XPEnology Community

Working DSM 6

oktisme

I reiterate my request for the XPenology team to say something. Their silence is confusing. Are they working on something? Have they left? What's up?

They can't work on sources that have not been published :sad:

Under the GPL 2.0 License, Synology is obligated to release the source. Period. What's the hold-up?

Steps to install and config VMware player with DSM 6 running in a virtual machine.

First all credit goes to member oktisme for providing the patched DSM files that allow this

to work. I'm only writing this because the 20 page thread started by oktisme for "Working DSM 6"

gets confusing at times, plus a member asked me to provide a tutorial on how I did this.

Thus documenting my experience would possibly help other members that wished to venture into it.

My configuration is a Windows 7 Professional PC 64-bit with a Intel i5-4590S CPU @ 3.00GHz 4 Core(s)

16G memory, 2 NIC interfaces Realtek PCIe GBE, 1 SSD main drive for Windows and 1 secondary SATA 1TB

HDD. External HDD's are two WD My Book 6TB USB 3.0 drives re-formated to wipe away all partitions and

data that originally came with the drives. The reason for the re-format is, the drives filesystem is

cloned from a master image. This results in both drives having the same volume signature, causing a

signature collision that prevents mounting both disk.

1. Install VMware Player. Link: https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/fre ... layer/12_0

2. Download the patched DSM 6 at Link: https://mega.nz/#!Rc9kDC4R!jd3zcwFE1w2x ... eAmqgUFhOk

3. Extract the 7zip DSM 6 to the freshly formatted WD My Book drive, in my case drive G

4. Start VMware Player and select open a virtual machine

5. Now to cinfigure the VM

. double click network adapter and change it from NAT to Bridged and select configure adapters

button. In my case I selected Realtek PCIe GBE #2 because I have two NIC's.

The purpose of Bridged is to allow the VM guest to share the host's network allowing

the VM guest to come up in the same subnet so other hosts on your network can find it.

I originally tried the NAT option but my VM guest came up in another subnet which as

a somewhat newbie to this found difficult at best to come up with the port forwarding

and iptables solution to resolve it.

. If using USB 3.0 double click USB Controller and change it to USB 3.0.

. Now click Hard Disk (SATA) and then add button select Hard disk then SATA for Virtual disk type

then Create new virtual disk now specify disk size in GB (in my case I used 2040 for 2TB) with

the split virtual disk into multiple files radio button selected then hit next. Repeat to add

another drive.

6. Now your done configuring so hit OK to go back then hit "Play virtual machine" and a window will pop

up indicating "The virtual machine might have been moved or copied so just hit the "I Copied It"

button.

7. Now a list of devices that can be connected to the VM pops up, just hit OK.

8. Now you should see messages with the last being "Booting the Kernal", this is normal.

9. Now start "Synology Assistant" available for the Synology web site under software other.

I'm using the windows based install of Synology Assistant as it's easy to use and has

the search option, plus allows you to map drives from the diskstation to Windows.

You should find the new DiskStation with the assistant so click the server name and

the Connect button.

10. Your browser should now be present with the "Create your administrator account" heading,

for a DS3615xs type diskstation. Fill in the details for server name, admin ID and passowrd

and web assistant find.synology.com preference then hit next.

11. Now you have the Congratulations screen confirming you admin account was created. Hit next

12. Now the selection for DSM update & maintenance for which I only have "Download DSM updates and

install manually" checked. Those of us that run XPenology boot loader know why updates should

be manual. Hit Next

13. Now the "Your all set" screen comes up so hit next and your DSM 6 VM is now up and running.

Additional notes I did install the latest DSM from Synology 6.0.1-7393 update 1 after the first boot

to DSM, it did not cause a re-boot, just a refresh and worked just fine. Also when opening Storage manager

to configure the raid drives you should see 3 unused drives if you followed the documented steps. So to

define the disks to DSM you must first create a raid group (I chose raid group for single volume) and

keeping it simple I selected JBOD over the other raid types. Then next creating the volume as type btrfs or

ext4 as both worked for me. I then modified my router to reserve a IP address to the connected mac address

of the VM and shut it down then powered it back up and now the address is always the same, in my case

192.168.1.80 and can be accessed from other hosts in my network.

When you shutdown the diskstation I have observed it also shuts down the VMware Player guest.

When you boot up after shutting down it takes some 3 minutes before the diskstation comes ready for use.

