XPEnology Community

Working DSM 6

oktisme

Bare-metal works great

I got around the 'mount at reboot' by putting the mount command in /etc/crontab to run every minute.

** WARNING: Do not enable DockerDSM unless you have multiple NICs or you'll lost network connectivity to you box **

Bare-metal works great

I got around the 'mount at reboot' by putting the mount command in /etc/crontab to run every minute.

** WARNING: Do not enable DockerDSM unless you have multiple NICs or you'll lost network connectivity to you box **

I have a single NIC assigned to my VM running DSM6 in run mode: no such problem!

BTRFS/Docker work fine. DockerDSM does not: on normal start permissions get removed inside the Docker-Container which cause DockerDSM to get stuck in the init phase. When started using details/start things seem fine (no permission problem), but DockerDSM is not reachable from the network.

Disappearing Nics must be related to running DSM6 in install mode.

Edited by Guest

Today I've attempted a baremetal install on my box with a NIC (Intel 82579LM) that should be compatible with e1000e driver but right after I boot from the USB and select install option it freezes on the following screen:

2016_07_19_00h30_34.png

As per Cstout, I've tried changing the SATA mode in the BIOS to RAID without any luck.

I used the following IMG (DSM_DS3615xs_7393_boot.img) file posted by Dynax on page 24:

https://mega.nz/#!w9RkULAR!3_Hhvp7yX3kcPEnl36xFFoJQP-OzBOQsfkRBzxw1ONY

Also, I've tried to make a bootable USB out of the ISO (DSM_DS3615xs_7393.iso) posted by Oktisme (page 22) with Rufus and it froze on the same screen shown above.

https://mega.nz/#!5UFiAYAR!KVy46LyxA73XlJE50eD3SriE2XbVMF-AyGQ2CRFhfVs

Any idea how to get past this? Maybe those four Tux pictures mean something? lol

when you get to that screen, go to http://find.synology.com (or synology assistant) to continue with the setup. Either way brtf is not working on my boot file. See my above post for a better more complete setup.

Just a quick update. No matter which img I try (even the last one posted by Dynax), it always freezes at the screen shown above if I select the Install option. Find.synology.com won't see it at all. On the other hand, Synology Assistant does detect it but everything is greyed out including the "connect" button. The only thing that worked for me and allowed me to fully install DSM is the run option but it requires the mount command and after restarting my shares dissapeared. So no go for baremetal even though my nic is compatible. Next I will try it under ESXi 6 or 5.5

@substorm: you don't happen to have an lsi controller that is compatible with the included mpt2sas.ko driver?

Would be interessting to see if it solves the boot problem.

What you decribe as "freeze" is due the missing console output, because it's send to the serial port instead to the screen.

success criteria: synofind is able to find the booted instance.

If you want it simple, clean and easy: use the ovf/ova files from page 7 on ESXi6.

H! All

I have DSM6 running on ESXi6 with SHR-BTRFS. Just noticed that my USB3 external drive is not being recognized by the sytem. And also my MFC Printer hooked up to USB3 is no longer recognized. However, in control panel under INFO, they are both 'seen' as connected USB devices.

Any ideas why?

TIA.

H! All

I have DSM6 running on ESXi6 with SHR-BTRFS. Just noticed that my USB3 external drive is not being recognized by the sytem. And also my MFC Printer hooked up to USB3 is no longer recognized. However, in control panel under INFO, they are both 'seen' as connected USB devices.

Any ideas why?

TIA.

That's why I had to revert to DSM5. My USB drives weren't showing and I need them for my photos backup job.

I could see that the drive was passed to the VM but DSM couldn't see it. I tried both USB2 and USB3 emulation but still didn't work.

On a separate issue, I have an old DS211+ machine which I use for backup that I upgraded to DSM6. But I found out that only certain models was enabled by Synology for BTRFS. It didn't make sense to me because if the VM can be btrfs-enabled, then I don't see why the physical machine is disabled. I'm trying to compare the /etc/synoinfo.conf files between the VM and the physical to see if there is any setting that enables the btrfs functionality. But I'm not familiar enough with all the ins & outs and didn't want to mess up my backup machine. But I think it's in that configuration file.

Does anyone here know?

TIA.

On a separate issue, I have an old DS211+ machine which I use for backup that I upgraded to DSM6. But I found out that only certain models was enabled by Synology for BTRFS. It didn't make sense to me because if the VM can be btrfs-enabled, then I don't see why the physical machine is disabled. I'm trying to compare the /etc/synoinfo.conf files between the VM and the physical to see if there is any setting that enables the btrfs functionality. But I'm not familiar enough with all the ins & outs and didn't want to mess up my backup machine. But I think it's in that configuration file.

Does anyone here know?

TIA.

