XPEnology Community

Working DSM 6

oktisme

or we dump synology put all our heads together and come up with our own open source nas which will be better than theirs.... #epicpoll

You already have plenty of free NAS software to choose from :wink:

The only thing I really love about Synology/Xpenology is the ability to scale the volume when necessary (even though this is still somewhat buggy). Home directories, the web UI and LUN-support are all really great features. The only thing that's coming close is unRAID, but it lacks features like home directories and LUNs.

or we dump synology put all our heads together and come up with our own open source nas which will be better than theirs.... #epicpoll

The only thing I really love about Synology/Xpenology is the ability to scale the volume when necessary (even though this is still somewhat buggy). Home directories, the web UI and LUN-support are all really great features.

Not to mention, Btrfs.

The only thing I really love about Synology/Xpenology is the ability to scale the volume when necessary (even though this is still somewhat buggy). Home directories, the web UI and LUN-support are all really great features.

Not to mention, Btrfs.

What's the point of this discoussion then? Use Synology (xpenology) then. It looks like that funding needs to be provided to make Synology like software, so you will never see free software that is so feature full.

Not to mention, Btrfs.

What's the point of this discoussion then? Use Synology (xpenology) then. It looks like that funding needs to be provided to make Synology like software, so you will never see free software that is so feature full.

Not sure what your beef here is, really. Nor do I fully grasp why my mentioning that I think Btrfs is one of the better features in DSM 6 evokes your question about why we're having this discussion. This thread is about a 'Working DSM 6'. If you want funding for an entirely new Synology-like OS, be my guest (although I think it's a somewhat unrealistic pipe-dream), but I really just rather have exactly that: a working DSM 6, with Btrfs.

Hello every1

I am new here :smile: .. wonderful that some people can use version 6. I was wondering isn't Synology doing illegal here about the way the should do. I mean they are part of open source

License: GNU Library or Lesser General Public License version 2.0 (LGPLv2), GNU General Public License version 2.0 (GPLv2)

Now this almost a year and they did not release the source but with version 5 they did very quick.

Can some1 explain me this .. sorry for my bad english

Hello every1

I am new here :smile: .. wonderful that some people can use version 6. I was wondering isn't Synology doing illegal here about the way the should do. I mean they are part of open source

License: GNU Library or Lesser General Public License version 2.0 (LGPLv2), GNU General Public License version 2.0 (GPLv2)

Now this almost a year and they did not release the source but with version 5 they did very quick.

Use topic search. It was discussed here several times.

Отправлено с моего Nexus 6P через Tapatalk

Hello every1

Use topic search. It was discussed here several times.

Отправлено с моего Nexus 6P через Tapatalk

Good evening. Sorry for my English.

I updated to DSM6.0.1 two my bare metal servers (in my signature).

On Intel D2700MUD - DSM6.0.1 installed and is operating normally with 01.09.16 year. Launched seven packages, including MariyaDB. Everything works fine, not works only Push-notifications (worked on DSM5.2).

On Asus P8z68vlx and Intel Core i3 with integreted lan card Realtek 8111E - DSM6.0.1 also installed normal (set several packages, as well as MariyaDB and web-station for one site). Three days worked fine, but now lost access to the web-interface server, and lost access via WinSCP and SSH Putty. But in this case, the server is seen in Synology Assistant (but may not be connected). What could this be and how to fix it?

Thankyou.

Good evening. Sorry for my English.

I updated to DSM6.0.1 two my bare metal servers (in my signature).

On Intel D2700MUD - DSM6.0.1 installed and is operating normally with 01.09.16 year. Launched seven packages, including MariyaDB. Everything works fine, not works only Push-notifications (worked on DSM5.2).

On Asus P8z68vlx and Intel Core i3 with integreted lan card Realtek 8111E - DSM6.0.1 also installed normal (set several packages, as well as MariyaDB and web-station for one site). Three days worked fine, but now lost access to the web-interface server, and lost access via WinSCP and SSH Putty. But in this case, the server is seen in Synology Assistant (but may not be connected). What could this be and how to fix it?

Thankyou.

Downgrade to 5.2.

Downgrade to 5.2.

Why?

If the installing DSM6 and create a partition occurs normally, and everything worked well for several days.

