XPEnology Community

Working DSM 6

oktisme

I edited and removed the sound card, no use for it in hp gen8 :smile:

Settings got saved this time; why did you made a 100 Gb hdd ?!? 16 or 20 Gb are more than enough for install...

Not a big issue, but I wanted to use my ssd drive as datastore, and I only have like 30 Gb free on it.

Thanks again, finally working on esxi :smile:

dsm6_1.jpg

Edit: What version did you converted ? From 12 to 10 or from 11 to 10 ? I want to try and make one myself, with a smaller install hdd.

Edit2: I did it, from version 11 to v10, with a 16 Gb drive; it works, I tried this conversion yesterday and it didn't work, because the boot disk was SCSI not IDE I guess.

Here is an ovf with only 16 Gb drive, no sound card, 2 Gb ram and 2x2 cpu.

https://mega.nz/#!J4YV3ZxY!AGg7p4c_cgM5NRjWhvjHAhajoW9cLWSchZ806WA0PRw

As posted above, after import enter vm settings and check the drives, IDE and non-persistent for boot and SATA persistent for the first drive; you can add a new drive (only SATA) now or later, after the config. Use webui to modify the vm settings and add drives, vsphere can't add SATA.

Big thanks to oktisme and haydibe

Hi m8,

i'm trying your VM.

I just changed CPU cores from 4 to 1 because I don't have so many cores available.

I just start the VM after deploying OVF and let it run, but it hangs on "booting the kernel".

any hint?

It's not hung.

That's just as far as the console goes.

Open a browser to find.synology.com or use Synology Assistant and you should be able to discover it on your network.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

It's not hung.

Open a browser to find.synology.com or use Synology Assistant and you should be able to discover it on your network.

oh really?

because with DSM 5.x I see all post messages till the login screen :roll:

It's not hung.

oh really?

because with DSM 5.x I see all post messages till the login screen :roll:

Yeah, that's right.

This bootloader is a little different.

:smile:

Yeah, that's right.

This bootloader is a little different.

:smile:

thanks, working right now :grin:

is there any chance I can migrate packages configuration (Plex, Cloud Sync, etc) from my old DSM v5 VM?

I will attach disk data (I have 2 RDMs Disk in Raid 1 actually) to the new one DSM.

is it safe to update to latest DSM 6 version (6.0.1 7393 update2)?

is it possible to use the 16GB disk also for packages installation? the system say there is no volume and if I add that disk to a new raid (basic) and volume it will format it, will I lose operating system in this way?

thanks for support

is it safe to update to latest DSM 6 version (6.0.1 7393 update2)?

yes, it is.

is it possible to use the 16GB disk also for packages installation? the system say there is no volume and if I add that disk to a new raid (basic) and volume it will format it, will I lose operating system in this way?

yes, you need to create a volume on the 16gb drive if you want to use it for package installation.

No, you won't lose the DSM installation on the disk. The operating system is in a different partition than the data volume (will be).

ok first problems.

I've added to the new DSM 6 VM my 2 RDM disks which were previously connected to the DSM 5 VM (they were in error state because of system partition failed but all data still there)

when attached to the new DSM 6 VM and booted, the system disk of DSM 6 VM went into error state (system partition failed even if system is working and volume status is normal) and RDM disks were not recognized and did not showed up on DSM.

Someone can help?

You are using the ovf package with the run option, aren't you?

It's been a while now, since i used RDM disks, but did you "attach" them to a logical sata controller?

Not sure if it works, if your drives are assigned to a scsi or ide controller.

You are using the ovf package with the run option, aren't you?

It's been a while now, since i used RDM disks, but did you "attach" them to a logical sata controller?

Not sure if it works, if your drives are assigned to a scsi or ide controller.

You are right. It seems it doesn't support scsi yet. But I cannot find how to add it to sata controller. The only way seems using vmware workstationbut it fails saying I have to use a physical disk even if I don't find this option in the wizard.

Inviato dal mio SM-G920F utilizzando Tapatalk

In order to add sata controller and drives you need either vCenter or the embedded VMware Host Client (ESXi 6.0u2 or later)

I'm on esxi 6.0u2 but the hostui Web gui doesn't allow me to add RDM disks because it's saying that the size is bigger than the datastore (normal, vm are on a 300gb disk while RDM disks are 4TB each, but should be a bug since the pointer file is not really that size).

How did you solve this?

To be honest: I still use XPE with a passthrough LSI-Controller with attach 4x6TB drives. I use a second VM with DSM6 having a 100gb vmdk drive mainly for Docker. I mount fileshares from XPE into DSM6 and use them as data volumes for my Docker-Containers.

You can't add drives using RDM from web ui, a bug probably (not working for dsm 5 either).

I spotted the bug to the hostui developers.

With DSM 5 I used the vShpere Client to add RDM drives because they are under SCSI controller which is supported. On DSM 6 SCSI module is not loaded on kernel thus it's not working.

Using VMware Workstation connected to the ESXI node I can add them under the SATA controller but it's throwing me an error at the end of the wizard. I'll try editing the vmx file manually and let's see if it works.

Hi all

I have read all reletaed comments but im not 100 sure.

Please let me know is there solution to run this on PHP/virtualbox ? I have already tried but after install i cant find DSm with synology and with find.synology.com.

What i have to do that this run as baremetal on Gen8 ?

What i have to do to run this on Vmware?

thank you very much.

BR

Michael

In order to add sata controller and drives you need either vCenter or the embedded VMware Host Client (ESXi 6.0u2 or later)

I'm on esxi 6.0u2 but the hostui Web gui doesn't allow me to add RDM disks because it's saying that the size is bigger than the datastore (normal, vm are on a 300gb disk while RDM disks are 4TB each, but should be a bug since the pointer file is not really that size).

How did you solve this?

I had the same problem. My conclusion was you have only one opportunity to change or add a new disk after the vm conversion. After that I always had this same error when I changed anything. I think it´s a WebSphere client bug.

For those of us who don't feel like 30 pages, can someone summarize where we are with DSM 6? Bare metal specifically?

If e1000e driver supports your NIC, then you can run bare metal. Otherwise only through virtualization.

For those of us who don't feel like 30 pages, can someone summarize where we are with DSM 6? Bare metal specifically?

If e1000e driver supports your NIC, then you can run bare metal. Otherwise only through virtualization.

baremetal is working for me with supermicro x9srl-f mainboard, additional 10G QLogic NIC & additional 10G D-Link DXE-820T and LSI MPT2SAS/MPT3SAS HBA

ext4 fs volumes fine, about brtfs you need to read trough this 30 pages

Thanks.

If so, where can I get the final/working and reliable file to install?

Hi all

I have read all reletaed comments but im not 100 sure.

Please let me know is there solution to run this on PHP/virtualbox ? I have already tried but after install i cant find DSm with synology and with find.synology.com.

What i have to do that this run as baremetal on Gen8 ?

What i have to do to run this on Vmware?

thank you very much.

BR

Michael

I am running the latest version of DSM 6.0 on VirtualBox, my VirtualBox is installed on ASUSTOR NAS AS5102T,

- Download ISO and PAT files posted in the beginning of this post

- Install VirtualBox on any platform (ie. Windows, Linux, NAS or PC)

- Create a VM using Linux 2.6 3x 64bit

- Sata controller with CD drive (Primary) Hard drive (Secondary)

- Choose hard drive type VDI with EXT4 format (VMDK won't work)

- Mount ISO image you've downloaded earlier

- Always boot your VM in INSTALL mode, RUN won't work

- Then follow rest of the instructions mentioned earlier in this port