I tried the following--changed the defaultfs to btrfs and added systemfs="ext4"

defaultfs="btrfs"

systemfs="ext4"

Added:

support_btrfs="yes"

Rebooted the machine and created a voulume. Before the modification I wasn't given the btrfs choice at all--it just defaulted to ext4. But this time it did and it created the btrfs volume. Immediately after it crashed just like the VM. I tried to issue the mount command but I get the same error as before....

hi @ all,

i just did a quick test on my BAREMETAL system using following image:

" (DSM_DS3615xs_7393_boot.img) file posted by Dynax on page 24 "

My System is:

X9SIL-F + Xeon E5

32 GB RAM

LSI SAS 9300-16i

QLE 10G Fiber NIC

D-Link DXE-820T 10G Copper NIC (connected & active with DHCP)

=> when i use IPKVM to remotely manage the system the display output always breaks after i choosed "run" or "install" last message i see is the "booting the kernel" (solved by modifying the syslinux file)

==> when using the "run" option the system won't be available at all

==> when using the "install" option i can install the DSM_DS3615xs_7393.pat

===> afterwards i always can access the system when uning the "install" option at boot

=> updated to last DSM 6.0.1-7393 Update 2 via WebUI = SUCCESS

=> create volumes using ext4 = SUCCESS

=> creating volumes using brtfs = UNsuccessfull, always immediately the message volume crashes comes up

Hello everyone !

Currently running XPEnoboot 5.2-5967 on ESXi 6.

Drives are connected to LSI 2008 directly presented to VM using PCI passthrough.

Already tested DSM6 on ESXi and it works, but without PCI passthrough and LSI (using virtual disk only)

Any experience with LSI and passthrough on DSM 6 ?

BTW, it seems that current use of DSM6 on ESXi is still not very widely tested yet. Any though on that ? Thus not really for 'production' for now ?

Thanks in advance !

KR,

Titi

Hello everyone !

Drives are connected to LSI 2008 directly presented to VM using PCI passthrough.

Already tested DSM6 on ESXi and it works, but without PCI passthrough and LSI (using virtual disk only)

BTW, it seems that current use of DSM6 on ESXi is still not very widely tested yet. Any though on that ? Thus not really for 'production' for now ?

Thanks in advance !

KR,

Titi

The required driver for your LSI2008 chip based controller is included in DSM6 (at least in the boot/pat combinaton that oktisme created).

I assume that it would work.

Ready for production? Depends on your expectations

I do trust my application data (mostly from docker-containers) to dsm6 using a vmdk disk.

I don't trust my harddisks to dsm6.. they are still assigned to a a XPE vm with direct io using a LSI2008 chip based controller.

Hi,

Migrated from Workstation 12 to ESXi 6 through VMware Converter without problems. As somenone yet said it´s mandatory to create the VM ESXi 5.5 compatible and hardware version 10. If you migrate later to ESXi 6 it doesn't boot. Btrfs works ok without mounting manually the volumes. I have tested Snapshot and replication between VM and my NAS and works perfectly!!. The only thing is that I can resize volumes once with websphere client. Next time give me a permanent error saying I'm out of space. But it´s not true. I don't know if it is a problem from the web client or because I'm using iSCSI storage. But anyway it´s a minor problem I think I can resolve.

I took months waiting for virtualized DSM6!!.

Regards.

Hello everyone !

Thanks in advance !

KR,

Titi

The required driver for your LSI2008 chip based controller is included in DSM6 (at least in the boot/pat combinaton that oktisme created).

I assume that it would work.

Ready for production? Depends on your expectations

I do trust my application data (mostly from docker-containers) to dsm6 using a vmdk disk.

I don't trust my harddisks to dsm6.. they are still assigned to a a XPE vm with direct io using a LSI2008 chip based controller.

We have same setup. And PCIe passthru works--except USB. That's the only issue I have so far....

I edited and removed the sound card, no use for it in hp gen8 :smile:

Settings got saved this time; why did you made a 100 Gb hdd ?!? 16 or 20 Gb are more than enough for install...

Not a big issue, but I wanted to use my ssd drive as datastore, and I only have like 30 Gb free on it.

Thanks again, finally working on esxi :smile:

dsm6_1.jpg

Edit: What version did you converted ? From 12 to 10 or from 11 to 10 ? I want to try and make one myself, with a smaller install hdd.

Edit2: I did it, from version 11 to v10, with a 16 Gb drive; it works, I tried this conversion yesterday and it didn't work, because the boot disk was SCSI not IDE I guess.

Here is an ovf with only 16 Gb drive, no sound card, 2 Gb ram and 2x2 cpu.

https://mega.nz/#!J4YV3ZxY!AGg7p4c_cgM5NRjWhvjHAhajoW9cLWSchZ806WA0PRw

As posted above, after import enter vm settings and check the drives, IDE and non-persistent for boot and SATA persistent for the first drive; you can add a new drive (only SATA) now or later, after the config. Use webui to modify the vm settings and add drives, vsphere can't add SATA.

Big thanks to oktisme and haydibe

Hi m8,

i'm trying your VM.

I just changed CPU cores from 4 to 1 because I don't have so many cores available.

I just start the VM after deploying OVF and let it run, but it hangs on "booting the kernel".

any hint?