XPEnology Community

Working DSM 6

oktisme

I managed to convert the vm using vmware converter, directly to my host, it boots but always ask to migrate; tried various stuff, no joy for now. Maybe I'll try another conversion later, this one gave me 512 MB boot file. (thick provisioned)

figured out how to get it running on esxi6

you need to use the webclient, the boot.vmdk has to be defined as IDE

only the webclient can add a sata controller, after i did that i created the machine, booted with the boot.vmdk

-> can't get the premade dsm 6.vmdk running on ESXI :sad:

- is there a way to put the iso on a usb stick like it used to work and than use that on a N36L or Microserver Gen8?

Other problem is that when using the "install" option from the .iso and installing the pat, after reboot using the "run", it will want to migrate the HD every time i boot. Tried this a few times (1st time with install, than with run) without success. Is there anything else to do to make it run after installing?

Thing is: it works flawless in Workstation and Player.

I had no success yet to run it on ESXi - when try to remove and add the DSM_6.vmx (regardless of version 10 or 11 hardware export) that the vw would not be usable for Procuts that support up to hw version 11.

Pretty odd...

After further testing and seeing few comments here, I think I might just wait for the proper loader to use v6 in my home setup. However, Oktisme has showed us that there is hope for the new version. Maybe Synology has put more hidden protection that doesn't kick in right away but after some period of usage things will stop working.

If that happens, could I then just buy a Synology NAS and move my disks there without losing data?

@substorm I have looked through the DSM6 beta2 code and I do not think Synology have made major changes to the source between b2 and RTM.

The only protection feature I could find is the closed source kernel module synobios.ko which is not a new way for Synology to "protect" DSM.

Yes it is possible to move a raid from one DSM machine to another.

little update: fired up the VM on VMWare Fusion (guess it would work with vmware workstation the same way), created another virtual HD, created filesystem, removed the premade HD from the download, box still boots up.

now transfered to my esxi, it boots up and works just fine :smile:

little update: fired up the VM on VMWare Fusion (guess it would work with vmware workstation the same way), created another virtual HD, created filesystem, removed the premade HD from the download, box still boots up.

now transfered to my esxi, it boots up and works just fine :smile:

Now export the working vm to OVF and share :smile:

The only protection feature I could find is the closed source kernel module synobios.ko which is not a new way for Synology to "protect" DSM.

That's not the only file. There's protection in the web code from, IIRC, as far as 4.3.

Plus libsynosdk which has some... irregularities when running on non-Synology WRT networking and the serial number.

could I then just buy a Synology NAS and move my disks there without losing data?

Even better: you can install linux and recover/use your drives from there (see How can I recover data from my DiskStation using a PC?).

I figured why the package that oktisme provided did not run as expected on esxi. Neither the orignal (=hw version 12, snapshot) , nor the downgraded one (~=hw version 11, no snapshot).

The harddisk "dsm 6.vmdk" is created using hardware version 12, which is not supported by any esxi version (even esxi 6.0u2 does not!).

Even when the provided vm is downgraded to hw version 10 or 11 using "change hardware compatibility" in vmware workstation, the harddisk is still hw version 12! I took a look at the vmdk with a hex editor - the string ddb.virtualHWVersion = "12" is always present. So the harddisk gets not downgraded.

That said: there is no way to use the ootb solution in esxi. It is like oktisme said: if the migration wizard appears on each reboot, it is because the "dsm 6.vmdk" can't be accessed by the esxi...

What can be done is to remove the disk "dsm 6.vmdk", add a new one and use the iso installer to install dsm6.

@oktisme: i know that you provided a hw version 11 version of your vm, but can you recreate a new vm based on hw version 10 - it is a pitty, but downgrading the hw version using vmware workstation is not sufficient here.

@oktisme: converting it to hw version 10 using the vmware converter worked, there is no need to recreate the vm. Thanks for all the efforts you put into making this work!!

