XPEnology Community

Working DSM 6

oktisme

Here are the file if you want to install it yourself.

Here are some things to note about the configuration of the VM before installing:

- It supports only a handful of NICs. On Workstation I configure it to use the e1000e driver, plain e1000 doesn't work.

- It only sees SATA disks.

- If you want console access (I don't know how that would work on ESXi though) you need to add a serial port.

- You need 2 SATA HDs: one to install Synology on and one to use as storage.

How to install:

1 - Boot with the Install option

2 - Go to http://find.synology.com

3 - Upload the .pat file

4 - Reboot with the Run option. You only boot with Install once

5 - Go to http://find.synology.com and configure

6 - Done!

The reason the VM I posted uses a Boot HD is because DSM resets the BIOS and you have to manually (ESCAPE during boot) tell it to boot via ISO. I don't know how this will play out on ESXi.

DSM_DS3615xs_7393.iso

DSM_DS3615xs_7393.pat

Here, I downgraded it to 10.x since it tells me that 9 doesn't support SATA, which is required, and that 10 is supported by ESXi 6.0.

DSM 6 Workstation 10.x.7z

I haven't tested all packages, but so far they work.

Volumes are accessible and stay mounted.

I just tried the document viewer with pdf, xlsm, docx and it works.

I can configure the indexed search and it tells me that the indexing is done; don't really know how to test if it really works though.

Thank you very much for this. I still can't boot on my setup, but that's my problem :smile:

I run esxi on a hp gen8; I copied the vm, added a new hdd and no joy :

"Failed to start the virtual machine.

Module DevicePowerOn power on failed.

Unable to create virtual SCSI device for scsi0:0, './Boot.vmdk.REDO_kF29hq'

Failed to open disk scsi0:0: Unsupported or invalid disk type 2. Ensure that the disk has been imported."

When removing the first (out of two) serial ports (with vSphere Client) , changing the harddisks to be connected to the sata controller (with esxi embedded host client) and changing the nic to 1000e, i am able to boot and start the installert. Though, the installation is starting all over again after each reboot.

To access the "install" item, i had to use the vSphere Client in order to press tab while booting...

The installation went true fine and welcomed me AGAIN with the migration page, but this time i could enter my adminitrator credentials and the setup went fine :smile:

Edited by Guest

The odd thing is:

I did not boot form the ISO. When i boot with "RUN", the installer starts all over again on every reboot.

If i boot with Install: 1st boot: the installer runs fine, 2nd boot: configuration (and access dsm) , 3rd boot: login to dsm

When i want to create a volume, i am able to see the drives, but the creation throws an error on the last step.

Maybee it's worth mentioning that i am trying to get it up and running on esxi 6.0u2 (which does not support hw version 12).

What worked for me:

- boot install from iso: install

- boot install from iso: configure and create a volume shr/ext4 (btrfs always failed)

i did install the new docker deamon. I guess i will stick with adding permanent shares from my xpe machine to this vm and avoid using physical harddisks for the time beeing..

Edited by Guest

The odd thing is:

I did not boot form the ISO. When i boot with "RUN", the installer starts all over again on every reboot.

If i boot with Install: 1st boot: the installer runs fine, 2nd boot: configuration (and access dsm) , 3rd boot: login to dsm

When i want to create a volume, i am able to see the drives, but the creation throws an error on the last step.

Maybee it's worth mentioning that i am trying to get it up and running on esxi 6.0u2 (which does not support hw version 12).

If you boot it with Run and find.synology.com is prompting you for installation, it means that it can't see the "DSM 6.vmdk" drive, which contains the installation of DSM.

I give up for now, tried to create a new vm on my esxi setup. After install using the pat file it says wait for reboot. Waited 15 minutes, nothing happens.

Tried both from vsphere and Web client, SCSI and SATA controllers, same for all. I'll try other things tomorrow if I have the time.

Thanks again for the files and explanations.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

wait for reboot. Waited 15 minutes, nothing happens

After the install, your VM will try to boot from the HD, but that's not where the boot is. You need to make it boot from the ISO every time. Moreover, DSM resets the BIOS, so you can't change the boot order in the BIOS (at least not in Workstation).

I had the iso on at all times, but after the install attempt I don't get the same screen asking for run or install. The screen is just black, nothing happens. Like I said, I'm going at it again later or tomorrow, if someone cares to help I'll start a TeamViewer session.

What I know for sure is I have to use the Web ui to create the vm, that's the only way to add sata disks. From vsphere I can only add SCSI and ide. Also I have to chose vm version 11 for the e1000e network adapter.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I had the iso on at all times, but after the install attempt I don't get the same screen asking for run or install. The screen is just black, nothing happens.

That's what I'm telling you. You don't just have to have the ISO in, you need to tell you VM to boot from it. The black screen you get is your VM trying to boot from the drive which has nothing to boot from...

here is the vm, just made it again

dsm6.jpg

I have no idea how to tell it to start from the iso after the install, I'll dig around... maybe to convert the iso to vmdk and then use it as a new hdd... at the moment I don't have something to quickly convert iso to vmdk.

Perhaps the last post from Lost ability to boot from ISO - ESXi 6.0

Ran into an issue booting to a DVD.

What I had to do was set the VM Options | Boot Options | Boot Delay to 5000 milliseconds. Mount your CD/DVD as you normally do.

Power on the VM, you'll see the Post BIOS screen, hit ESC to bring up the boot menu. Select CDROM. Then it booted from the DVD.

Going into the Setup BIOS screen as I have done in the past did not work. Also, the Boot Delay was set to 0 for this VM originally, so I never got to press ESC to get to the other boot menu.

Hope this helps someone.

boot ok on terminal, but no network card detected :wink:

Yep, that's what I'm referring to by

none of VB's NICs are supported.

As for

it is strange that it works for the installation, but not for the classic boot

it's because the Install part uses XPEnoboot, while the Run part is, mostly, unaltered Synology.

Perhaps the last post from Lost ability to boot from ISO - ESXi 6.0
Ran into an issue booting to a DVD.

What I had to do was set the VM Options | Boot Options | Boot Delay to 5000 milliseconds. Mount your CD/DVD as you normally do.

Power on the VM, you'll see the Post BIOS screen, hit ESC to bring up the boot menu. Select CDROM. Then it booted from the DVD.

Going into the Setup BIOS screen as I have done in the past did not work. Also, the Boot Delay was set to 0 for this VM originally, so I never got to press ESC to get to the other boot menu.

Hope this helps someone.

Using this I can chose to boot from iso, but it always goes to migrate page; I let it migrate 2 times (both options) and when it's finished and restarts it goes to migrate again.

@oktisme: I installed vmware player 12 and imported the vm. When i try to edit settings for the vm, i get following error when i click on the second harddrive "the parent of this virtual disk could not be openend." Maybee an existing vm can not be backuped on a machine and restored on another when snapshots are used? Its just a suspicion...

This is the reason why the harddisk wasn't found earlier.

Could you create another version where the installation hard disk does not use snapshots - prefereable created using hardware version 11.

You did a great job oktisme and it would be great if you would iron out the last tiny detail so everyone can use it easily :smile: