XPEnology Community

Working DSM 6

oktisme

To get it working on bare metal, I first tried the install ISO and PAT file manually. No dice.

I already had a VM working in VMWare workstation (downloaded earlier in this thread) and noticed the BOOT.vmdk (I knew this worked fine).

Basically, I took a copy of Boot.vmdk and ran a great little tool called VMDKtoPhys to transfer it to a USB disk.. (simple, huh) :grin:

Plugged the new USB Boot drive into my physical machine with my 2x 3TB drives, disabled the sound card in the BIOS (and sorted the boot order)..

As it's a USB drive, it's easy to edit the Syslinux.cfg file. Add SN and MAC if you want (when plugged into your normal computer).

I booted to the USB drive, selected 'Install' option. Followed the Wizard.

Voila, working..

You need to keep booting in install mode (after you've set up the disks). I've set this to the default option now.

Downloading the Update-1 and Update-2 files for 7393 manually and installing manually worked fine.

Only thing that doesn't work is BTRFS (that I've tested so far) and I can't update to 8451.

Oh and it's SERIOUSLY fast - compared to my little Synology 216j NAS.. :smile:

#H

I must be missing something simple, but mine won't play nicely on hardware. I tried multiple versions of the boot.vmdk from the files within this thread, as well as trying the ISO method which refuses to use the .pat file from Synology. Using VMDK2Phys created the thumb drive, but the box just likes to keep rebooting. I am sure I will be told that something of value has been mentioned unlimited times about this, but so be it..

Has anyone gotten ESXi pass through to work with a LSI 9211-8i ? I have tried firmwares p07 p12 p20 and have no success. It works in FreeNAS so I am now stumped. Is there a specific firmware that i need?

Have not. Added an ISCSI Lun on a NAS via RDM but DSM doesn't want to see it properly, yet.... I have seen other articles on various sites about Passthrough when your Card is in IT mode. Might give it a look....

Has anyone gotten ESXi pass through to work with a LSI 9211-8i ? I have tried firmwares p07 p12 p20 and have no success. It works in FreeNAS so I am now stumped. Is there a specific firmware that i need?

I have a LSI SAS 9201-16i and it works like a charm on the latest firmware. Don't see the reason why yours shouldn't... any error messages?

I must be missing something simple, but mine won't play nicely on hardware. I tried multiple versions of the boot.vmdk from the files within this thread, as well as trying the ISO method which refuses to use the .pat file from Synology. Using VMDK2Phys created the thumb drive, but the box just likes to keep rebooting. I am sure I will be told that something of value has been mentioned unlimited times about this, but so be it..

I have used the Boot.vmdk file in the VM linked earlier in this thread. DSM 6.7z (and the one without Snapshots - No SS) work fine. All you need is Boot.vmdk and run VMDKtoPhys to convert it.

ALWAYS run the USB boot drive in 'Install mode' (not Run), you know the Linux menu on your server, the one you get when booting to the USB drive - NOT the synology menu, where you apply the PAT file in your browser.

When the USB drive has been first created, edit the syslinux.cfg file (it's just a text file in the syslinux folder on the USB drive) and change the timeout to 100 or more (to give you time to change it from the default, which is 'Run'). I'd say that if you don't have an Intel (or known compatible) NIC, disable it in the BIOS..

If you select 'Run' mode, it will likely keep rebooting! So don't..

Here's my syslinux.cfg file. It defaults to Install mode. If you replace yours, make sure you put in valid SN and MAC addresses..

UI menu.c32
PROMPT 0
TIMEOUT 100
DEFAULT Install
MENU TITLE Synology

LABEL Install
      MENU LABEL Install
      KERNEL ../XPEnoboot
      APPEND root=/dev/md0 ihd_num=0 netif_num=4 syno_hw_version=DS3615xs sn=SNHere mac1=mac1Here mac2=mac2Here mac3=mac3Here mac4=mac4Here mac4=0011430c30c0 vid=0x0EA0 pid=0x2168 console=ttyS0,115200 upgrade=6.0.1-7393

LABEL Run
      MENU LABEL Run
      KERNEL ../zImage
   INITRD ../rd.gz
      APPEND root=/dev/md0 ihd_num=0 syno_hw_version=DS3615xs custom_sn=SNHere mac1=mac1Here mac2=mac2Here mac3=mac3Here mac4=mac4Here console=ttyS0,115200

The first time you boot, it should ask you to Install the PAT image and set up your system. There is a link to an update 7393 pat file earlier in this thread. Not sure if that has been tweaked from the one from Synology? I used the one linked in the thread, not the one from Synology.

Good luck!

#H

@Hostilian: could you make an image of the working usb in bare metal and share with us?

The only difference from the Boot.vmdk in the 'DSM 6.7z' Image (linked earlier in this thread) is the syslinux.cfg file (posted in above thread).

Don't confuse the boot mode 'Install' (on the USB key at your server's console) with the 'Install' option on the synology NAS (when you connect via a web browser and apply the PAT file).

Oh and I'm testing this with DSM 6 (as per this thread) not Xpenology 5.x.

#H

I have a LSI SAS 9201-16i and it works like a charm on the latest firmware. Don't see the reason why yours shouldn't... any error messages?

Thanks for the reply. Which IT firmware are you using for your LSI? Also which images did you use for DSM? I tried the ones from page 7 posted by haydibe and koroziv. Is there anything special I have to do with DSM for it to detect the card?

Thanks again.

your controller should be a rebranded LSI9211-8i, which should be supprted by the included mpt2sas.ko driver.

Something is strange with the driver. It exists in /lib/modules and can be loades from the cli 'insmod /lib/modules/mpt2sas.ko'. After insmod, mpt2sas is listed in lsmod. But i couldn't load it using modprobe...

Though, i never tried to actualy use my lsi contollers in pass thru mode with DSM6. My main storages are still using XPE and I mounted shares from it to my DSM6 vm. Since i am using DSM6 only for it's docker capabilites, it's workng fine for me :smile:

At this point, I'm willing to give a Bitcoin tip/donation for some help.

I have been flashing my dell h200 to various LSI 92118IT firmware (p07,p12,p16,p19,p20) and still cannot get it detected in DSM via PassThrough.

When I test passthrough on FreeNAS, it detects it no problem and everything works. I am using a dell r710 with ESXi 6. I have also tried to flash the firmware with and without the bios.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can try? Any CLI commands I can run to troubleshoot? Driver loading?

Thanks in advance

HI,

can you confirm that everything is running properly? Which PAT file you use for manual upgrade..or automatic upgrade to latest DSM?

I used this pat file DSM_DS3615xs_7393

I wont recommend updating mine did crash twice now if i want to edit my lan1 it crashes after reinstalling the PAT file it works ok

your controller should be a rebranded LSI9211-8i, which should be supprted by the included mpt2sas.ko driver.

Something is strange with the driver. It exists in /lib/modules and can be loades from the cli 'insmod /lib/modules/mpt2sas.ko'. After insmod, mpt2sas is listed in lsmod. But i couldn't load it using modprobe...

Though, i never tried to actualy use my lsi contollers in pass thru mode with DSM6. My main storages are still using XPE and I mounted shares from it to my DSM6 vm. Since i am using DSM6 only for it's docker capabilites, it's workng fine for me :smile:

At this point, I'm willing to give a Bitcoin tip/donation for some help.

I have been flashing my dell h200 to various LSI 92118IT firmware (p07,p12,p16,p19,p20) and still cannot get it detected in DSM via PassThrough.

When I test passthrough on FreeNAS, it detects it no problem and everything works. I am using a dell r710 with ESXi 6. I have also tried to flash the firmware with and without the bios.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can try? Any CLI commands I can run to troubleshoot? Driver loading?