Edited by Guest

I played arround with the vmware converter.

Here are my findings while converting the workstation vm to an infrastruktur vm

- hw version 11: failed, starts with the migration wizzard

- hw version 10: seems good, starts with the configuration wizzard

While converting, be sure to change the network adapter to 1000e, changing the harddisk to thin provisioning has no effect, it will be fat provisioned anyway.

Be sure to change the boot drive to be independent and not persistant.

The hw version 10 conversions works like a charm on esxi!

Made available for download here: https://mega.nz/#!T4gg0TgR!648lMRPslln0kflqejSchpkxSTnvs-G5cmtTFtyRJq0

Please be aware that the harddisks is set to 100gb and will be fat provisioned regardless of the setting while ova import AND the bootdisk need to set to be independent and not persistant before first boot!!!

Thanks; system is geting ready... it started; the vm cpu is 1x4 cores, changed in settings 2x2, settings not saved, but it works. I tried first to edit settings in vsphere - error, then I edited in the web ui but for some reson it didn't save the cpu.

During my test, I figured that changes in the vSphere Client get persisted, while those in ui don't.

To be honest: i didn't try to do any config changes in the current vm yet. I am just glad that it works the way it is now :smile:

You can always extract the ova file and edit the ovf file, create the sha1 checksum and repace the existing value with the new one.

Then you can use the ofv file to import the vm.

I edited and removed the sound card, no use for it in hp gen8 :smile:

Settings got saved this time; why did you made a 100 Gb hdd ?!? 16 or 20 Gb are more than enough for install...

Not a big issue, but I wanted to use my ssd drive as datastore, and I only have like 30 Gb free on it.

Thanks again, finally working on esxi :smile:

dsm6_1.jpg

Edit: What version did you converted ? From 12 to 10 or from 11 to 10 ? I want to try and make one myself, with a smaller install hdd.

Edit2: I did it, from version 11 to v10, with a 16 Gb drive; it works, I tried this conversion yesterday and it didn't work, because the boot disk was SCSI not IDE I guess.

Here is an ovf with only 16 Gb drive, no sound card, 2 Gb ram and 2x2 cpu.

https://mega.nz/#!J4YV3ZxY!AGg7p4c_cgM5NRjWhvjHAhajoW9cLWSchZ806WA0PRw

As posted above, after import enter vm settings and check the drives, IDE and non-persistent for boot and SATA persistent for the first drive; you can add a new drive (only SATA) now or later, after the config. Use webui to modify the vm settings and add drives, vsphere can't add SATA.

Big thanks to oktisme and haydibe

I figured why the package that oktisme provided did not run as expected on esxi. Neither the orignal (=hw version 12, snapshot) , nor the downgraded one (~=hw version 11, no snapshot).

The harddisk "dsm 6.vmdk" is created using hardware version 12, which is not supported by any esxi version (even esxi 6.0u2 does not!).

Even when the provided vm is downgraded to hw version 10 or 11 using "change hardware compatibility" in vmware workstation, the harddisk is still hw version 12! I took a look at the vmdk with a hex editor - the string ddb.virtualHWVersion = "12" is always present. So the harddisk gets not downgraded.

That said: there is no way to use the ootb solution in esxi. It is like oktisme said: if the migration wizard appears on each reboot, it is because the "dsm 6.vmdk" can't be accessed by the esxi...

What can be done is to remove the disk "dsm 6.vmdk", add a new one and use the iso installer to install dsm6.

@oktisme: i know that you provided a hw version 11 version of your vm, but can you recreate a new vm based on hw version 10 - it is a pitty, but downgrading the hw version using vmware workstation is not sufficient here.

@oktisme: converting it to hw version 10 using the vmware converter worked, there is no need to recreate the vm. Thanks for all the efforts you put into making this work!!

Thanks for the info.

I created one with v10 hardware from scratch.

