XPEnology Community

Working DSM 6

oktisme

Hmmm.. I seem to have DSM 6 (7393) working on my mini server - Bare metal, not in ESXi.

I was using it as something else but had 2 new 3TB drives to do some tests - so that's what I left inside..

DSM 6 was installed onto a USB3 drive - and I booted from there..

Anyway.. Can logon fine, it's on the network etc..

It's still got the same issues with formatting the disks with BTRFS but can use ext4 in RAID 1 on the two 3TB drives (2.7TB usable).

It creates shares etc fine and is browsable.

It won't shut down when scheduled in a task - though clicking the button on the console works fine..

It installs apps fine (Hyperbackup, log station, Security camera stuff).

Currently taking an image of the memory stick (wishing I hadn't used 32GB) so I can fiddle with it.. :cool:

#H

Hmmm.. I seem to have DSM 6 (7393) working on my mini server - Bare metal, not in ESXi.

I was using it as something else but had 2 new 3TB drives to do some tests - so that's what I left inside..

DSM 6 was installed onto a USB3 drive - and I booted from there..

Anyway.. Can logon fine, it's on the network etc..

It's still got the same issues with formatting the disks with BTRFS but can use ext4 in RAID 1 on the two 3TB drives (2.7TB usable).

It creates shares etc fine and is browsable.

It won't shut down when scheduled in a task - though clicking the button on the console works fine..

It installs apps fine (Hyperbackup, log station, Security camera stuff).

Currently taking an image of the memory stick (wishing I hadn't used 32GB) so I can fiddle with it.. :cool:

#H[/quote

Pretty cool. What kind of hardware did you install it on?

i3 4330

ASUS H87i-Plus

16GB RAM (DDR3 1600)

2x WD RED 3TB

32GB Sandisk ultra fit flash drive

I had 3 other drives in it - as it had Server 2012R2 installed - but I've disconnected the power cables while I muck around (so I don't need to reinstall anything)..

I've managed to install the mini-updates. First to update 1 (just in case) and then to Update 2..

It's now on DSM 6.0.1-7393 Update 2 (BTRFS still fails when created).

Next step is to try to go to 8451.. :smile:

edit.. Trying to update to 8451 and it says 'the system is not compatible with the patch file'.....

hmmm

#H

i3 4330

ASUS H87i-Plus

16GB RAM (DDR3 1600)

2x WD RED 3TB

32GB Sandisk ultra fit flash drive

I had 3 other drives in it - as it had Server 2012R2 installed - but I've disconnected the power cables while I muck around (so I don't need to reinstall anything)..

I've managed to install the mini-updates. First to update 1 (just in case) and then to Update 2..

It's now on DSM 6.0.1-7393 Update 2 (BTRFS still fails when created).

Next step is to try to go to 8451.. :smile:

edit.. Trying to update to 8451 and it says 'the system is not compatible with the patch file'.....

hmmm

#H

Trying mine now in a VM. We shall see....

WooWoo: Unknown Error 21.. Glad it wasn't 22

There's a Virtual DSM pat file. The rest reference actual Model Numbers..

https://dedl.synology.com/download/DSM/ ... .0.2/8451/

Interesting... https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/6.0/ ... ualization

DSM-StinkeEye.jpg

I get that error in a VM too..

I did notice that my bare-metal install doesn't have a serial number listed in the System Info section. It's blank..

Does the 6.02 update need a valid serial number or something, I wonder?

I've wasted the last while trying to modify the serial number in the system using putty.

I had already added it to my syslinux.cfg file (I generated it) but no dice!

#H

I imagine you have seen all of these, but just in case:

http://xpenology.me/how-to-generate-syn ... alid-pair/

From within that thread..

followed the steps outlined here

to edit the bootloader with osfmount and xpenoboot 5.2-5592.2 using the excel tool provided and worked like a charm…. Note, my setup is a DSM on a USB with 4x3TB DIY system. So, I did not configure the cfg file to ignore the IDE boot as indicated in the video, just altered the serial number and mac address as outlined, then burned the xpenoboot img to usb and used the install/upgrade choice on first boot…then installed DSM5.2-5592 pat…everything worked perfectly.

Yep (thanks though). Read through that and watched the video a couple of days ago (pretty useful). I'm getting caught up fast as I came to the party late!

Oh.. I used a slightly different method to get DSM 6 onto my baremetal server.. :smile:

Modifying the MAC address was the next thing I tried - though it didn't resolve the 'no serial number' issue..

I did use ones generated by the spreadsheet - though didn't try to register them.

I 'found' a ds3615xs serial number - but couldnt find a MAC address for it. Is there a way to generate linked MAC's from a valid (It is, I've checked) serial number?

Thanks

#H

Yep (thanks though). Read through that and watched the video a couple of days ago (pretty useful). I'm getting caught up fast as I came to the party late!

Oh.. I used a slightly different method to get DSM 6 onto my baremetal server.. :smile:

Modifying the MAC address was the next thing I tried - though it didn't resolve the 'no serial number' issue..

I did use ones generated by the spreadsheet - though didn't try to register them.

I 'found' a ds3615xs serial number - but couldnt find a MAC address for it. Is there a way to generate linked MAC's from a valid (It is, I've checked) serial number?

Thanks

#H

I don't recall ever registering my Synology device, though I may have. It has always pulled updates. I used the VMDK provided by the OP and it already had the Serial in it.

So what method did you use to get it installed on your own hardware if you don't mind sharing?

Thanks

#H

I don't recall ever registering my Synology device, though I may have. It has always pulled updates. I used the VMDK provided by the OP and it already had the Serial in it.

So what method did you use to get it installed on your own hardware if you don't mind sharing?

I never registered anything either. So, what benefits are there to registering a seial number/mac address? Will it get rid of the error 21 whilst trying to upgrade?

To get it working on bare metal, I first tried the install ISO and PAT file manually. No dice.

I already had a VM working in VMWare workstation (downloaded earlier in this thread) and noticed the BOOT.vmdk (I knew this worked fine).

Basically, I took a copy of Boot.vmdk and ran a great little tool called VMDKtoPhys to transfer it to a USB disk.. (simple, huh) :grin:

Plugged the new USB Boot drive into my physical machine with my 2x 3TB drives, disabled the sound card in the BIOS (and sorted the boot order)..

As it's a USB drive, it's easy to edit the Syslinux.cfg file. Add SN and MAC if you want (when plugged into your normal computer).

I booted to the USB drive, selected 'Install' option. Followed the Wizard.

Voila, working..

You need to keep booting in install mode (after you've set up the disks). I've set this to the default option now.

Downloading the Update-1 and Update-2 files for 7393 manually and installing manually worked fine.

Only thing that doesn't work is BTRFS (that I've tested so far) and I can't update to 8451.

Oh and it's SERIOUSLY fast - compared to my little Synology 216j NAS.. :smile:

#H

tldr; Would a crossflashed IBM m1015 or a Dell h310 work if I passed it through to a DSM 6 VM on ESXi 6?

If flashed in LSI IT mode, both cards should work fine. The matching kernel drivers are included for "older" LSI cards

I posted a list of the ko files here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16114&start=250#p68157.

I'm trying to get passthrough working on my r710 (ESXi 6) with H200 flashed to LSI 2118it. I don't know what I'm doing wrong as it doesn't get recognized in DSM. Maybe I flashed the wrong version it firmware. Can anyone help me out?

In ESXi when adding the passthrough, it is recognized as "Dell 6Gbps SAS HBA Adapter". But durring post, it does label the card as 2118IT. Is this normal?

Thanks

To get it working on bare metal, I first tried the install ISO and PAT file manually. No dice.

I already had a VM working in VMWare workstation (downloaded earlier in this thread) and noticed the BOOT.vmdk (I knew this worked fine).

Basically, I took a copy of Boot.vmdk and ran a great little tool called VMDKtoPhys to transfer it to a USB disk.. (simple, huh) :grin:

Plugged the new USB Boot drive into my physical machine with my 2x 3TB drives, disabled the sound card in the BIOS (and sorted the boot order)..

As it's a USB drive, it's easy to edit the Syslinux.cfg file. Add SN and MAC if you want (when plugged into your normal computer).

I booted to the USB drive, selected 'Install' option. Followed the Wizard.

Voila, working..

You need to keep booting in install mode (after you've set up the disks). I've set this to the default option now.

Downloading the Update-1 and Update-2 files for 7393 manually and installing manually worked fine.

Only thing that doesn't work is BTRFS (that I've tested so far) and I can't update to 8451.

Oh and it's SERIOUSLY fast - compared to my little Synology 216j NAS.. :smile:

#H

Thix for the info, I had not run across VMDKtoPhys before. I have been using a DS414Slim and adding new drives to expand the array has literally taken over a week. I would love to have something faster but don't like the options Synology has as far as processors go. I gave it 4 cores in the VM but it only sees 2. It doesn't throttle CPU much but it will use as much RAM as you give it, as evidenced in the VMWare statistics. It's a pig...

I would love to have something faster but don't like the options Synology has as far as processors go. I gave it 4 cores in the VM but it only sees 2. It doesn't throttle CPU much but it will use as much RAM as you give it, as evidenced in the VMWare statistics. It's a pig...

The Info Center data for your CPU is either simply hard-coded (to conform to the model used), or otherwise bogus. For instance, the Info Center tells me I have an INTEL Core i3-4130, with 2 cores, whereas 'more /proc/cpuinfo' correctly shows an i7 980X, with CPU 0 and CPU 1, each with 2 cores (exactly as I specified in the VM).

I would love to have something faster but don't like the options Synology has as far as processors go. I gave it 4 cores in the VM but it only sees 2. It doesn't throttle CPU much but it will use as much RAM as you give it, as evidenced in the VMWare statistics. It's a pig...

The Info Center data for your CPU is either simply hard-coded (to conform to the model used), or otherwise bogus. For instance, the Info Center tells me I have an INTEL Core i3-4130, with 2 cores, whereas 'more /proc/cpuinfo' correctly shows an i7 980X, with CPU 0 and CPU 1, each with 2 cores (exactly as I specified in the VM).

Pretty much the same here. I gave it 4 cores of a Xeon and it shows two cores of an i3

Pretty much the same here. I gave it 4 cores of a Xeon and it shows two cores of an i3