XPEnology Community

HW decode/transcoding RP DSM7 VideoStation Pentium N3710 cpu ?? did I mess up?

phone guy

Wasnt sure where to post this, so I'll try here.

I successfully got dsm7u3 working on an older branded nas box (baremetal). It has a Pentium N3710 cpu and 16gb ram. This box did hw decode transcoding with its native software from the manufacture. Now it's running dsm7.  I installed video station directly from inside dsm7 and the package center, added a couple videos, and when I load videostation and try to play them it plays for a few seconds and buffers and keeps doing that on and on.

I was under the impression rp installs a modified i915 driver that transcodes (hw decode) on intel cpu's? I'm not sure?

How can I test if the hw decode is working or not?

assuming that you have 918+ you would check if there are devices in /dev/dri

if not check /lib/firmware/i915/

if there are only two files you might need more to make fill use of the driver

the pci id of the gpu would be 8086:22b1

the driver in 7.x is still the same as in 6.2.3 so you could check the list of id's from here

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm623-for-918-3615xs-3617xs/

(iGPU device ID's supported by synology's i915 driver)

if firmware is missing you can download the extra driver for 918+, extract the firmware files (extra.lzma\extra\usr\lib\firmware\i915\) and copy them to /lib/firmware/i915/

On 4/5/2022 at 5:08 AM, phone guy said:

and when I load videostation and try to play them it plays for a few seconds and buffers and keeps doing that on and on.

check cpu load, if it high in general then check if hardware transcoding in video station is on

also check to disable "HDR Tone Mapping", not sure it that is present in videostation but seems to be a problem with plex

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/47387-poor-plex-transcoding-performance/

Yes, the pci id os 8086:22b1 is listed is lspci

0000:00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:22b1] (rev 35)
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device [8086:7270]
        Kernel driver in use: i915

looking in the 2 dirs you said, this what I saw

root@PR4100:/# cd /dev/dri
root@PR4100:/dev/dri# ls
card0  renderD128
root@PR4100:/dev/dri# cd ..
root@PR4100:/dev# cd ..
root@PR4100:/# cd /lib/firmware/i915
root@PR4100:/lib/firmware/i915# ls
bxt_dmc_ver1_07.bin  glk_dmc_ver1_04.bin
root@PR4100:/lib/firmware/i915#

So i downloaded the 918+ v13.8 and extracted extra918plus_v0.13.8\extra\usr\lib\firmware\i915 files moved them to /lib/firmware/i915 dir and chmod 755 to all files

dir now looks like this

root@PR4100:/lib/firmware/i915# ls
bxt_dmc_ver1_07.bin  cnl_dmc_ver1_06.bin  glk_dmc_ver1_04.bin  kbl_dmc_ver1_04.bin  kbl_guc_ver9_39.bin  kbl_huc_ver02_00_1810.bin  skl_dmc_ver1_27.bin

Videostation is set to hw acceleration (on), there is no hdr tone mapping option that I see in videostation.

Still playing choppy?

Cpu use is around 40%

@IG-88 Ok, I just realized in videostation the hw acceleration is on, but set to public sharing disallow conversion. If I change that to allow, I can not press ok. I can not exit the vs settings if I change that pulldown to anything other than disallow conversion.  ???

While playing a file in vs, if I change quality to low, cpu usage goes up to about 60%

For the record, I am only testing to see if the i915 driver is working, I usually stream video from another app, but videostation seemed the best easiest way to test. Maybe this cpu just cant do it? I dunno.

On 4/11/2022 at 11:30 PM, phone guy said:

now what do I do?

don't use a version that's out only for days, use a tested version and wait until you read about all features you need to be working

whats wrong with 7.0.1? it gets updates and has all the new features already

just because its the latest does not mean it the best for what you want/need