Changes:

- Both disks are now SATA (instead of one SCSI and one SATA)

- Everything is v10

If someone could test it in ESXi and report back, thanks.

DSM 6 (HW v10).7z

I edited and removed the sound card, no use for it in hp gen8 :smile:

I am not sure if the cd drive and sound card get added while import anyway. At least i remember that i removed the cd drive and after the import it was present anyway :smile:

Settings got saved this time; why did you made a 100 Gb hdd ?!? 16 or 20 Gb are more than enough for install...

Not a big issue, but I wanted to use my ssd drive as datastore, and I only have like 30 Gb free on it.

I use this instance just for Docker, while mounting XPE-shares into local folders.

Here is an ovf with only 16 Gb drive, no sound card, 2 Gb ram and 2x2 cpu.

https://mega.nz/#!J4YV3ZxY!AGg7p4c_cgM5NRjWhvjHAhajoW9cLWSchZ806WA0PRw

As posted above, after import enter vm settings and check the drives, IDE and non-persistent for boot and SATA persistent for the first drive; you can add a new drive (only SATA) now or later, after the config. Use webui to modify the vm settings and add drives, vsphere can't add SATA.

I used the originaly posted hw12 vm and converted it to a hw10 vm.

Regarding the sockets and cores: They are provided by a hypervisor abstraction and provided as logical units. The hypervisor does not distinguish between 2x2 or 4x1, performancewiese it will be the same. I doubt that DSM has any advantages when using 2x2 over 4x1. The only situation where it realy matters is when you use a proprietary application which has licenses base on CPU and/or Cores.

It's odd that you are able to change settings now, but couldn't when importing my ova file.

Did you find a way to shrink the thin provisioned dsm6.vmdk?

Big thanks to oktisme and haydibe

Welcome :smile: Though, all credits go to oktisme, he did the real job!

Thanks for the info.

I created one with v10 hardware from scratch.

Changes:

- Both disks are now SATA (instead of one SCSI and one SATA)

- Everything is v10

If someone could test it in ESXi and report back, thanks.

DSM 6 (HW v10).7z

Not working for me; I copied the files on a datastore, imported the vm and tried to start it. It won't boot with SATA :

Failed to power on virtual machine DSM 6-v10. Failed to open disk sata0:0: Unsupported or invalid disk type 7. Ensure that the disk has been imported.

edit

After I change the boot to IDE:

Failed to power on virtual machine DSM 6v10. Failed to open disk sata0:1: Unsupported or invalid disk type 7. Ensure that the disk has been imported

I guess that we need to convert the vm to properly import the disks.

Edit 2:

I converted the v10 to v10 and it works now; after conversion I edited the settings to make the boot non-persistent as before. Only now we see in storage manager the boot drive, becouse it is SATA now not IDE as before.

update : And now we have 5 seconds to chose run or install at every boot.

One other thing I noticed is the long time before you are able to login, about 3 minutes after I start the vm. If you try before that you get a message : system is getting ready, try again later. Maybe that's how dsm6 work's, I don't know.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hmm, that's odd. I took a peak into the vmdk files and both are hw version 10.

Maybee a thin provisioned harddisk in workstation results in a disk type unknown to esxi.

seems my gues was almost correct, it applies to harddisks created by workstation in general: https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/micro ... Id=1028943

@koroziv: the time until the system is ready for login increased compared to 5.2 ...

Edited by Guest

One other thing I noticed is the long time before you are able to login, about 3 minutes after I start the vm. If you try before that you get a message : system is getting ready, try again later. Maybe that's how dsm6 work's, I don't know.

Yeah this has to do with one of the patch which doesn't fulfill all the operations required to tell the "boot steps manager" that everything is ok, so it just waits until it times out before letting you log in.

As per this comment in usr/syno/etc.defaults/rc.sysv/serv-bootup-timeout.sh

# Increase bootup timeout from 180 to 600 when pgsql is update database

it looks like your observation of 3min is spot on.