XPEnology Community

Required / Recommended BIOS Settings

gericb

Curious, at one point, I had found a post that indicated several BIOS settings that might need to be adjusted/on/off in order to be the most compatible or flat out be required to get things recognized and installed without issues, but after looking around this morning for a while can't seem to find such a document.  I wanted to be able to pass that along to a friend, along with some build tutorials from there.  If you know of something regarding this topic, could you please point me in the right direction.

Thank You

On 3/25/2022 at 4:42 PM, gericb said:

for a while can't seem to find such a document.

there isn't, its about different purposes and special things and they are scattered in howto's, tutorials or in some threads

there are a lot of settings in a bios you could change, if you disable onboard sata or nic ...

most important are C1E disable for older amd based system (often used for hp microserver), using CSM mode in uefi bios for 3615/3617 and DSM 6.1/6.2 (there is no structured information about that for 7.x and all its newer units usable with some rp loaders like 3622 or fs6400), vt-d can make a difference for using intel quick sync hardware transcoding with 918+

if there is any need to change settings from the usual default it should be in the howto - ans as you already can see with that, it depends whats usual and that changes over time, like csm being on as default a few years and now it might be off or even not exist as option anymore

there is no "one fits all" for hardware for nearly two decades used for xpenology and even if you write a documentation it will have to cover so much that it will be kind of big, will be a tree of dependencies and confuse users mostly as they dont know about all these special conditions - not to mention that it needs to be maintained

bottom line - you dont need special settings until you run into problems ;-)

3 hours ago, IG-88 said:

there isn't, its about different purposes and special things and they are scattered in howto's, tutorials or in some threads

there are a lot of settings in a bios you could change, if you disable onboard sata or nic ...

most important are C1E disable for older amd based system (often used for hp microserver), using CSM mode in uefi bios for 3615/3617 and DSM 6.1/6.2 (there is no structured information about that for 7.x and all its newer units usable with some rp loaders like 3622 or fs6400), vt-d can make a difference for using intel quick sync hardware transcoding with 918+

if there is any need to change settings from the usual default it should be in the howto - ans as you already can see with that, it depends whats usual and that changes over time, like csm being on as default a few years and now it might be off or even not exist as option anymore

there is no "one fits all" for hardware for nearly two decades used for xpenology and even if you write a documentation it will have to cover so much that it will be kind of big, will be a tree of dependencies and confuse users mostly as they dont know about all these special conditions - not to mention that it needs to be maintained

bottom line - you dont need special settings until you run into problems ;-)

Thank You!

I was worried about things on Intel based systems, albeit 5-7YO, things like CPU XD, SpeedStep, C States, Limit CPUID, Turbo Boost, Trusted Execution, Virtualization/vt-d.  Sounds like it's fine to leave these turned on, in general.  This is the first time I've seen that vt-d would be synergistic with quick sync transcoding.  Good to know.

I assume Secure Boot Off is the only given.  

It's great that the 3615/3617, rp loaders, can that now be uefi booting for those models, no longer being the legacy bios/csm. 🤓