Thanks in advance

Hi. I tried a cross-flashed H310, if you look back at p42 I did not succeed. My conclusion was that 3rd party drivers are required to run them. I gave up on DSM 6 at that point. If you manage to find a solution, please let us know, I would be very interested.

Hi. I tried a cross-flashed H310, if you look back at p42 I did not succeed. My conclusion was that 3rd party drivers are required to run them. I gave up on DSM 6 at that point. If you manage to find a solution, please let us know, I would be very interested.

Looks like "NeoID" has it working on p51. I'm working with FreeNAS 10 right now, but it sucks learning something new after dealing with DSM daily for 2+ years.

please for dummys

how i can update my standalone DSM5.2 to DSM6

please with link to files and a dummy tutorial

Just don't. Its too impulsive upgrading a stable OS to one that is beta at best, atleast on bare metal, ESXI is an entirely different story. I wouldn't set yourself for failure unless you have no concerns losing your data or just have a lab environment or something. Its the equivalent IMO of saying "how do I migrate Windows Server 2012R2 to Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 5"

Just give it some time and eventually "they" will take an afternoon to get it working out the box like XPEnoboot 5967.1. but for now its just a waiting game.

However if your ever so determined enough to, I wouldn't say upgrade... but convert your working 5.2 to 6 then I would challenge you to skim/ read this entire thread because there many little details you need to familiarize yourself before in order to get this to work and you will be better prepared to deal with the issues.

Hi guys,

like some of you too (Ziomalski), I'm struggling to get DSM6 working with an IBM M1015 controller. No drives found in DSM. I've flashed the controller to the latest LSI firmware in IT mode (P20). I'm running ESXi v6.0 Update 2 and I've pass-throughed the controller to my Xpenology machine (used the OVF in this thread to install it). For the test, I tried to pass-through the controller to a Windows VM, and it perfectly recognized the controller and all of my drives. So this looks like a driver problem for the Xpenology VM... Tbh, I'm not a Linux geek/ expert at all, so I didn't manage to succesfully import a driver yet. Is anyone of you guys able to do so (in the main image, so you can drop the 16 GB vdisk and replace it by a controller with its disks)? A new OVF with a driver of this commonly used controller included would be insane, but any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Xypriz

I have a Cisco UCS C220 with an LSI 9211-8i running P19 firmware (still don't trust P20) and an LSI 9265 with 16 2.5 SAS drives and 4 SATA 3 drives. Both are PCI-passthrough to XPEnology running ESXi 6.0 u2 and I have no issues connecting all of my drives.

I have a Cisco UCS C220 with an LSI 9211-8i running P19 firmware (still don't trust P20) and an LSI 9265 with 16 2.5 SAS drives and 4 SATA 3 drives. Both are PCI-passthrough to XPEnology running ESXi 6.0 u2 and I have no issues connecting all of my drives.

I just tried the P19 firmware. Besides the fact that the initialization of the controller upon boot takes way longer, it also doesn't help in detecting my disks (8x HGST 6TB). Are you using DSM6?

Hello everyone,

did anyone had a problem installing DSM 6 (NO SS) on ESXi 6 (AMD E-350 board) and not being able to see connected drives?

I have two 3TB drives connected on SATA Ports but in ESXi I cannot select SATA for this drives when mapping to VM.

So now I have created 2 vmdk files for Raw Devices and connected them as SCSI drives, but Synology doesn't see them. Any suggestions what can solve this problem?

(sorry if this is a stupid question, I am new to DSM)

Can you specify exactly which image you used to create your DSM setup? There are several posts with ovf/ova files so maybe I chose one with the drivers removed.

Can you specify exactly which image you used to create your DSM setup? There are several posts with ovf/ova files so maybe I chose one with the drivers removed.

I have tested this with all XPEnology 5.0-5.2 releases and the 6.x that Jun made on the new loader page. Compiled my own drivers.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk