XPEnology Community

Working DSM 6

oktisme

Hello Everyone,

I updated to the latest release (DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 1) without any issue whatsoever. What shocked me even more is that QuickConnect works perfectly. I set a SN, MAC, and flashed my ethernet card with the new MAC address as you would on any other XPE build and I was shocked to see everything register perfectly. Confirmed QuickConnect functionality by using iOS apps as well.

did you use an original SN+MAC or not for quickconnect to work?

i'm using pairs generated by online utilities but can't get it to work

Hello Everyone,

I updated to the latest release (DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 1) without any issue whatsoever. What shocked me even more is that QuickConnect works perfectly. I set a SN, MAC, and flashed my ethernet card with the new MAC address as you would on any other XPE build and I was shocked to see everything register perfectly. Confirmed QuickConnect functionality by using iOS apps as well.

I use a generated one and the iOS app works perfect.

Hello Everyone,

I use a generated one and the iOS app works perfect.

Very strange. I cannot login to synology account inside dam because i get unknown error.

So I got DSM 6 (6.0.1-7393) working (volumes stay mounted).

Here's a VMware VM if anyone wants to try it.

You can use VMware Player to run it.

Just add a new SATA hard drive before booting.

If you want console access, use PuTTY to connect to the named pipe \\.\pipe\com_1 (speed 115200) to connect to the VM's serial port.

This is pretty much it: add a SATA disk, boot and go to http://find.synology.com, configure and you're done.

DSM 6.7z

how do i edit your serial number and mac adresse sys file to change it

I did find out how to Mount the drive and change the serial number and mac adresse but even though i cant get Quick connect to work

i tried both sn= and costum_sn but with no succes

dkrc1JM.jpg

everything is correct but quick connect just dont work

I tried a lot of time to install DSM6 on vmware or virtualbox whithout any good result.

After I installed the .pat the system does not boot. :sad:

Please, can someone write briefly steps to install DSM?

So, the two I have done both like to wipe the USB drive after installing the .pat file. I just redo the thumb drive with the image again and it boots fine.

I tried a lot of time to install DSM6 on vmware or virtualbox whithout any good result.

After I installed the .pat the system does not boot. :sad:

Please, can someone write briefly steps to install DSM?

So, the two I have done both like to wipe the USB drive after installing the .pat file. I just redo the thumb drive with the image again and it boots fine.

Awesome work! I have finally installed from DSM5.x to 6.x Bare metal. It may have taken me 14 hours, insomnia, screaming kids/wife. A huge thanks to every who posted/helped within this forum :smile:

what information?!

the only thing I see are people using here are the vmware images. I have an acer easystore h340 im trying to get 6.0 running on bare metal and pulling my hair out.

For me it is working with version 6.0.2 with the H340 but everytime I want to shut it down the H340 is rebooting. The last version without this bug is version 5.1.

Do you know this issue or have a workaround?

One question. I am not able to read all of this topic. Can someone please, write some summary, what is exactly working, what is not, and where are the latest, best working, proper file to download? :wink:

Maybe this info could be stick to the top of the topic? Sometimes it is hard to understand, what was written in couple of days.

Just an idea of course :wink:

cheers,

orzyl

Was someone able to replace the vmware boot image with jun's version?

When i booted after replacing the boot image, the migration wizzard appared in http://find.synology.com and i was affraid to continue and lose my data.

With Oktisme's bootloader, the boot image uses ide and my data drive sata.

With Jun's bootloader, the boot images uses sata and my data drive scsi.

At the end I made a clean new installation with Jun's bootloader and manually migrated the essential data (basicly dockerfiles and persistant docker data)

If there is a way to simply change the bootloader, i would appreaciate if someone writes a migration "guide" and the ops would close this thread afterwards.

Was someone able to replace the vmware boot image with jun's version?

When i booted after replacing the boot image, the migration wizzard appared in http://find.synology.com and i was affraid to continue and lose my data.

With Oktisme's bootloader, the boot image uses ide and my data drive sata.

With Jun's bootloader, the boot images uses sata and my data drive scsi.

At the end I made a clean new installation with Jun's bootloader and manually migrated the essential data (basicly dockerfiles and persistant docker data)

If there is a way to simply change the bootloader, i would appreaciate if someone writes a migration "guide" and the ops would close this thread afterwards.