Easy, because DSM6 currently NOT stable. "everything worked well for several days" doesn't mean it's completely stable.

"Everything worked well for several days" is just anecdotal (just as saying it's unstable, based solely on that, btw). My DSM 6.0.1-7393 has been running for over 2 months now, and never had any issue with it. Yes, that is also anecdotal. Point being: it's probably not as unstable as you make it sound. There have been several Updates since, so, obviously, they fixed several things. But so far so good for me. And I, for one, will not downgrade to 5.2, ever, because I'd be missing out on Btrfs again.

So, here's to hoping Synology will release the latest source code soon!

But so far so good for me. And I, for one, will not downgrade to 5.2, ever, because I'd be missing out on Btrfs again.

And you could format the partition in Btrfs on bare metal servers?

Reading several times this thread, I've tried both their servers format the partition in the RAID5-Btrfs, but it did not work, only to ext4.

But so far so good for me. And I, for one, will not downgrade to 5.2, ever, because I'd be missing out on Btrfs again.

And you could format the partition in Btrfs on bare metal servers?

Reading several times this thread, I've tried both their servers format the partition in the RAID5-Btrfs, but it did not work, only to ext4.

Not bare-metal, no, but via ESXi 6.0 u2. Sorry if I gave the impression I was running on bare-metal too.

My disk controller is set 'pass-thru', though (cheap, but reliable, ASM 1026 chipset), so DMS 6 accesses it directly. I can't fathom why it shouldn't work for you if you stuck in a similar ASM 1026 controller (ca. $30).

But yes, without Btrfs DSM 6 offers nothing spectacularly new to me, either.

Not bare-metal, no, but via ESXi 6.0 u2. Sorry if I gave the impression I was running on bare-metal too.

My disk controller is set 'pass-thru', though (cheap, but reliable, ASM 1026 chipset), so DMS 6 accesses it directly. I can't fathom why it shouldn't work for you if you stuck in a similar ASM 1026 controller (ca. $30).

But yes, without Btrfs DSM 6 offers nothing spectacularly new to me, either.

Same for me : ESXI 6.0 u2, pass-thru of the sata controller of intel DQ67EP board directly to DSM6. I have created a Raid10 with btrfs and it's very stable since 2 weeks except (like everybody) I can not instal the latest DSM update.

DSM6 is stable if installed under ESXI but too restricted on bare-metal

What do you like in btrfs ? I'm just using basic functions of backup that why maybe I haven't yet found any advantage to use btrfs for now..

What do you like in btrfs ? I'm just using basic functions of backup that why maybe I haven't yet found any advantage to use btrfs for now..

Btrfs, unlike any regular raid (like found on DSM up to 5), protects you from bad sectors too. A regular raid setup will just blindly copy bad sectors across the array. Btrfs, otoh, will detect these (thru a form of shadow-copying, but then far more advanced), and will thus keep your data integrity up, even over time. And I really want that, as the alternative is like FreeNAS, with ZFS. And the latter requires me to buy an entirely new machine, with ECC memory (and a lot of it too), new CPU, etc. So, DSM 6 is essentially a dream come thru for me. So, I want to stick with it.

"Everything worked well for several days" is just anecdotal (just as saying it's unstable, based solely on that, btw). My DSM 6.0.1-7393 has been running for over 2 months now, and never had any issue with it...

What??? Really???

Five weeks ago, at page 35, you said you were dying to get a stable version.

Well, is it?! Am dying to get a stable version of this on ESXi 6, with Btrfs. Wish someone would give me a straight ansswer on this.

and at page 42, 3 weeks ago, you said you finally got it installed

Finally got around to installing DSM 6.0.1-7393 on ESXi 6.0 (via the posted DSM6_esxi_hw10.ova here). Works like a charm. :smile: It won't let me upgrade to 6.0.2-8451, though. Is there a way around that?

Thanks.

So, where did you pull your "DSM 6.0.1-7393 has been running for over 2 months now" out huh? :shock:

Liar!!! :lol:

"Everything worked well for several days" is just anecdotal (just as saying it's unstable, based solely on that, btw). My DSM 6.0.1-7393 has been running for over 2 months now, and never had any issue with it...

What??? Really???

