XPEnology Community

Working DSM 6

oktisme

i was able to use 'install' to install DSM6 baremetal on a HP Microserver Gen8, then i tried to boot with the 'run' option and it wouldnt find the box anymore.

I know it was said that only 1000e NIC was supported, but since the 'install' mode supports network, is there a way to get it to work in 'run' mode aswell?

If you have used the ISO file to do this, then you need to make some modifications to the ISO to enable "run" to work.

I have got as far as using this to create a VMWare machine from scratch and I have been able to migrate data (but not settings or users) from 5.2.

You need to use a utility like winiso to edit the isolinux/isolinux.cfg file to look like this:

UI menu.c32
PROMPT 0
TIMEOUT 50
DEFAULT run
MENU TITLE Synology

LABEL run
      MENU LABEL Run
      KERNEL ../XPEnoboot
      APPEND root=/dev/md0 ihd_num=0 netif_num=4 syno_hw_version=DS3615xs sn=B3J4N01003 vid=0x0EA0 pid=0x2168 vga=0x305

LABEL install
      MENU LABEL Install
      KERNEL ../XPEnoboot
      APPEND root=/dev/md0 ihd_num=0 netif_num=4 syno_hw_version=DS3615xs sn=B3J4N01003 vid=0x0EA0 pid=0x2168 console=ttyS0,115200 upgrade=6.0.1-7393

This also gives you the console listing.

Edited by Guest

If you have used the ISO file to do this, then you need to make some modifications to enable "run" to work.

I have got as far as using this to create a VMWare machine from scratch and I have been able to migrate data (but not settings or users) from 5.2.

You need to use a utility like winiso to edit the isolinux/isolinux.cfg file to look like this:

UI menu.c32
PROMPT 0
TIMEOUT 50
DEFAULT run
MENU TITLE Synology

LABEL run
      MENU LABEL Run
      KERNEL ../XPEnoboot
      APPEND root=/dev/md0 ihd_num=0 netif_num=4 syno_hw_version=DS3615xs sn=B3J4N01003 vid=0x0EA0 pid=0x2168 vga=0x305

LABEL install
      MENU LABEL Install
      KERNEL ../XPEnoboot
      APPEND root=/dev/md0 ihd_num=0 netif_num=4 syno_hw_version=DS3615xs sn=B3J4N01003 vid=0x0EA0 pid=0x2168 console=ttyS0,115200 upgrade=6.0.1-7393

This also gives you the console listing.

By doing that, you're trying to run the v6 files with the 5.2 "core".

I don't even know on how many levels of wrong this is, but even if it did work you would not get anything over staying with 5.2.

Hi

I have a G8 with ESXi 6 and have been trying to get the OVF file provided by koroziv to work.

I import the ovf and check that the HDD1 is IDE and non persistant, I see HDD2 but can get no details for it in the vsphere client, I don't have the web client.

When I boot the VM and let it run as per the instructions in this in this thread, I cannot see the DSM 6 NAS on the network. I have tried the web finder and also the synology assistant. I have cheacked the VM to ensure the networking is tied to a valid and operational port on the LAN.

What else can I check?

Check your router, you should see there all the clients in your lan. Or some network scanner app, to see all active ip's.

Also install the webui, it's really easy.

https://labs.vmware.com/flings/esxi-emb ... ost-client

In any case, it should work. If the console is not completely black you have it running, if it's remaining empty after the start of the vm you need the webui to investigate.

Edit

If you installed esxi 6.0 update 2 HP custom image you should already have the webui installed, I think it's included.

Go to

https:///ui

and check. If you have it update to the latest version before use.

Edit 2

Try Nmap to scan your lan.

https://nmap.org/

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

yep, the embedded client is rolled out with esxi6.0u2.

If you have a previous version of esxi: check the link koroziv provided and enter those two lines on a ssh shell to your esxi host.

I downloaded the vib file to get the download link from it and used it as an url to fetch the file. The Instalation will be silent and take some time, so be patient.

When the prompt returns, you can access the ui using http://esxi-ip/ui.

By doing that, you're trying to run the v6 files with the 5.2 "core".

I don't even know on how many levels of wrong this is, but even if it did work you would not get anything over staying with 5.2.

I can see that. The problem was that that I couldn't get the zimage you made to work and this "works" to an extent - at least to load and test apps and to migrate data.

