XPEnology Community

Working DSM 6

oktisme

Hello everyone,

did anyone had a problem installing DSM 6 (NO SS) on ESXi 6 (AMD E-350 board) and not being able to see connected drives?

I have two 3TB drives connected on SATA Ports but in ESXi I cannot select SATA for this drives when mapping to VM.

So now I have created 2 vmdk files for Raw Devices and connected them as SCSI drives, but Synology doesn't see them. Any suggestions what can solve this problem?

(sorry if this is a stupid question, I am new to DSM)

You cannot use RDM with the version from okstime because there is no added drivers (so no VMWare SCSI drivers). Use the build from jun, it's more reliable as it use another patching method. I compiled a version for ESXi here:

viewtopic.php?p=72956#p72956

Hello everyone,

did anyone had a problem installing DSM 6 (NO SS) on ESXi 6 (AMD E-350 board) and not being able to see connected drives?

I have two 3TB drives connected on SATA Ports but in ESXi I cannot select SATA for this drives when mapping to VM.

So now I have created 2 vmdk files for Raw Devices and connected them as SCSI drives, but Synology doesn't see them. Any suggestions what can solve this problem?

(sorry if this is a stupid question, I am new to DSM)

You cannot use RDM with the version from okstime because there is no added drivers (so no VMWare SCSI drivers). Use the build from jun, it's more reliable as it use another patching method. I compiled a version for ESXi here:

viewtopic.php?p=72956#p72956

Hi Koalala, I tried your OVF, however it doesn't detect my harddisks. Controller = IBM M1015, flashed to LSI SAS9211-i in IT mode, version P20. Can you please help regarding the import of the right drivers? I believe this is a driver issue at this point.

Edited by Guest

I have tested this with all XPEnology 5.0-5.2 releases and the 6.x that Jun made on the new loader page. Compiled my own drivers.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Can you point in the right direction on how to compile the driver for the 6.x Jun image? I have tried to use insmod in the CLI but I did not profit.

Thanks

Hi,

I found this forum today, and I have to say I enjoyed reading 54 pages of this thread ... long story short, I have managed to install latest DSM update into Virtualbox. I used all known files and experimented with cca 25 iterations until I managed to find the right one. I will play with RAID volumes next, I hope everything will work.

I extend my thanks to all experts on this forum, I hope you will all continue this great work.

Instructions: http://www.filedropper.com/virtualboxds ... nprocedure

Feel free to update, change, improve etc ...

Kind regards,

Mitja

Edit: Typo

So, the issue I encountered is linked to volume creation ... failed to apply the settings. Tried in Virtualbox with vmdk, vdi, SCSI, SATA and IDE controllers ... no dice.

Any ideas? I read a lot of posts + searched already, so far no avail.

EDIT: tried fresh install with DSM_DS3615xs_7393, additional volumes are created without any issue.

Hi,

I found this forum today, and I have to say I enjoyed reading 54 pages of this thread ... long story short, I have managed to install latest DSM update into Virtualbox. I used all known files and experimented with cca 25 iterations until I managed to find the right one. I will play with RAID volumes next, I hope everything will work.

I extend my thanks to all experts on this forum, I hope you will all continue this great work.

Kind regards,

Mitja

I want to install it on virtualbox. I tried to boot from the Boot.vmdk. but it boots directly to run, can't choose install. It doesn't count down.

Hi,

Kind regards,

Mitja

I want to install it on virtualbox. I tried to boot from the Boot.vmdk. but it boots directly to run, can't choose install. It doesn't count down.

You will need to edit the syslinux.cfg file in the VMDK to default to Install. Read a few pages back where Hostilian referenced the file and what to change.

hm followed the instructions. Installation of pat file went fine in install mode, rebooted with original boot.vmdk in run mode but its stuck here.

73mxDyI.png

There is nothing more to see. It is not stuck. Just go to find.synology.com and configure via browser on another machine.

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to write to let you know that the UEFI img for bare metal works flawlessly for me (tested on Dell Optiplex 7010). All I had to modify in the grub config was the number of sata ports (as mentioned 1-2 pages back). I set up a basic JBOD RAID and created a BTRFS volume. The BTRFS volume mounts after every reboot as well (to my surprise). I updated to the latest release (DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 1) without any issue whatsoever. What shocked me even more is that QuickConnect works perfectly. I set a SN, MAC, and flashed my ethernet card with the new MAC address as you would on any other XPE build and I was shocked to see everything register perfectly. Confirmed QuickConnect functionality by using iOS apps as well.

I am thrilled with the community development of this! Well worth the wait. Thank you all!

I'm going to build out a couple more tests before I upgrade my XPE 5.2 machine to 6 but it's looking great so far. I want to make sure there aren't any strange issues when going from 5.2 to 6.

hm followed the instructions. Installation of pat file went fine in install mode, rebooted with original boot.vmdk in run mode but its stuck here.

73mxDyI.png

There is nothing more to see. It is not stuck. Just go to find.synology.com and configure via browser on another machine.

It cant find it, also when i scan my network for devices it doesnt show Up.

I installed it today on an HP DL380 G7 using esxi 6.0 u2.

I used the vmdk and template provided earlier in this thread and 6.02 downloaded from synology.

The only thing I had to add was an additional HDD for the data volume (SATA).

I haven't tested too much but the volume survives a reboot at least. Impressed so far especially the

Let's Encrypt integration.

I installed it today on an HP DL380 G7 using esxi 6.0 u2.

I used the vmdk and template provided earlier in this thread and 6.02 downloaded from synology.

The only thing I had to add was an additional HDD for the data volume (SATA).

I haven't tested too much but the volume survives a reboot at least. Impressed so far especially the

Let's Encrypt integration.

Did you change the SN and MAC address ?

If yes, can you explain me how to edit the vmdk ? I tried to boot a linux live cd in ESXI and mount the vmdk but I couldn't find the file to edit…

Thank you !

Did you change the SN and MAC address ?

If yes, can you explain me how to edit the vmdk ? I tried to boot a linux live cd in ESXI and mount the vmdk but I couldn't find the file to edit…

Thank you !

I didn't but then I have no interest in using any official Synology resources that rely upon this.

Have you tried any of the methods to mount .vmdk in Windows?

73mxDyI.png

It cant find it, also when i scan my network for devices it doesnt show Up.

I rebooted with original boot.vmdk too and I stucked in the same way.

It does not boot properly.