Five weeks ago, at page 35, you said you were dying to get a stable version.

Well, is it?! Am dying to get a stable version of this on ESXi 6, with Btrfs. Wish someone would give me a straight ansswer on this.

and at page 42, 3 weeks ago, you said you finally got it installed

Finally got around to installing DSM 6.0.1-7393 on ESXi 6.0 (via the posted DSM6_esxi_hw10.ova here). Works like a charm. :smile: It won't let me upgrade to 6.0.2-8451, though. Is there a way around that?

Thanks.

So, where did you pull your "DSM 6.0.1-7393 has been running for over 2 months now" out huh? :shock:

Liar!!! :lol:

My, dude, you're stretching. Did I step on some sore toes per chance?! LOL.

DSM 6 simply runs stable for me, in that it doesn't crash. Period. Obviously many fixes have been made, later on, to improve Btrfs (less CPU usage), and fixes for the new Hyper Backup (which I haven't used yet) for instance. But, otherwise, it really runs like a charm! Can't tell you exactly how long it's been running now, as I had some (unrelated) Blue Screens in ESXi, requiring an intermediate reset or two, but it's been running DSM 6.0.1-7393 stable thru-out the entire time, which was my point.

Hi all,

Stumbled across this project - and thread - whilst looking for a Freenas plugin (of all things).

I have a Synology 216j (long term is to use this as a backup NAS) and I'm considering a new Synology NAS (916+ or 1516+/1517+ when they come out). However, I have a mini server that I've been 'testing' with Freenas. If I could get DSM6 to work on it, that would be amazing (medium term goal)..

Anyway, thanks to oktisme for the initial DSM6 image - and everyone that has contributed so far (a big help).

Few queries, if you don't mind! Apologies if I've missed the fixes in this thread. :smile:

In the interim, I'd like to test it in VMWare Workstation. I've managed to get the downloadable (on this thread) VMWare image working. I've added extra drives and even got BTFRS working.. All good there.

Problem is getting it to work when installed from 7393 ISO.

I've got a VM with 2 disks (Sata) and mounted the ISO - then installed (using the 7393 PAT file).

On reboot, I changed the boot sequence to have the ISO first, then selected RUN.

It went to Booting the kernel so I went as normal to scan the subnet. This time it wasn't on the network.

After a bit of fiddling, I noticed that the VMX file for the VM had e1000 against the network card. I changed this to "e1000e" and rebooted. Now I could get an IP address and connect to DSM..

Unfortunately it said that I had migrated a new disk and if I wanted to migrate or clean the disk. No amount of messing around in here seems to make a difference.. I have tried clean migrate using the earlier 7393 PAT file - it just goes back to the Migrate screen (after a reboot).

Any thoughts?

hello. sorry for my english. can i install dsm 6 on esxi without pass-thru and use btrfs? thanx

I did, on ESXi 6.0 U2, with 3 individual drives presented to DSM in Vmware and configured them as Raid5. It was not playing nicely until I updated to 6.0 U2, so make sure you start with that as a baseline as 6.0 base gave me the stink-eye. Write speeds are less than impressive from a host on the network, though read speeds are good.

The storage is all Iscsi from an ESX host to a NetGear Readynas Pro6. Read speeds copying from the DSM6 Virtual NAS are 75-80mb/sec, but write speeds drop down to 5-10mb after an initial burst of 75-80mb/sec. All other VMs see 75-80mb/sec in both directions to physical machines on the network and are all Iscsi as well, so I am trying to sort out what's what.

Everything works as far as packages, though I have not tried the DSM update to 6.2 yet. That said, Video Station is being cranky about the web client and I need to figure out why. It will play lower res movies with a smaller data footprint, i.e. under 1GB, but anything larger just renders the constant spinning circle of nothingness as it tries to load the movie from the Web Client. The DS Video App for Windows 10 has better luck and I have yet to try it from DS Video on a Roku. Nothing in ESX is showing any kind of spike or saturation of resources and it currently has 4 Cores of a Xeon 2.66ghz and 8GB of RAM allocated to it. Both NICs are E1000E and I installed Open VM Tools. I didn't try Video Station or performing file copies in both directions before installing the VM tools, so I can't say if they made a negative difference or not.