XPEnology Community

Working DSM 6

oktisme

Of couse Oktismes DSM6 hack/workarround is not a 100% solution. But at leat he made the best progress so far and was willing to share it with us. When I read some forum posts, I get the impression that this is worth nothing to some people.

Thanks again for your effort to make this possible, Oktisme!

if you guys realy require the latest DSM6 updates, the best workaround for time beeing is to actualy buy a real synology NAS.

It the workarround is not your taste, well then wait for an offical XPE version that supports DSM6.

Of couse Oktismes DSM6 hack/workarround is not a 100% solution. But at leat he made the best progress so far and was willing to share it with us. When I read some forum posts, I get the impression that this is worth nothing to some people.

Thanks again for your effort to make this possible, Oktisme!

if you guys realy require the latest DSM6 updates, the best workaround for time beeing is to actualy buy a real synology NAS.

It the workarround is not your taste, well then wait for an offical XPE version that supports DSM6.

Well said.

Of course people are going to report back DSM6 can't be (fully?) upgraded yet. And of course they are going to express the wish it could be. I have yet to see anyone being unappreciative of the work of those who made a provisionary DSM 6 available, though.

As for 'wait[ing] for an offical XPE version that supports DSM6,' I haven't heard anything from the 'official' team in ages. In fact, ironicially, this very thread has sprung from the deafening silence on their end. A word or two, every once in a while, wouldn't hurt either.

Of course people are going to report back DSM6 can't be (fully?) upgraded yet. And of course they are going to express the wish it could be. I have yet to see anyone being unappreciative of the work of those who made a provisionary DSM 6 available, though.

As for 'wait[ing] for an offical XPE version that supports DSM6,' I haven't heard anything from the 'official' team in ages. In fact, ironicially, this very thread has sprung from the deafening silence on their end. A word or two, every once in a while, wouldn't hurt either.

I would just like to add my thanks to those who got a flavour of DSM6 running. However, I regard it as strictly experimental and I wouldn't entrust my valuable data to it at this point.

As for the regular devs, there is nothing they can say or do until Synology release source. We know they are still around as they produced 5967 but I suspect that they are getting on with their lives and will get back to it once there is something to do.

I agree that if you really want the features of DSM6 now, then it's time to put hands in pockets and buy a real device.

And if you are genuinely running production for business critical work, then I would say you are being unwise to rely on XPE anyway. You should go for the fully supported Synology solution.

so...the official team is getting paid for their contibution/work?...no!...however feel free to donate to them so much, that they can work on the version all day long...

they are usually doing this in their spare time....and of course it would be great to have a regular update...but hey...still they're doing this for free and in their spare time....

so as haydibe already told...it's up to you to spend your money on the real synology if you always must have the latest update as soon as it's available....

alternatively...you can set up your own nas os...there are surely many out there which would meet your requirements

for me 5.2 is working stable and fine on my main system...and my new system is running on DSM6 but hey...what do i miss in DSM5 against DSM6?

for me 5.2 is working stable and fine on my main system...and my new system is running on DSM6 but hey...what do i miss in DSM5 against DSM6?

DSM 6, most notably, comes with Btrfs: a significant improvement over just regular RAID5/6, as it offers true data integrity protection (even against bad sectors).

And I actually *would* consider buying a real Synology machine, if they weren't so ridiculously slow and meagre, hardware-wise. But as it is, ESXi is the only viable route for me.

And just because ppl are eager to be able to upgrade their DSM to version 6, doesn't mean they're ungrateful. It's just that the latest DSM 6 upgrades are major (compared to the latest to DSM 5), with a great many important fixes/speedups to Btrfs and backup software. And that was to be expected, as DSM 6 is very new, of course.

So, again, please don't take my enthusiasm (and that of others) regarding the latest DSM 6 for ungratefulness. I'm really just anxious to get my system to the latest and shiniest, and enthusiastic about the XPenology in general.

DSM 6, most notably, comes with Btrfs: a significant improvement over just regular RAID5/6, as it offers true data integrity protection (even against bad sectors).

And I actually *would* consider buying a real Synology machine, if they weren't so ridiculously slow and meagre, hardware-wise. But as it is, ESXi is the only viable route for me.

And just because ppl are eager to be able to upgrade their DSM to version 6, doesn't mean they're ungrateful. It's just that the latest DSM 6 upgrades are major (compared to the latest to DSM 5), with a great many important fixes/speedups to Btrfs and backup software. And that was to be expected, as DSM 6 is very new, of course.

So, again, please don't take my enthusiasm (and that of others) regarding the latest DSM 6 for ungratefulness. I'm really just anxious to get my system to the latest and shiniest, and enthusiastic about the XPenology in general.

How about use a FreeNAS or something similar as back-end and use a Synology to mount it as front-end?

Anyone tried this?

How about use a FreeNAS or something similar as back-end and use a Synology to mount it as front-end?

Anyone tried this?

Anyone tried this?

I probably don't fully undersrand the idea, but why would you want that?! FreeNAS comes with ZFS, which is (arguably) even better that Btrfs. What would XPenology add to that?

I would also briefly like to the point the community to this thread:

http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5806&p=70962#p44329

I'm experiencing the same issue (and probably everyone else?). 2 things about it are poignant: first, naturally, that your disks will *never* (!) run idle this way; and, secondly, that the manual SMART status request you can do in the Storage Manager actually *is* able to read your drives' temps. Makes you wonder whether the SmartDataRead stuff can be disabled at all.

Anyone tried this?

I'm using that.

FreeNAS is very robust and safe.

Run DSM5 on virtualbox to get just the front end for files management and torrents.

So far so good.

A quick question.

Do you know when Synology give out source codes of DSM 6 to community? By the rules they would have done it, right?

Probably somewhere between the time hell freezes over and when pigs will start to take to the air. :razz:

On a more serious note, I hope someone sues the sh*t out of them!

A quick question.

Do you know when Synology give out source codes of DSM 6 to community? By the rules they would have done it, right?

Probably somewhere between the time hell freezes over and when pigs will start to take to the air. [emoji14]

Apparently they are releasing the source code when version 6.0.2 drops. That's apparently their source code base.

A quick question.

Probably somewhere between the time hell freezes over and when pigs will start to take to the air. [emoji14]

Apparently they are releasing the source code when version 6.0.2 drops. That's apparently their source code base.

What do you mean by 'drops'? They're currently at 6.0.2.8451, I think. So, you mean they'll release it at 6.0.3?

At least it's good news they're releasing *something*. I hope they'll do it soon! Thanks for the info.

A quick question.

What do you mean by 'drops'? They're currently at 6.0.2.8451, I think. So, you mean they'll release it at 6.0.3?

At least it's good news they're releasing *something*. I hope they'll do it soon! Thanks for the info.

Oh really?

I thought they were still at 6.0.1.

Information I had was that 6.0.2 was going to be their source code base.

Oh really?

I thought they were still at 6.0.1.

Information I had was that 6.0.2 was going to be their source code base.

Well, my Update center says version 6.0.2.8451 is ready for install (which won't install, of course; but that's another matter). So, I assume 6.0.2.8451 is their latest version then.