XPEnology Community

Working DSM 6

oktisme

I installed DSM 6 based on mrbasic1's guideline some pages back:

Steps to install and config VMware player with DSM 6 running in a virtual machine.

Just my 2 cents

mrbasic1

All went fine and I was able to configure it as wanted. I'm using VMware WS12 as plattform and shared the DSM-VM to be able to autostart. I also rebooted several times (VM as well as whole Host-Maschine with Win10).

As of this morning, I couldn't start DSM 6 anymore without going directly into migration mode. If I migrate manually with the patched pat file, the system reboots correctly, but comes back again into migration mode. Does any one know what happended? I'm allways booting the VM in run mode as I couldn't enter install mode while booting up the VM.

I'm looking forward to your ideas how to solve.

Cheers Juergen

I installed DSM 6 based on mrbasic1's guideline some pages back:
Steps to install and config VMware player with DSM 6 running in a virtual machine.

Just my 2 cents

mrbasic1

All went fine and I was able to configure it as wanted. I'm using VMware WS12 as plattform and shared the DSM-VM to be able to autostart. I also rebooted several times (VM as well as whole Host-Maschine with Win10).

As of this morning, I couldn't start DSM 6 anymore without going directly into migration mode. If I migrate manually with the patched pat file, the system reboots correctly, but comes back again into migration mode. Does any one know what happended? I'm allways booting the VM in run mode as I couldn't enter install mode while booting up the VM.

I'm looking forward to your ideas how to solve.

Cheers Juergen

Are you booting using the "run" mode, if so that's what I experienced as well. You need to use the "Install" mode after reboot to avoid migration mode. However, I have another issue. I tried to set up WOL, but found that restart always gives me an improper shutdown error. I am not sure what went wrong and whether it's specific to my hardware.

To those who got DSM6 running successfully, do you see any error during restart? Thanks and have a great weekend!

Yes, I'm booting in RUN mode. How can I start with install mode? While booting, I have no chance to switch the option.

Is there any way to edit the boot option? (enhance time to choose or setting install mode as default)

Thanks for your help

Cheers Juergen

P.S: I have already setup root and have access via WinSCP & Putty, so editing any files should be possible

Edited by Guest

Hi,

Sure you can :grin:

open DSM_DS3615xs_7393.iso with Ultraiso (for instance), extract the ISOLINUX.CFG file (don't close ultraiso for yet)

Open this file in text mode and change DEFAULT run to DEFAULT install (you can also change your serial number and mac adress).

Save it and add your new file in ultraiso (replacing the old one).

Save and close ultraiso.

That's all :wink:

FYI: I have written an email to Synology due to the release of source code of DSM6. I cannot post the original answer here, but the core message is as follows:

- DSM 6.0.2 will be available in the coming weeks

- DSM 6.0.2 will be the candidate for the DSM GPL source

- It is expected to be released around early Q4 this year

I think this is pretty good news for you, guys! Let's hope the DEV team will start their work as soon as the source is available. I will be happy to contribute, someone of the DEV team please contact me via PM.

That's a very good news, thanks !

9. Now start "Synology Assistant" available for the Synology web site under software other.

I'm using the windows based install of Synology Assistant as it's easy to use and has

the search option, plus allows you to map drives from the diskstation to Windows.

You should find the new DiskStation with the assistant so click the server name and

the Connect button.

10. Your browser should now be present with the "Create your administrator account" heading,

for a DS3615xs type diskstation. Fill in the details for server name, admin ID and passowrd

and web assistant find.synology.com preference then hit next.

11. Now you have the Congratulations screen confirming you admin account was created. Hit next

I have followed the steps listed in this guide kindly provided by mrbasic1, however when I connect to DSM it keeps saying the DiskStation is in a migration state. No matter if I go through a migration or 'clean' install after the reboot and I reconnect I keep getting to the same Migration page.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Edit: Got it working by using the original files on the first page.

Edited by Guest

I have a problem with the serial number.

In syslinux.cfg, I put one from http://quickconnector.orgfree.com/index.php or from the excel sn generator

synology assistant show me a blank serial. But the mac adress is ok.

packet center and information center tell me serial is blank

Did I miss something ?

I had the same issue.

Change sn=xxxxxx to custom_sn=xxxxxx

Then it should work.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Hello,

is it possible to get DSM6 working on "Vmware Workstation 11 Linux"?

I tested it under "Vmware Workstation 11 Windows" and it is working.

But on "Vmware Workstation 11 Linux" the e1000e driver is not working.

I found this:

For Linux guests, e1000e is not available from the UI (e1000, flexible vmxnet, enhanced vmxnet, and vmxnet3 are available for Linux).

Good. Try to use BTRFS functionality, and see if it works... :?:

The functionality seems to work. I've only tried Hyper backup and Cloud Station ShareSynch....

But it's still bugging me why during the baremetal install, the mount command to fix the crash btrfs volume1

$ mount /dev/lg1000/lv/volume1

gives me an error that says it can't find the volume1 in /etc/fstab ???

Does anyone know what I did wrong there?

TIA.

There is a problem with your command. You could of just checked what /etc/fstab says and then I'm thinking you would of noticed the issue. There should be a space before /volume1 my command was a bit different too. mount /dev/vg1000/lv /volume1 works perfect and then you can add it to /etc/crontab * * * * * root mount /dev/vg1000/lv /volume1

Now I just need to add a command that creates file shares during boot that way I don't need to do it manually. Anyone got any ideas on what that would look like?

Hello,

is it possible to get DSM6 working on "Vmware Workstation 11 Linux"?

I tested it under "Vmware Workstation 11 Windows" and it is working.

But on "Vmware Workstation 11 Linux" the e1000e driver is not working.

I found this:

For Linux guests, e1000e is not available from the UI (e1000, flexible vmxnet, enhanced vmxnet, and vmxnet3 are available for Linux).

What you wrote is for "Linux guests" but you should look for "Linux hosts".

Linux guest is the VM.

And what can i do?

DSM 5.2 is working, but with Intel e1000.

Is it possible to make a DSM_DS3615xs_7393.iso with e1000 or vmxnet3 driver?

Maybe is been asked.

Baremetal install successful??

Probably has but I've read all 40 pages a few different times and didn't see any mention. Maybe mkdir will work I will test later. Yes baremetal install. Works great with a few modifications on Intel Nuc.

Fresh install? or upgrade? could you provide some sort of guide plz thanks.

Maybe is been asked.

Baremetal install successful??

Probably has but I've read all 40 pages a few different times and didn't see any mention. Maybe mkdir will work I will test later. Yes baremetal install. Works great with a few modifications on Intel Nuc.

I have a problem with the serial number.

In syslinux.cfg, I put one from http://quickconnector.orgfree.com/index.php or from the excel sn generator

synology assistant show me a blank serial. But the mac adress is ok.

packet center and information center tell me serial is blank

Did I miss something ?

I had the same issue.

Change sn=xxxxxx to custom_sn=xxxxxx

Then it should work.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

This indeed fixed the issue. However, I cannot log in to my synology account in dsm due to an "unkown error". Has anyone been successful so far?

Hi!

Iv*e got everything work yesterday but i dont know what happend today :/

maybe is it bevause in installed SurveillanceStation-x86_64-7.2.2-4649.spk

i patched it with sspatcher-v061

chek around littlebit in menus etc... after some time but now i have

extreamly slowly xpenology and i get errors like:

synology connection failed please check your network settings

and i cant check updates.. says no connection etc... and i cant see almost nothing in menus...

every boxes looks emty and so on :sad:

haha... and now i get blank (white) login page :sad:

maybe someone can help me?

Only i can log in with telnet. SSH not also working to :/

Hi!

Iv*e got everything work yesterday but i dont know what happend today :/

maybe is it bevause in installed SurveillanceStation-x86_64-7.2.2-4649.spk

i patched it with sspatcher-v061

chek around littlebit in menus etc... after some time but now i have

extreamly slowly xpenology and i get errors like:

synology connection failed please check your network settings

and i cant check updates.. says no connection etc... and i cant see almost nothing in menus...

every boxes looks emty and so on :sad:

haha... and now i get blank (white) login page :sad:

maybe someone can help me?

Only i can log in with telnet. SSH not also working to :/

Same problem here!

DSM 6 running fine on esxi, used okitsme's hw10 workstation vmdks converted.

Tested with sata virtual disks, btrfs raid 6, everything seems to work.

Thank you so much for sharing this, I would have never been able do pull something like this off!

I have two issues. One is the lack of shr support which I attribute to the DS3615xs pat. Anyone have a workaround?

The bigger problem for me however is that the perc H310 card finally arrived, flashed it to LSI it firmware (following techmattr's guide) but it does not work with dsm. Have two disks connected for testing, passed the card to DSM but disks dont show. If I pass it to a Windows vm drives show and operate as expected.

Do I have to take any additional steps to enable the card? One weird thing is that even though the flashing worked (confirmed multiple times to test my sanity) the card shows as a Dell in esxi.

your controller should be a rebranded LSI9211-8i, which should be supprted by the included mpt2sas.ko driver.

Something is strange with the driver. It exists in /lib/modules and can be loades from the cli 'insmod /lib/modules/mpt2sas.ko'. After insmod, mpt2sas is listed in lsmod. But i couldn't load it using modprobe...

Though, i never tried to actualy use my lsi contollers in pass thru mode with DSM6. My main storages are still using XPE and I mounted shares from it to my DSM6 vm. Since i am using DSM6 only for it's docker capabilites, it's workng fine for me :smile: