XPEnology Community

Working DSM 6

oktisme

Ok so one big problem. Everything works well until i go to restart the machine. As soon as i restart it, it sends me to Synology WEb Assistant to install the DSM.

This is what i have done.

Import OVF

Edit Settings to make Sata Drive 8TB

Edit Settings to change RAM To 8GB

Edit Settings to change CPU to 8vCPUs

Start the machine.

Set up the user/password etc.

Set Download updates automatically but manually install (as i do not want to update as this has broken my xpenology in the past).

Created a volume from the single 8TB Drive

BTRFS SHR (no data protection).

Reboot.

Sent to install DSM.

Anyone know why this is doing this?

Working perfectly on both ESXi 6 and VMWare Workstation. Thanks so much for your awesome work!

Anyway to add new drivers yet? Or make compatible to boot via USB and get working on Desktop PC's? Why no support from Xpenology Dev's?

Thanks again.

i was wondering this also. seems kind of strange they havent contributed to the discussion yet.....

If by 'they' you mean the XPenology team, I think they're probably waiting for Synology to finally comply with the GPL 2.0 License, and publish the DSM 6.0 Source already.

@donmimo

How is that link supposed to help ?

I tried, it didn't work as is visible in the picture:

Please select "use a fisical disk" option.

Where is that option? Can't find it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

That link was to show you that it's possible to control edit setting of your vm's on esxi from vmware workstation.

Don't know man either you are doing something different or your vmware workstation version is not supported. I can definitely connect to esxi and add existing RDM disks.

From your workstation:

File/Connect to server

Fill in the esxi username password and open the settings of your VM on esxi.

From there it's self explanatory to add an existing disk and select your RDM disk as SATA and start your VM.

That's all, nothing more nothing less.

I know how to connect and that it's possible to edit, but from my workstation v12 I can't add RDM for some reason (as seen in that picture). It is the same for dsm5 not only for dsm6. The RDM's are made in command line and added to dsm5 with vsphere; I removed one disk from dsm5 and tried to use the that rdm to dsm6, not working. Then I tried to put it back to my dsm5 vm using workstation, not possible, only with vsphere I was able to do that.

Has anyone been able to create a SHR volume with this?

I don't see the option. I'm forced to create a raid group and cannot just create Volumes from the start.

Is this normal?

I was able to create the SHR using PCIe passthrough using 3-3TB SATA drives and 2 64 GB SSD drives I used for cache.

Has anyone been able to create a SHR volume with this?

I don't see the option. I'm forced to create a raid group and cannot just create Volumes from the start.

Is this normal?

I was able to create the SHR using PCIe passthrough using 3-3TB SATA drives and 2 64 GB SSD drives I used for cache.

Can I ask what sata card you have for PCIe pass through?

Also, did you have to create a RAID group first before creating the Volume?

It seems I have to create a raid group and then can create a volume from there. But there is no SHR option.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Do you have better performance with your SSD cache ? Does it work well ? Last question, do you use two identical SSD ? Thank you !

Is someone able to help me with Let's Encrypt? I can't get it working and not sure why.

It just tells me that it doesn't work and to log back in to the DSM interface.

See: https://stefandingemanse.nl/how-to-use- ... ology-dsm/

Hint:

[Create a port forward for port 80 from you router to the IP of your Synology NAS. I don’t know for sure but I think this is because of the automatic approval and is used for installing the certificate.]

Actualy letsencrypt creates a token, which will be tried to access via using the dns name you provided. If the token can't be accessed, the certificate doesn't get created.

Is someone able to help me with Let's Encrypt? I can't get it working and not sure why.

It just tells me that it doesn't work and to log back in to the DSM interface.

See: https://stefandingemanse.nl/how-to-use- ... ology-dsm/

Hint:

[Create a port forward for port 80 from you router to the IP of your Synology NAS. I don’t know for sure but I think this is because of the automatic approval and is used for installing the certificate.]

Actualy letsencrypt creates a token, which will be tried to access via using the dns name you provided. If the token can't be accessed, the certificate doesn't get created.

This is killing me.

I've got port 80 forwarded and have web station installed. I've also made sure I have A records in my DNS to point to my external IP address. But I still can't get the bloody thing working.

When I hit apply, It thinks for a sec and then says "The operation failed. lease login again to dsm and retry"/

Was the same for me, until i activated webstation... After that things went perfectly fine.

Are you sure you added your dns name as a vhost in webstation?

Ah. Maybe that's it.

Do I need to add a vhost for each SAN or just the domain name?

For example, do I need a vhost for mail.example.com;webmail.example.comDSM.example.com I'd these are in the Subject Alternative Name field in the LetsEncrypt wizard? Or do I just need a vhost for example.com?

Good question.

I don't use SANs myself - i just have a single FQDN, which i use as CN :smile:

So i can just apply common sense: checking the access for the CN, but not for every SAN, would result in broadly usable certificates. Such a certificate could be used to spoof official sites. Would a CA support that? I doubt so!

Letsencrypt does not support wildcard cetificates... creating a certificate for *.example.com won't work...

edit: i missunderstood you... i am not sure if webstation is able to use example.com as a wildcard for *.example.com. just give it a try :wink:

Good question.

I don't use SANs myself - i just have a single FQDN, which i use as CN :smile:

So i can just apply common sense: checking the access for the CN, but not for every SAN, would result in broadly usable certificates. Such a certificate could be used to spoof official sites. Would a CA support that? I doubt so!

Letsencrypt does not support wildcard cetificates... creating a certificate for *.example.com won't work...

edit: i missunderstood you... i am not sure if webstation is able to use example.com as a wildcard for *.example.com. just give it a try :wink:

Okay cool.

Thanks for that. I'll give it a try without vhosts for the SANs and see what happens. I'm just trying to alleviate using port numbers in my URLs for various services running on DSM.

Now if I could only get vmware to allow me to add RDM disks I'll be set (I dont have a data controller).

Many thanks to oktisme for providing this. I was able (new to vmware) to get this working as described, with 2x2TB virtual drives on a 6TB USB my book drive using jbod.

Also have a second nic on my windows PC that is used by the VM in Bridged mode allowing other hosts on my network to access the VM. Very useful for testing anything under

DSM 6. Very well done and I am impressed as it's very stable.

mrbasic1

Many thanks to oktisme for providing this. I was able (new to vmware) to get this working as described, with 2x2TB virtual drives on a 6TB USB my book drive using jbod.

Also have a second nic on my windows PC that is used by the VM in Bridged mode allowing other hosts on my network to access the VM. Very useful for testing anything under

mrbasic1

Hi,

The forum thread is very long now (20 pages).

Could you make a deteiled tuto on how to do it, using latest tips ?

Is it possible to make it work on a Gen8 Microserver (with Vtd capable CPU) ?

Regards

mrbasic1

Hi,

The forum thread is very long now (20 pages).

Could you make a deteiled tuto on how to do it, using latest tips ?

Is it possible to make it work on a Gen8 Microserver (with Vtd capable CPU) ?

Regards

I reiterate my request for the XPenology team to say something. Their silence is confusing. Are they working on something? Have they left? What's up?