XPEnology Community

Working DSM 6

oktisme

EDIT: follow this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22100, it works for me updating from 5.2.5644, use jun's loader v1.1, find.synology.com, migrate, install manually last update from dsm, wait until reboot, find.synology.com again, and voila! update then to update 3 of dsm 6.0.2 directly from dsm no problem.

Does this process work on ESXI 6u2 as well?? Since I use SSD to hold my VMs including DSM 5.2-5967, can I just load the necessary files on datastore SSD?

If you can please provide some instructions, that would be really helpful. I just don't want to loose all my stuff on the SHR volume.

Do you have DSM on separate logical disk for your VMs? I have DSM on an usb stick and data on HDDs, it should works but I don't know because my system is HP microserver gen8 baremetal, try to install a vm with dsm 5 and update it first. The loader download has a boot image for VMs, try it!

On my n54l I cannot boot. I set the time delay to 5 but all I get is a monitor off after the BIOS lines. No choices, no nothing. I think I've done it all, except I cannot find any serial port in the BIOS. Also, I see there is an EFI partition in the USB boot drive. Maybe this machine can only boot from MBR flash USB drives?. Tried three different flash drives, and did a BIOS reset. No way. Black screen. My n54l is running 5.2 with no problems.

On my n54l I cannot boot. I set the time delay to 5 but all I get is a monitor off after the BIOS lines. No choices, no nothing. I think I've done it all, except I cannot find any serial port in the BIOS. Also, I see there is an EFI partition in the USB boot drive. Maybe this machine can only boot from MBR flash USB drives?. Tried three different flash drives, and did a BIOS reset. No way. Black screen. My n54l is running 5.2 with no problems.

are you sure you wrote image correctly?? I had this problem too and I just rewrited the image in the usb drive and it worked!!try it

victortrass wrote: Do you have DSM on separate logical disk for your VMs? I have DSM on an usb stick and data on HDDs, it should works but I don't know because my system is HP microserver gen8 baremetal, try to install a vm with dsm 5 and update it first. The loader download has a boot image for VMs, try it!

So I have my DSM on an SSD which contains my plex ubuntu server as well.

Question: If I install a VM with dsm 5 and update it and use my HDDs to load my data onto DSM, if something was to go wrong with DSM 6 update on that VM, will it mess up my data on HDDs or is it isloated since it doesn't write to HDDs but instead to SSD?

Can you link in the page where the loader has has the image to use for VMs?

Thanks for your help.

Confirmed that HP ML10 v2 is working baremetal. Img from page 10, updated with img from the first post, edited with the proper VID/PID and making changes for no improper shutdown message.

Sent from my Oppo R5s

Hi M3kk,

Thanks for the tip. I have the same server HP ML10V2. That image on page 10 didnt work for me as it was going into the install loop, but another image did worked. How is the fan speed on your server? Normally it should stay at 6%, when I was running HP ESXi 6.0 U2. Mine was at 18% with the original install, but now it has jumped to 29-34% constant. Have you also noticed the time of DSM keeps on resetting at every reboot, and the server Bios time changes to 02/02/2015 as well ?

Any answers, recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks

Confirmed that HP ML10 v2 is working baremetal. Img from page 10, updated with img from the first post, edited with the proper VID/PID and making changes for no improper shutdown message.

Sent from my Oppo R5s

Hi M3kk,

Thanks for the tip. I have the same server HP ML10V2. That image on page 10 didnt work for me as it was going into the install loop, but another image did worked. How is the fan speed on your server? Normally it should stay at 6%, when I was running HP ESXi 6.0 U2. Mine was at 18% with the original install, but now it has jumped to 29-34% constant. Have you also noticed the time of DSM keeps on resetting at every reboot, and the server Bios time changes to 02/02/2015 as well ?

Thanks

Did you try the latest image V1.01 ?

Sent from my Oppo R5s

Hi M3kk,

Thanks

Did you try the latest image V1.01 ?

Hi, Thanks for replying. Yes, I am running latest V1.01 from Jun, for the last 24 hours, and the speed of the fan is hovering around 18% without any load. Which is still way more 3times more than what It was sitting at in HP ESXi 6.0 U2 image at 6% fan speed.

I have noticed the speed even more while running a movie in plex.

Anyone else using any image in ML10V2 and what fan speeds they are getting?

Hi

Running jun's loader v1.1 with DMS 6.0.2-8451 Update 4 everything is working, but the whole system is so so slow.

To get to the gui take 20 seconds same again to login, basically everything you click or access is slow.

System is not doing any diskcheck etc, CPU @ 25% RAM 35%

Running on HP NL45 with 4GB RAM.

any ideas?

Got this successfully installed on my Q1900-ITX baremetal with no problems using Jun's 1.1 bootloader (huge THANKS btw). Data and settings migrated fully.

However, the storage manager says my drives are part of an expansion unit, and I cannot read the SMART information anymore (no problems on 5.2).

I did the force-install as I got the 'disk port disabled' error at first, and it worked just fine.

Should I go back and add the SATAPortMap line?

Hi,

this morning I have an issue with my n54L dsm 6 update 2 ...

I can't acces webinterface and my shared network don't display.

I can do a ping on the server.

If I connect a screen on the server nothing seems to be wired.

The only thing I do is to reboot the Nas (with the reboot option in the web interface).

As it doesn't work, I update de usb flashdrive with jun 1.01 loader (I changed the grub option)

What can I do ?

I didn't try to access server with ssh.

In the grub option, I haven't use the sataportmap option. Do I have to ? (I have 5 disks)

Thanks for your help.

I try your loader.

Still not working.

If I try to find my NAS with synology assistant, it finds it, telling me that services are starting ... (5min)

Now it tells me "ready"

But the interface is still down (IP:5000)

And the shared directory are not mounted

I can acces the NAS with ssh.

a df -h command, tells me that the 5 disks are mounted.

What can I check then ?

I've installed 6 using the "DSM 6.0.2 Loader ( was "A new loader for latest DSM")"

I'm using a Intel S1200KP motherboard, Xeon 1225 Cpu, 16GB ram and 4 sata HDDS connected to the motherboard.

I also have a secondary NIC card using the 82571eb chipset.

Install was very easy, I modded the img file grub config and changed the vid/pid and and added the Mac's for all 4 intel nics.

Then during the first boot I added the append SataPortMap=4

Right after install, I upgraded the the latest DSM "DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 4"

The only issue I'm having is that I can't create a volume without creating a raid set. I've tried AHCI and raid modes on the controller. All the drives are seen fine, just no option to create the volume.

it says "The is no RAID Group in your system, please go to RAID Group tab to create a new RAID group first."

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

later,

dabone

The only issue I'm having is that I can't create a volume without creating a raid set. I've tried AHCI and raid modes on the controller. All the drives are seen fine, just no option to create the volume.

it says "The is no RAID Group in your system, please go to RAID Group tab to create a new RAID group first."

That's how it works in DSM6 I guess. You can create basic "RAID group", if you don't want to use RAID.

I'm trying to use SHR, with one disk redundancy.

It seems some people can use this, while others can't.

I have no option for SHR when creating a raid volume.

I have 0/1/5/6/10/Basic/JBOD options only.

What configs has Hybrid raid worked on?

Later,

dabone