XPEnology Community

Which loader platform for my Intel i7 4771?

Nemesis

Hi all,

I'm on 6.2.3 with jun's loader. Would like to migrate to 7.0.1. 

My setup:

Intel i7-4771

Asus Z87-WS

2x 4TB HDD (volume 1)

1x 128GB SSD (volume 0).

Which architecture or model do I choose, and why? DS918+? DS3622xs+?

The table is not mentioning DSM 7.

On 4/5/2022 at 6:31 PM, Nemesis said:

Which architecture or model do I choose, and why? DS918+? DS3622xs+?

918+ as it gives you more options like using intel quicksync for hardware transcoding, you cpu would not be shackled (918+ has a limit of 8 core, ht included)

you might choose 920+ but thats new in tinycore and you could "migrate" to it later if you see any need (goes pretty much for all models)

3622 has  cpu core limit of 24 and might be better choice if lsi sas controllers are involved because there are lsi sas drivers natively in that model

as stated above its no choice for life, you can change the loader and migrate the installation into another model if you thin kit suits you better (like the dva model if nvidia support is of interest)

On 4/10/2022 at 2:53 PM, IG-88 said:

918+ as it gives you more options like using intel quicksync for hardware transcoding, you cpu would not be shackled (918+ has a limit of 8 core, ht included)

you might choose 920+ but thats new in tinycore and you could "migrate" to it later if you see any need (goes pretty much for all models)

3622 has  cpu core limit of 24 and might be better choice if lsi sas controllers are involved because there are lsi sas drivers natively in that model

as stated above its no choice for life, you can change the loader and migrate the installation into another model if you thin kit suits you better (like the dva model if nvidia support is of interest)

Is there a post or list explaining all the differences anywhere to make model selection easier?

Because I always thought try to pick model closest to the cpu your building on, cloest match wins... thats obviously not correct

• Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 5:38 AM, phone guy said:

Is there a post or list explaining all the differences anywhere to make model selection easier?

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

On 4/13/2022 at 5:38 AM, phone guy said:

Because I always thought try to pick model closest to the cpu your building on, cloest match wins... thats obviously not correct

it depends on what you need and also if there are drivers available for the hardware in question

if you want lsi controller then 36xx is better choice bat you cant have intel quick sync video with there units

especially with all the different new units in rp loader it can get even more complicated and you have more options

nvme support is now in all units but not in 3615, intel qsv can only be used 918/920 but the number of cpu threads is limited to 8 on these

its still a hacked appliance and there is no "one fits all", for now there is no guide that will help to select a unit beside the old one from above

the some limits are different now with 7.0.1 , like max cpu threads for 3617 and 3622 is 24 now but other still exist like min 4th gen intel for 918+ and there is still a max. when intel qsv is involved as the driver synolog uses is from 12/2017 and there is no support for some newer igpu's like 11th gen or above