XPEnology Community

Baremetal Hp microserver Gen8 migration to VM ( promox/esxi)

erimotte

Hi there,

first of all, I hope I am not violating any rules, secondly big thanks to the guys running the forum, great job !

So, i have set up a xpenology bare-metal Hp microserver Gen 8 on few year ago, and all works fine. ( boot from sd card jun's mod)

Now, i want migrate this dsm 6.2.3 on a VM, my choice :Promox or Esxi is not fixed.

First question, Is it possible without to do a complete restore of my data ?

even if my data isn't  so big (750Go), what is the best way to do ?

Second question, for a home use, which solution to prefered :Esxi or Promox.(I plan to upgrade the processor G1610T to a VT-d compatible like Xeon E3-1265L v2)

thanks!

(rugby : allez les bleus)

• 4 months later...

I was hoping to click in to this thread and see that someone had said, "Yeah it can be done, and this is how you do it".

I have the same question although I am running 7.1 via TCRP on my Dell 9020 repurposed desktop. I was thinking that I would like to convert to Proxmox via the guide that was written by @phone guy . The only thing I could think of is to backup your current instance of Xpenology to an external drive using HyperBackup. Follow the guide to get Proxmox up and running and then do a restore from the new instance. Sounds logical but as always you never know the gotcha's until you get into it.

In theory, if all DSM data is all on separate drives, like you have drives 2, 3 and 4 all dedicated drives for dsm, if you installed proxmox, and successfully build a redpill loader, you should be able to pass thru those individual drives, insert them one at a time, and it (dsm7) should ask you to migrate them from your previous build. It would be like pulling the drives from a 918 DSM6 and putting them into a new 918 or 920 DSM7 or whatever.  I would always suggest backing up your data before anything, because you should, mistakes and bad things happen all the time. So backup to be safe.

But if you install proxmox, go thru the steps with a virtual 30gb drive in proxmox, make sure you got your loader working (network, any add-ons, etc), then you can remove the virtual 30gb test drive in proxmox, follow the steps to pass thru your data set drives inside proxmox (google it), when you power back up redpill inside proxmox it will see them (make sure they are in the right order to be safe, though it shouldn't matter but its easy to do, so do it anyway) and ask to migrate them... it should be fairly simple.

Good luck.

On 8/9/2022 at 12:32 PM, phone guy said:

In theory, if all DSM data is all on separate drives, like you have drives 2, 3 and 4 all dedicated drives for dsm, if you installed proxmox, and successfully build a redpill loader, you should be able to pass thru those individual drives, insert them one at a time, and it (dsm7) should ask you to migrate them from your previous build. It would be like pulling the drives from a 918 DSM6 and putting them into a new 918 or 920 DSM7 or whatever.  I would always suggest backing up your data before anything, because you should, mistakes and bad things happen all the time. So backup to be safe.

But if you install proxmox, go thru the steps with a virtual 30gb drive in proxmox, make sure you got your loader working (network, any add-ons, etc), then you can remove the virtual 30gb test drive in proxmox, follow the steps to pass thru your data set drives inside proxmox (google it), when you power back up redpill inside proxmox it will see them (make sure they are in the right order to be safe, though it shouldn't matter but its easy to do, so do it anyway) and ask to migrate them... it should be fairly simple.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info @phone guy

I presume by this I would have to remove the 3 drives that make up my SHR drive array today then........

Install a spare drive and then get Proxmox followed by TCRP followed by a generic Synology instance installed and running via your guide then.....

Start the process to install one new drive and complete the migration piece?

Just trying to get it clear in my head as to the high level steps as that makes it easier when doing the lower level steps.

Cheers

21 hours ago, Franks4fingers said:

Thanks for the info @phone guy

I presume by this I would have to remove the 3 drives that make up my SHR drive array today then........

Install a spare drive and then get Proxmox followed by TCRP followed by a generic Synology instance installed and running via your guide then.....

Start the process to install one new drive and complete the migration piece?

Just trying to get it clear in my head as to the high level steps as that makes it easier when doing the lower level steps.

Cheers

Well, I wouldn't say you physically need to remove them per se, you will need a boot drive to install and build you proxmox obviously. Then once you get a working proxmox, you build your redpill loader using whatever method you feel comfortable using, my guide is just the way I did it.. at that time I could not find a english guide, so I wrote one to help others. I pieced mine together from other language posts and videos. :) But once you get a proxmox up and running, then redpill up and running, at that point you can passthrough your individual disk to your dsm instance inside proxmox (google it or read thru the proxmox wiki or forums). You can either pass thru the disks or a sata controller or whatever you want, I personally pass thru a PCI HBA card, which gives me 8 sata ports and I get real smart data from the HDDs and everything. HBA cards flashed to IT mode can be had on eBay for about $50USD with cables (search ebay for HBA IT MODE)... mounting 8 HDDs is another matter but that's all up to you. :) if you pass the disks, as I understand it, you won't get smart data from the HDDs, which is why I used the HBA - but that's not the only way to do it. But either way WILL work in DSM just fine. edit: To be clear, you can pass all 3 disks at the same time (your SHR array), when you bootup redpill with the disks passed thru to DSM, dsm should see them as previously used in another dsm, and if the serial/model numbers are different (from your first dsm #1 to your new dsm #2) it will ask to migrate them to your new synology, if the serial/model numbers are the same it will either work or ask to repair them first and then work.

Anyway, at this point you should have a dedicated proxmox boot drive, a working redpill VM, so after you remove your 30gb virtual drive and pass your existing SHR disks to redpill/proxmox (while DSM VM is OFF obviously), when you boot up and log into you DSM, storage manager should see your drives and ask you to migrate them or re-assemble/repair them in to your current setup. Yeah, it shouldn't be too difficult.  BE SURE TO BACKUP YOUR DATA JUST IN CASE. Because bad things happen, period. If I can help, let me know. GOOD LUCK!

Edited by phone guy

• 1 year later...