XPEnology Community

XPenology DiskStation System Partition

hansiheiser

Hello there!

I did something increadibly stupid and basically destroyed my running system by renaming libc.so to something else... now the system is not booting anymore...

So, I used a ubuntu live dvd and mounted my disks (RAID5) using mdadm. But this mounted only volume1, that is my files. I cannot find the system files. I guess, if I could access the system partition and rename libc the system will work again.

Here's what lsblk gives me:

NAME FSTYPE SIZE MOUNTPOINT LABEL

sda 3,7T

├─sda1 linux_raid_member 2,4G

├─sda2 linux_raid_member 2G [sWAP]

└─sda3 linux_raid_member 3,6T DiskStation:2

sdb 3,7T

├─sdb1 linux_raid_member 2,4G

├─sdb2 linux_raid_member 2G [sWAP]

└─sdb3 linux_raid_member 3,6T DiskStation:2

sdc 3,7T

├─sdc1 linux_raid_member 2,4G

├─sdc2 linux_raid_member 2G [sWAP]

└─sdc3 linux_raid_member 3,6T DiskStation:2

sdd 3,7T

├─sdd1 linux_raid_member 2,4G

├─sdd2 linux_raid_member 2G [sWAP]

└─sdd3 linux_raid_member 3,6T DiskStation:2

sde 3,7T

├─sde1 linux_raid_member 2,4G

├─sde2 linux_raid_member 2G [sWAP]

└─sde3 linux_raid_member 3,6T DiskStation:2

sdf 3,7T

├─sdf1 linux_raid_member 2,4G

├─sdf2 linux_raid_member 2G [sWAP]

└─sdf3 linux_raid_member 3,6T DiskStation:2

sdg 7,5G

└─sdg1 vfat 16M /media/ubuntu/AFC2-F7F5

sr0 iso9660 1,4G /cdrom Ubuntu 16.04 LTS amd64

loop0 squashfs 1,3G /rofs

I can assemble sda3-sdf3 into an array and mount it. But I cannot do the same with sda1-sdf1, which I suppose is the system-partition.

Does anyone have an idea how I could access the system files? I dont want to setup the whole system again as this would mean backupping several TB of data...

this is probably a dumb suggestion, but if you had a spare hdd and created a new dsm install with no volume, you might be able to clone the system partition across to the other drives with disk partition software.

or if this 'new' drive is on sata channel 1 on the mobo/controller, you might find the system boots ok but the system partition on disks 2-n need repairing.

I finally solved the problem by going back to Diverge's suggestion. You can mount sda1 etc. by using -t ext4 for the mount command. With this accessing the relevant files was no problem. Now, my server is running again without any problems :smile:

Thanks for you help!

• 3 weeks later...