Cheers Guys

I was using an old version of ESXi from last year, have started from scratch with the latest HPE version and the web gui is a nice little addition I must say.

Imported the OVF again, upped the ram and booted straight up. Found easily after a few minutes and sitting at the config screen as I type. Its been a while since I had to this with Xpenology in ESXi, what steps do I need to do next to add the actual storage? I have one logical volume presented by the HP raid controller, the data store/logs/drivers...etc... are also warehoused on this volume.

cheers and good work for bringing DSM 6 to us all

Start storage manager, go to raid group, hit create. Chose the drive, the type (I used basic, single drive vtrfs); at some point drag and drop from left to right, next-next until finish.

When you are done with that go to volume and hit create, using the raid group you just created.

Repeat when you add other drive, if you have more drives and you want you can create a raid 1, 5 whatever, I like to keep mine simple, basic is ok to play around :smile:

I guess you already figured out all this, but for some reason I don't get notification for new posts on some forums...

Hi koroziv

I think I messed up, I used the web gui to expand the 16gb HDD2 to 3tb to use this as my drive. When I go to create a raid group it crashes out after hitting apply and says no raid group so I can't create a volume.

Should I have added a third HDD in the VM and left the 16GB one alone?

Edit: third times a charm, I am off and running, don't know what issue it was having before.

Second Edit: nope, bombs out after several seconds and exists the raid group creation screen

wel,l now the only thing left, is to find the sources for open-vm-tools.

I tried to find them everywhere but had no success.

It was part of the synocommunity spksrc chain, but it seems that it never was part of the official sources...

Edited by Guest

Leave that one alone and add another hdd from the webui; on that 16 Gb you install the apps ad the big one is for storage.

I only changed from 8 to 16 Gb and didn't had issues, but I did that before booting and starting the DSM config.

Yep, realized that I just deleted the Syno OS which was on the 16GB drive its booted into the install DSM screen. I think I will just blow it away and re-import the OVF and add a third drive.

Would there be anyway of transitioning the boot disk to an Xpenology bootloader for bare metal install?

still, verion 9.10 will not cover the latest additions to esxi 6.0.

The latest available open-vm-tools version is 10.0.5 build 3227882.

The build number is roughly higher by 750000...

If someone would provide the sources of 9.10.0 i would give it a try to appopt them to 10.0.5

All spks from the Synocommunity toolchain are build from the scratch, so it's high likely that not much modifications are necessary to get it compiled :wink:

A couple of weeks ago i did find a fork from the synocommunity sources which included letsencrypt.. After tinkering arround with the toolchain, i was able to build the package. It's running on one of my XPE machines - though, the spk becomes obsolete with dsm6, which has build in support for letsencrypt.

Success!

I was not able to create a raid group using a 3tb drive, but I dropped the size down to 600gb and have a volume 1 now. Apps seems to install and run ok, now for some further testing.

Do i need to keep the 16gb disk 2 or can I delete it now I have a volume in operation?

Btw. when using the ova/ofv file from koroziv or me on esxi, the output of 'dmesg' is free of errors :grin:

It was full of errors when I made my first installation attempt using the iso and creating a new vmdk from the scratch.

I had to boot with install in order to pass the migration page and could not create a volume at the end.

So whatever the differences between the iso/selfinstallation approach and the ootb vm are, they make the ootb vm solution working effectivly.

While the iso/selfinstallation approach is not working correct (from the perspective of esxi, things might be different on vm ware player/workstation)

It would make it easier if the zImage for the "run" option included more drivers like paravirtual drivers from the kernel. Now as it seems the boot of "run" is limited by a handful of hardware which is maybe only supported in esxi (version dependent).

Removing it should not create any issues, as far as I know DSM gets installed on all drives; but didn't tried it on 6 so far...

WHAT?! NO!! You can't remove the 8GB, this is the ONLY place where it is installed...

once you setup the second HD and setup a Datafolder on it you can remove the premade small HD.

Yes, after you add a new volume you can remove the initial one. Every time you add a drive in dsm you will notice that its missing some space (about 4.6 Gb on dsm6). That space is reserved for dsm, in case you need to remove the first drive or it crashes. So as long as you have at least one working volume you can remove all others, no matter the creation order, dsm will boot normally. This was the case at least since dsm4 (my first contact with synology) and didn't change now.

PS: Just to be sure I tested right now, removed the initial drive (16 Gb in my ovf) and the vm started just fine from the other drive that I added after.