You won't lose your data that way. The sata/ide/scsi data drives doesn't matter. Synology doesn't care. As long as there are drivers for your controller in the new loader (sata/ide/scsi) and there are valid OS (pat file) file installed in the drive, migration will work.

Hello! This is my first post. I want to thank Oktisme and others that have contributed. I hope this helps anyone that wants to move away from a VM and onto a stand-a-lone system. I dont seem to be able to upload any photos or ISO file to the board. Maybe you can PM and I can send it through Gmail.

I was able to get DSM6 working on an Intel Nuc (D34010WYK). Here are the steps I followed:

1) Use Oktisme xpen boot disc and start in "install" mode.

2) Use "Synology Assistant" to find the device and open the web gui

3) Clean install using the "DSM_DS3615xs_7393.pat" file (The migration part has never worked for me from any older versions of DSM)

Some modifications I made to get this to work without keyboard needed on the device:

I modified the boot disc so that it always selects "Install" mode. I used an ISO image editor and modified the "ISOLINUX.CFG" file.

If you want to use "btrfs" format for your volume, you will notice it will say "crashed". I created an auto-mount script that gets launched at bootup to fix this issue. Here is the code for the script:

#!/bin/sh

mount /dev/vg1000/lv /volume1

I have not yet upgraded my current server to the newest version of DSM yet because I really dont want to destroy 8TB of data on a RAID5. I have played with the Intel NUC from the first Xpenology release to Oktisme's version and havent seen a degraded or crashed volume yet. That doesnt mean it wont happen though. My operational server is a GIGABYTE GA-B150M-D3H GSM, i5 processor, 8GB of RAM, 4x4TB drives, running 5.2x5644 stable. Anyone installed on a GIGABYTE motherboard yet?

Since I cant upload, I wanted to state the DSM version I am running.

I installed with "DSM_DS3615xs_7393.pat" file which gives you DSM 6.0.1x7393. I then performed update to DSM 6.0.1x7393 Update 2.

I dont seem to be able to move to 6.0.2x8451 versions of DSM and that is probably due to the boot disc.

First of all very good work Oktisme,

I did a baremetal installation on asrock c2550d4i, had to put all controllers back to ahci mode to detect all the drives but I was able to find them all (all 10 i patched the buggy sata controller with stability issues so 2 ports are disabled now). Used image from page 23 (Dynax) with that particular pat file! Dont upgrade you won't be able to create volumes or raid groups (couple of people hit that issue i think its due to the fact they upgraded or used a wrong pat file use 7393.pat).

Only thing I hit but currently working on it, disk number 7 is shown with the free space of the usb boot disk (correct model 3tb only it shows 3.9gb same amount of free space on the boot stick). So something is going wrong there. Also I discovered but specificly with i think c2550d4i that all disks from front till end need to be used. Lets say i skip slot 7 it wont show disk 8,9,10 (nor visible in /dev/sd# not even popping up in messages file so may be hardware related they are however detected by disk controllers).

ext4 works, btrfs crashes on creation of volume but i dont mind.

Need to do some work on the usb and (e)sata mapping files that will prob fix the fact disk 7 is only 3.9gb instead of 3tb. But lots of it on this forum to find out about that, more related to the model then the firmware)

If you want console access, use PuTTY to connect to the named pipe \\.\pipe\com_1 (speed 115200) to connect to the VM's serial port.

This is pretty much it: add a SATA disk, boot and go to http://find.synology.com, configure and you're done.

DSM 6.7z

Since its an extremely large post. Could some one please advise on how to install on esxi 6.0 ?

1. I have downloaded the DSM 6.0

2. Created a new Ubuntu 64 bit and added boot.VMDK (not too sure if this is the right one ?) as SCCI 0:0 , later added a new hard drive (tried almost all of them).

3. I get error , can some one please advise on how to install it ?

WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IF SOME ONE COULD HELP ME !! PLEASE

14llrg3.jpg

2ijiv86.jpg

2r4l74p.jpg

DSM 6.7z

Since its an extremely large post. Could some one please advise on how to install on esxi 6.0 ?

1. I have downloaded the DSM 6.0

2. Created a new Ubuntu 64 bit and added boot.VMDK (not too sure if this is the right one ?) as SCCI 0:0 , later added a new hard drive (tried almost all of them).

3. I get error , can some one please advise on how to install it ?

WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IF SOME ONE COULD HELP ME !! PLEASE

14llrg3.jpg

2ijiv86.jpg

2r4l74p.jpg