XPEnology Community

plex with asrock experiences

pwvandeursen

Anybody using plex with our xpenology setup? more specifically I have a Asrock itx Q1900dc.

I am experiencing stuttering with casting to Chromecast, and wondering if anybody else is experiencing the same.

It only happens with very large files that need to be transcoded or with series, where the subs need to be burned in.

I also checked the logging:

Aug 19, 2015 16:45:38 [0x10d84d000] VERBOSE - * speed =>

where the speed rarely gets above 1.5 or 2 without transcoding. With transcoding it drops below 1.0 and starts to stutter

Anybody else seeing the same, or has a way to improve the speed with plex to avoid stuttering? with the chip set I would expect it to do better.

Q1900-ITX is one of the most used mainboards for xpenology. Even my main xpenology NAS is build on it so lots of folks could reply to this thread but the thing is nobody comes to the forum once they've setup their systems :sad:

I have no problems with Plex, but on the other hand, I'm using it just on one device at a time and not a chromecast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like the board uses a Intel Celeron J1900 @ 1.99GHz with a passmark of 1879.

Without transcoding the cpu is more than sufficient.

Once content needs to be transcoded, you should consider that plex estimates a requirement of 1500 pass mark points to transcode a single 720p stream and 2000 pass mark points to transcode a single 1080p stream. If transcoding occours: either buy a "better" client device that nativly supports the codes your videos are encoded at, or pre-convert the videos to a codec your player supports.

I have the successor of this board and I can say that the onboard-CPU is defintily too weak for transcoding. So the chromecast can't play the video natively like all the iOS products (in combination with Plex). So therefore the Plex Server has to transcode and not to stream direct. If you need transcoding the best is to use an i3-CPU or higher.

Western Digital sells a new NAS "WD My Cloud Pro PR4100" with a Pentium CPU (N3710) and this NAS can transcode a 1080p video to Plex Players on iOS or, in your case, chromecast. In this case Plex Server can use of the coded instructions (hope this is the correct term) of the CPU. This is what I read about this NAS but couldn't test (don't have one).

Intel Pentium N3710 @ 1.60GHz has a passmark of 1673 for all 4 cores, and an everage of 477 for a single thread. (The J1900 has average of 531 for a single thread)

If the plex transcoder is not able to use all 4 cores during transcoding, than not even a single 720p thread can be transcoded with it!

The CPU has a GPU which support transcoding in hardware - there i no additional CPU register/feature that can accelearate media processing, except than raw horse power :wink:

I am pretty confident, that the transcoding solution in the WD My Cloud Pro PR4100 makes use of the GPU capabilities. There is no other possible explaination. But then it's definitly not using Plex. There is a single(!) plattform where Plex makes use of HW-acceleration during transcoding: NVIDIA SHIELD.