XPEnology Community

VPN Server doesn't work?

Goober

I'm currently running 5644 Update 5 and I cant get any devices (Win10 PC, iOS) to connect to either PPTP or L2TP (haven't tried openvpn yet) and i've read conflicting reports about whether or not VPN Server is broken in Xpenology. If it matters it's a bare metal installation and i've checked to make sure im not blocking any ports or anything.

VPN works, both PPTP and Open VPN, I use it on a daily basis.

This message was reply to you via VPN.

Make sure you have properly configure the User privilege to the user allowed to connect.

Make sure ports forwarding are setup properly

Use Static IP on the receiving machine you want to remote into

yup, Exactly as Arcao said.

it's a lot cleaner (easier) to setup PPTP and OpenVPN since they are only 1 port,

but L2TP needs several ports, it's rather "dirty" but as long as you have all the ports forwarded properly, then it should work.

This is how i've setup port forarding in my DD-WRT router.

vpn5_zpsmwzmhjlz.png

When I try and connect using my iPad with PPTP it instantly says "You were disconnected by the communication device".

If i try with L2TP it says "The L2TP-VPN server did not respond".

:sad:

So I had this exact same issue, while I don't have an answer to why, I know for a fact that the VPN server did not like me logging in as the user that I first created with the initial install (or admin user). So what I did was create a user with no super privileges named 'vpnuser' and magically it allowed me to login as that user.

I have no reason why, but give it a try.