Again this tutorial is just the step by step process I used for my VM Guest with the hardware I have so it may

or may not work for you. A nice side affect is you can remove the VM and start over if you find you want to try

some other approach. (been there a few times)

Just my 2 cents

mrbasic1

Edit2: I did it, from version 11 to v10, with a 16 Gb drive; it works, I tried this conversion yesterday and it didn't work, because the boot disk was SCSI not IDE I guess.

Here is an ovf with only 16 Gb drive, no sound card, 2 Gb ram and 2x2 cpu.

https://mega.nz/#!J4YV3ZxY!AGg7p4c_cgM5NRjWhvjHAhajoW9cLWSchZ806WA0PRw

As posted above, after import enter vm settings and check the drives, IDE and non-persistent for boot and SATA persistent for the first drive; you can add a new drive (only SATA) now or later, after the config. Use webui to modify the vm settings and add drives, vsphere can't add SATA.

Big thanks to oktisme and haydibe

Is this OVA files supposed to work on ESXi 5.x?

It fails for me with "Invalid configuration for device 6"

The provided ovf and ova files do work flawless on ESXi6 and should work on 5.5 as well - since the used virtual hw version is 10.

The vm MUST remain on hw version 10! If the vm gets updated to version 11, you end up in an installation loop.

It doesn't add up why changing the hw versionen messes up everything, but it does!

You'll need the - not yet released - kernel sources in order to compile new drivers.

@oktisme: did dsm6 come with precompile intel E1000e drivers?

Hi Haydibe

what did you do to get the VM online ?

I downloaded the OVF and importet to ESXI 6.0

but I cant resolve it through Syno assistant

I have E1000e ass well..

if I make a VM with normal Ubuntu, it goes online fine..

If I boot the the patched .ISO (bootloader XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5644.5) I can find it through Assistant ass well

You'll need the - not yet released - kernel sources in order to compile new drivers.

@oktisme: did dsm6 come with precompile intel E1000e drivers?

Hi Haydibe

what did you do to get the VM online ?

I downloaded the OVF and importet to ESXI 6.0

but I cant resolve it through Syno assistant

I have E1000e ass well..

if I make a VM with normal Ubuntu, it goes online fine..

If I boot the the patched .ISO (bootloader XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5644.5) I can find it through Assistant ass well

The only situation i can think of where your machine is not detectable by synoassist/findsyno, is when the network configuration is messed up..

Since you pointed out that your are allready using a E1000e vNic, following things come to mind:

- vNic is not connected to a bridged vSwitch

- bridget network does not run a dhcp server

- the mtu size of your network is something different than 1500

I can't imagine any other scenario that causes a boot from the boot cd/vmdk to not appear in synoassist/findsyno.

Btw. which ESXi verison are you using?

Here are the file if you want to install it yourself.

Here are some things to note about the configuration of the VM before installing:

- It supports only a handful of NICs. On Workstation I configure it to use the e1000e driver, plain e1000 doesn't work.

- It only sees SATA disks.

- If you want console access (I don't know how that would work on ESXi though) you need to add a serial port.

- You need 2 SATA HDs: one to install Synology on and one to use as storage.

How to install:

1 - Boot with the Install option

2 - Go to http://find.synology.com

3 - Upload the .pat file

4 - Reboot with the Run option. You only boot with Install once

5 - Go to http://find.synology.com and configure

6 - Done!

The reason the VM I posted uses a Boot HD is because DSM resets the BIOS and you have to manually (ESCAPE during boot) tell it to boot via ISO. I don't know how this will play out on ESXi.

DSM_DS3615xs_7393.iso

DSM_DS3615xs_7393.pat

thx @oktisme, everything works!

Would u please release one usb bootable img version? it's very important to us.

Has anyone been able to create a SHR volume with this?

I don't see the option. I'm forced to create a raid group and cannot just create Volumes from the start.

Is this normal?

I was able to create the SHR using PCIe passthrough using 3-3TB SATA drives and 2 64 GB SSD drives I used for cache.

Can I ask what sata card you have for PCIe pass through?

Also, did you have to create a RAID group first before creating the Volume?

It seems I have to create a raid group and then can create a volume from there. But there is no SHR option.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

I just used a cheap 4-port marvell card. No I did not have to create a RAID group. The volume manager wizard created the SHR.

I was able to create the SHR using PCIe passthrough using 3-3TB SATA drives and 2 64 GB SSD drives I used for cache.

Do you have better performance with your SSD cache ? Does it work well ? Last question, do you use two identical SSD ? Thank you !

