forum's bulletin board function.  It was the moderator's will to accurately categorize the topic according to the nature of the topic, but now I am posting it freely again.  It seems to be tailored to the users themselves to try not to deviate from the topic of possible topics.  It seems that some people are confused, so I will freely answer questions on this topic again.

Having problems at last part the build 
What am I doing wrong ??? 

Please help 

Mike [emoji20]
prob.txt

Would you like to view it through my m shell instead of using rploader.sh directly? The problem will be easily solved.

Use the command below.

curl --location "https://github.com/PeterSuh-Q3/tinycore-redpill/raw/main/my.sh.gz" -O

tar -zxvf my.sh.gz

./my.sh DS3622xs+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Peter 

I have managed to create the  USB now but I can only get it to see the 1 HDD I think it was this part 

After find.synology.com, you may not be able to find the SATA HDD during DSM installation.

SataPortMap = "46",

DiskIdxMap = "0000"

I have 6 HDD connected to my Motherboard it is a  ASUS  P6X58D-E. looks like its a Marvell controller they all show up in bios 

can I edit any of the files to get them to show up now or do I have to start again?

Thank you once again for all your help :)

Regards 

Mike 

1 hour ago, MickeyMouse said:

Hi Peter 

I have managed to create the  USB now but I can only get it to see the 1 HDD I think it was this part 

SataPortMap = "46",

DiskIdxMap = "0000"

I have 6 HDD connected to my Motherboard it is a  ASUS  P6X58D-E. looks like its a Marvell controller they all show up in bios 

can I edit any of the files to get them to show up now or do I have to start again?

Thank you once again for all your help :)

Regards 

Mike 

i would check carefully the mobo bios and sata setup, this spec says 6+2 3gb+6gb sata ports,

https://bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/motherboards/asus-p6x58d-e-review/1/

disable the firewire, audio, check sata ahci, maybe disable the 2 6gb sata (if possible) that makes the setup easier with 6 drives, blank values as Peter says or try "6"/"00" or "62"/"0006" or m shell script

I've tested a similar board from the same era with similar specs with tcrp build works ok with the right bios settings.

Hi Peter 

SataPortMap = "46",

DiskIdxMap = "0000"

Thank you once again for all your help [emoji4]

Regards 

Mike 

In the case of a muxed port that shares the sata port rule, the sata port mapping may be interrupted. To prevent this, be sure to turn on hotswap or hotplug in the bios. Even after setting up hotplug like this, there are cases where you have to give up the muxed port. If that is the case, you should consider switching to a device tree-based model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk