XPEnology Community

Working DSM 6

oktisme

Syno removed the shr feature from the model we are trying to emulate (DS3615XS), but as hotshots mentioned, a simple edit to the synoinfo.conf puts the feature back.

While I was in there, I also edited mine to reflect maximum of 8 disks, as that's as many sata ports I have on my IT mode flashed Dell h310. Purely for cosmetic reasons on the storage overview page.

One thing I noticed is 8415 upgrade 4 breaks webui in safari, but I can get in fine with firefox, so not a show stopper.

Think it was Maxdrives=[12] or similar. I reduced mine to 8, to reflect the number of ports on my card. However it is only a cosmetic change for the overview panel in the storage manager. Not sure if the software limit is 12 or not. You'd have to add a 13th to find out.

Here is how you can edit grub after dsm6 install (if using esxi make sure the boot drive is NOT non-persistent for this to work):

SSH into dsm and type

echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/syno_install_flag

mount /dev/synoboot1 /mnt

/mnt/grub/grub.cfg

umount /mnt

or for using winscp to edit the file with notepad++ (vi editor is not that hard, but...):

1. Login using putty or any other ssh client with administrator account (usually "admin")

2. You will be asked for a password. Enter the one for the administrator account

3. You will get a command prompt

4. Enter: sudo su -

5. You will be asked for a password. Enter again the one for the administrator account

6. You will get a command prompt root@...

7. Enter command: synouser --setpw root your_new_root_password

For "your_new_root_password" please use the desired password for root account.

Nou you can SSH into dsm and type

echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/syno_install_flag

mount /dev/synoboot1 /mnt

start winscp and connect to your dsm (user root and the password you set before) an go to /mnt/grub/ and edit grub.cfg Save and close editor when finished.

Get back to the ssh sesion and do

umount /mnt

It is easier to edit the cfg before install, in win10 just write on the usb stick (after writing it using winimage or rufus); for older windows you have to mount the image and edit the cfg before writing to usb stick. You can try to create a new usb and switch the one you have working on the current install to avoid using ssh, if it's not working just plug the old one in again.

For esxi users: use osfmount or vmware workstation to mount the vmdk boot image and edit the cfg.

• Like 1

Thanks to koroziv!!it Works changing grub that way. But I have some doubts... I'm running esxi 6.0U2 in my HP Proliant microserver Gen8 and I've a hardware raid controller PCIe card with 3 x 4Tb disks (RAID 5). When I'm adding disk to the dsm6, I don't know how to do the best, right now I'm presenting disks 3x1Tb in JBOD,btrfs in order to increase when neccesary adding another one 1Tb... I've tested to créate only one volume with 3Tb and increase space later in the VM, but it doesn't work dinamically or I'm not doing right....any other idea to do this better way?? thanks

ty! and this is needed in order to change the serial / mac in a file?

If you want to change mac/sn you have to edit the grub.cfg

Thanks to koroziv!!it Works changing grub that way. But I have some doubts... I'm running esxi 6.0U2 in my HP Proliant microserver Gen8 and I've a hardware raid controller PCIe card with 3 x 4Tb disks (RAID 5). When I'm adding disk to the dsm6, I don't know how to do the best, right now I'm presenting disks 3x1Tb in JBOD,btrfs in order to increase when neccesary adding another one 1Tb... I've tested to create only one volume with 3Tb and increase space later in the VM, but it doesn't work dinamically or I'm not doing right....any other idea to do this better way?? thanks

I can't share any advice on something I never tried, sorry.

I never used another controller on my hp, don't have one; my esxi days are done for now, running xpeno bare-metal. Maybe in the future I'll get back on esxi again, it's a waste of resources to run only xpeno on a xeon cpu and 16gb ram...

I used basic for my drives, each drive - one volume with its own shared folders. The xpeno vm only had a 16 gb partition on the datastore (ssd), the storage drives (4) - RDM to xpeno vm

Not saying it's the best way to do it, but this was my setup. I could remove the drives at any time and use them on my pc for example (ntfs) without losing any data. Or I could add them to another vm (RDM) for storage. That was the best thing about esxi, I coul test new xpeno and other OS's and bring the storage to them without issues when needed.

DSM is running smooth and stable for a couple of weeks now, but pyload won't work.

I re-actived the pyload user

I gave the pyload user write-access to the pyload folder

I deinstalled and re-installed the pyload community package

I tried to start the pyLoadCore.py from console and run into trouples.

First I had to re-enable the root account.

Then I had to set up IPKG to install pycurl.

When I give the command: sudo python /volume1/@appstore/pyload/pyload/pyLoadCore.py

I get the error message:

ImportError: /volume1/@appstore/pyload/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pycurl.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32

Any hints on that one?

Hi team,

Please help.

I have the VM working and it is great.

Unfortunately that model used in the VM is DS3615xs

Which unfortunately does not support Synology Hybrid RAID Option

I currently have a 8bay NAS DS1813+ full of drives (7x 4TB) SHR Volume with 2 disk fault tollerance.

My intention is to move to a computer and I want to build a vmware box that contains all my SATA drives. Therefore i could expand beyond the 8 limit.

I am hoping the "Virtual DS3615xs" will just recognise my SHR volume. I have been on to Synology support and asked them if even though a new SHR volume cannot be created on this model "DS3615xs", will it be able to recognise an existing one from another NAS if i migrate the drives across. Nobody could give me a straight answer on this.

My question is... 1 will the above work (will DS3615xs recognise an existing SHR volume) ? If not - Can i create a VM of a different model of NAS that does support SHR?

If i need to go with the latr.. .what is the steps involved in getting it working? ie how did you create the VM.. Or can i just modify yours easily?

Thanks Guys,

DSM is running smooth and stable for a couple of weeks now, but pyload won't work.

I re-actived the pyload user

I gave the pyload user write-access to the pyload folder

I deinstalled and re-installed the pyload community package

I tried to start the pyLoadCore.py from console and run into trouples.

First I had to re-enable the root account.

Then I had to set up IPKG to install pycurl.

When I give the command: sudo python /volume1/@appstore/pyload/pyload/pyLoadCore.py

I get the error message:

ImportError: /volume1/@appstore/pyload/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pycurl.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32

Any hints on that one?

Seems like somewhere in the chain a 64bit library is expected, but a 32bit version used. Make sure your pythong 2.7 installation is a 64bit installation.

Or switch to a docker image rootlogin/pyload and avoid messing with your dsm installation...

If you aren't already using syncoComminites pyLoad v0.4.9-2 beta version, you might want to give it a try instead.

Dutchman How does one do that?

[Change the config file so the device will support an SHR volume]

So im told by synology that the device natively will be able to recognise a SHR volume and load it, but cannot be expanded on.

How do i get around this? Will your recommendation to change the config file rectify this?

Dutchman How does one do that?

[Change the config file so the device will support an SHR volume]

So im told by synology that the device natively will be able to recognise a SHR volume and load it, but cannot be expanded on.

How do i get around this? Will your recommendation to change the config file rectify this?

Here we go:

I will try again once 2.3 is release, but at this time SHR is not available.

(had to manually enter USB PID/VID as I got the / error)

I am using bare metal install, on Levono TS140 server (24GB ECC and Xeon E3-1225v3) 5xHDD

SHR will never work standard as the emulated DS1815+ is not supporting SHR in DSM 6 but there is a workarround !

The loader (2.2 has it already) can activate SHR for you, on other versions you can edit the config file of you Xpenology system to activate SHR (i used that!)

You dont need a DS1815+ for SHR support

just edit /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf
comment out/delete
supportraidgroup="yes"

then add
[b]support_syno_hybrid_raid="yes"[/b]

press F5 on you web browser

Waiting for 2.3 too, my NIC's are not recognized on Bare metal installation this will be an interesting week :grin:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk