XPEnology Community

Working DSM 6

oktisme

Hmm, is there any truth to this?!

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Btrfs-RAID-56-Is-Bad

My main reason for wanting DSM 6 is precisely Btrfs. If it's as fundamentally flawed as they say it is, then maybe I need to rethink the whole deal.

As far as I was aware, at present, Synology have built DSM using MDADM with LVM as the Raid / logical volume manager and then uses BTRFS as the file system over the top so it does not use the BTRFS inbuilt raid setup.

Hmm, is there any truth to this?!

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Btrfs-RAID-56-Is-Bad

My main reason for wanting DSM 6 is precisely Btrfs. If it's as fundamentally flawed as they say it is, then maybe I need to rethink the whole deal.

As far as I was aware, at present, Synology have built DSM using MDADM with LVM as the Raid / logical volume manager and then uses BTRFS as the file system over the top so it does not use the BTRFS inbuilt raid setup.

Thank you! This is good news. :smile: I was getting worried there for a moment.

Awesome work! I have finally installed from DSM5.x to 6.x Bare metal. It may have taken me 14 hours, insomnia, screaming kids/wife. A huge thanks to every who posted/helped within this forum :smile:

Hi flushentity, that's great.

Can you describe your hardware and you way to get in run....

Best M.

Awesome work! I have finally installed from DSM5.x to 6.x Bare metal. It may have taken me 14 hours, insomnia, screaming kids/wife. A huge thanks to every who posted/helped within this forum :smile:

Best M.

what information?!

the only thing I see are people using here are the vmware images. I have an acer easystore h340 im trying to get 6.0 running on bare metal and pulling my hair out.

Let me see if I have this all right. In order to run on bare metal, your nic has to be supported? If you use btrfs, you have to manually mount your drives every time you boot?

Am I missing anything from that? Is there any list or way of knowing what is supported? Is the install of 6 just like everything else?

I am about to install xpenelogy for the first time. I have been playing with 5.2 in a vm. I like what I read about 6, but is it worth going for now or should I wait? If I wait, will the upgrade later mean I have to wipe everything? Will I be able to move to btrfs? Lot of questions, sorry. Just want to get it right the first time if I can.

Let me see if I have this all right. In order to run on bare metal, your nic has to be supported? If you use btrfs, you have to manually mount your drives every time you boot?

Am I missing anything from that? Is there any list or way of knowing what is supported? Is the install of 6 just like everything else?

I am about to install xpenelogy for the first time. I have been playing with 5.2 in a vm. I like what I read about 6, but is it worth going for now or should I wait? If I wait, will the upgrade later mean I have to wipe everything? Will I be able to move to btrfs? Lot of questions, sorry. Just want to get it right the first time if I can.

I think it's better you run last know working version, have you need only v6 feature ?

No. But if I can save an upgrade that might come in the short term, than I would like too. But if it is better to just go with the last stable release that is fine with me. It provided pretty much everything I needed. The only thing it didn't was a Plexpy spk. Trying to get that to work in a docker or manual install about sent me over the boat. But that is something for another day. Thank you.

No. But if I can save an upgrade that might come in the short term, than I would like too. But if it is better to just go with the last stable release that is fine with me. It provided pretty much everything I needed. The only thing it didn't was a Plexpy spk. Trying to get that to work in a docker or manual install about sent me over the boat. But that is something for another day. Thank you.

I don't think we will have a short term upgrade, Synology still unpublishing gpls source , without them the team can't write new bootloader

you did a great job!!

I'm running fine dsm6 with ss on vmware esxi 6.0u2 with sata disk and e1000e ethernet using ovf template from this topic.

Do you know if brtfs on vmware is stable? any feedback about using rdm disks?

working on my end.

I have created from scratch a volume raid 1 on 2 rdms with btrfs...now it's ok...had some problems at the beginning with errors on volume, but creating it from scratch deleting all data and then reversing inside again made it works good at least till now.

I don't think we will have a short term upgrade, Synology still unpublishing gpls source , without them the team can't write new bootloader

Just for my curiosity, I wonder how the current boot loader for bare metal (DSM_DS3615xs_7393_bootX.img) is created without the source code published. Is it based on the beta 2 code published? How reliable is it right now, and anyone use DSM 6 for serious stuff?

Best M.

Running this on an old dell insperion dual core, 8gb ram, 2x1gb sata drives, PCI 1gb network card.

Followed the posts and downloaded the ISO, flashed this onto 8gb USB stick, booted - installed, rebooted and left the menu on run. Works flawlessly! Fantastic job, time to flash this onto my other Nas.

Best M.

Running this on an old dell insperion dual core, 8gb ram, 2x1gb sata drives, PCI 1gb network card.

Followed the posts and downloaded the ISO, flashed this onto 8gb USB stick, booted - installed, rebooted and left the menu on run. Works flawlessly! Fantastic job, time to flash this onto my other Nas.

@Flushentity: Did you get BTRFS working without any manual mounting commands every time you restart? In my case, the baremetal was ok until I restarted. I was able to manually mount but lost test data.

If I understand correctly there are no "extra" drivers, so you can either only run on Synology supported parts or in a VM. My plan is to run DSM 6 on top of ESXi 6 with a RAID/HBA card passed through instead of rdm. I guess in this case the card might cause issues, as it has to be supported. I never owned a RAID card and have no experience. Or do these cards "abstract" the disks in a sense that they work without drivers?

At the moment all my drives are on the motherboard SATA headers, mapped to a Windows Server 2012 VM. But all ports are filled up; I need to but can't expand further. This is what I am trying to replace and move away from Windows at the same time. It's a home setup mostly for backups and media and some tinkering, nothing critical. I'm looking to reduce the administration pain of Windows with DSM as it is more than enough for my needs.

I just got a second hand Supermicro case with a SAS2 expander backplane and need to choose a card. I read good things about the IBM m1015 and the Dell H310 both crossflashed to LSI firmware. I’m leaning toward the Dell, since I can source it locally, while the IBM I can only find on ebay from Chinese sellers. Is it a smart idea to buy from one of the sellers from Chine/Hong Kong? I know there are many fake Intel NICs sold on ebay, don't want to run into such a thing with the HBA card. Would one of these work in the above configuration; passed through to the DSM 6 VM?

tldr; Would a crossflashed IBM m1015 or a Dell h310 work if I passed it through to a DSM 6 VM on ESXi 6?

Thanks for any help!

i guess there is still no way to update an existing 5.x installation to 6.x?

if you boot with the iso of 6 it should prompt you to upgrade.

and thats working? i thought the current situation is, that synology did not release the code yet and we have to wait for a new bootloader? are my information old?

FYI: I have written an email to Synology due to the release of source code of DSM6. I cannot post the original answer here, but the core message is as follows:

- DSM 6.0.2 will be available in the coming weeks

- DSM 6.0.2 will be the candidate for the DSM GPL source

- It is expected to be released around early Q4 this year

I think this is pretty good news for you, guys! Let's hope the DEV team will start their work as soon as the source is available. I will be happy to contribute, someone of the DEV team please contact me via PM.