XPEnology Community

XPenlogoy boot using GRUB instead of syslinux

twinkie

Hello,

I would like to get rid of USB by install XPenology into /boot directory on my Linux partition in nas server.

My config consist of dualboot UEFI installation on dedicated server with NAS NVR3 board.

I got 12 SATA connectors and connected 6HDD and 2SSD. On SSD i got dualboot Debian Linux and Windows 10 booting in UEFI GRUB.

Now I want to get rid of USB and have triple boot config for Debian, Windows 10 and XPEnology.

My idea was to transfer XPenology zImage from USB to /boot folder on debian SSD drive and update Grub accordingly, but GRUB expect initrd which I dont have for XPenology.

I tried to rewrite syslinux boot entry into GRUB as you can see below, but it does not work and even I can see new boot entry after grub-update I can't boot and only got black screen with XPenlogy not loading.

What is the problem in my GRUB config ?

SYSLINUX:

MENU LABEL XPEnology DSM 5.2-5644

KERNEL /zImage

APPEND root=/dev/md0 ihd_num=0 netif_num=4 syno_hw_version=DS3615xs sn=XXXXX mac1=XXXX mac2=X vid=0x0EA0 pid=0x2168 loglevel=0 vga=0x305

GRUB incorrect not working

menuentry "XPEnology DSM 5.2-5644" {

linux /boot/zImage root=/dev/md0 ihd_num=0 netif_num=4 syno_hw_version=XXXXX sn=XXXXX mac1=XXXXX mac2=XXXXX vid=0x0EA0 pid=0x2168 loglevel=0 vga=0x305

boot

}

• 2 months later...

Just use Grub4Dos!. why grub2?

1. make usb grub4dos with bootice. search bootice in google.

2. grub4dos bootloader is GRLDR. So located on usb root GRLDR file

3. make menu.lst with notepad.

like below.

default 0

timeout 0

title XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5644.iso

map --mem /XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5644.iso

4. put the XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5644.iso file to usb root.

5. done.

boot from usb.

No extracted ISO!!! . just simple.