The synch between servers goes much faster it seems. And on-the-fly conversion of media files definitely faster.

Has anyone been able to create a SHR volume with this?

I don't see the option. I'm forced to create a raid group and cannot just create Volumes from the start.

Is this normal?

Can I ask what sata card you have for PCIe pass through?

Also, did you have to create a RAID group first before creating the Volume?

It seems I have to create a raid group and then can create a volume from there. But there is no SHR option.

I just used a cheap 4-port marvell card. No I did not have to create a RAID group. The volume manager wizard created the SHR.

Can you link me the card?

All I can find are over $100.

Here are some things to note about the configuration of the VM before installing:

- It supports only a handful of NICs. On Workstation I configure it to use the e1000e driver, plain e1000 doesn't work.

- If you want console access (I don't know how that would work on ESXi though) you need to add a serial port.

How to install:

3 - Upload the .pat file

6 - Done!

The reason the VM I posted uses a Boot HD is because DSM resets the BIOS and you have to manually (ESCAPE during boot) tell it to boot via ISO. I don't know how this will play out on ESXi.

DSM_DS3615xs_7393.iso

DSM_DS3615xs_7393.pat

I managed to run these files on ESXi 5.5 + upgraded it to the latest / greatest DSM version.

Some notes:

- E1000 works as a nerwork adapter

- always boot from ISO file and pick "Install" menu item, "Run" item doesn't bring the VM into proper state

How to install:

3 - Upload the .pat file

6 - Done!

DSM_DS3615xs_7393.iso

DSM_DS3615xs_7393.pat

I managed to run these files on ESXi 5.5 + upgraded it to the latest / greatest DSM version.

Some notes:

- E1000 works as a nerwork adapter

- always boot from ISO file and pick "Install" menu item, "Run" item doesn't bring the VM into proper state

And btrfs is supported and your array is not marked as broken from the beginning?

You would be the first one that succeeds with this approach...

thanks to those folks who provided input. I have DSM6 running as a VM guest under workstation12. the boot process fooled me for a minute, I was expecting to see the usual msg stream that I see on a baremetal DSM startup. Boots in a couple of secs with miniml output, then used Syno Assistant to find server. Would like to change serial number as it matches one I already have.

Added 2 Virt disks of 250GB and created RAID (JBOD) array.

Considered a build of either ESXi or small Linux distro as host OS with VM Workstation but the disk limits suggest this wont work for me limit being Virtual disk size 2TB minus 512 bytes.

Is this one disk or total disks to equal 2TB. Any VM guru input appreciated

Thanks for sharing your experience guys.

I was able install DSM 6 and all the latest update on my ASUSTOR NAS under VirtualBox.

I've assigned 2GB ram and 2 cores for this VM from my 8GB Quad core system

Just followed instructions from the above mentioned post.

I installed online version rather than using provided PAT file.

Network card I used is Intel PRO 1000 (Bridge)

Only thing that i would like to mention It only works under INSTALL, couldn't make it work under RUN

Installed surveillance package and using my cameras,

everything is running great

Before this I've been using DSM 5.2.5644 for long time with no issue, just turned that VM off

Make iso usb flash bootable and DSM 6 fine started on GA-H61M-S2PV motherboard...

but i cant say that it,s working stable right now)

what difference with boot option RUn and Install - because it dont working on run after install, but work on "install" boot option

installing by internet explorer and finding synology by synology assistant. find.synology dont see new installation...

Installation in virtualbox is working too...

brtfs - dont working... only ext4

Make iso usb flash bootable and DSM 6 fine started on GA-H61M-S2PV motherboard...

but i cant say that it,s working stable right now)

what difference with boot option RUn and Install - because it dont working on run after install, but work on "install" boot option

installing by internet explorer and finding synology by synology assistant. find.synology dont see new installation...

Installation in virtualbox is working too...

brtfs - dont working... only ext4

Oktisme specificly created this for vmWare Workstation/Player 12 (hw version 12).

We managed to convert it to an ESXi 5.5 compatible format (hw version 10) , which actualls works fine in ESXi6.0 (must stay at hw version 10).

if synofind is not finding dsm6 or the installer is asking for the pat file: something went wrong! synofind should start at setting up the admin account.

It does not support VirtualBox, Hyper-V or baremetal system. No network card will be found.

The install mode does run a slightly modified XPE, which in fact does not work with BRTFS - it's not ment to be used like that!