XPEnology Community

Redpill Loader information thread

ed_co

On 3/7/2023 at 2:46 PM, asheenlevrai said:

I believe what he meant is that not all apps that used to work in DSM6 will work in DSM7.

Some of them reached EOL and others were replaced.

No offence, but I would prefer if @pocopico replies, as he is the one who knows what he exactly meant. I am concern on what he said here:

On 3/6/2023 at 4:34 PM, pocopico said:

Bear in mind though that some software and features stopped working on 7.x 

Could you please reply to this @pocopico? And maybe the other questions I asked in my previous reply too.

Thanks!!

• Like 1

On 3/14/2023 at 12:23 PM, ed_co said:

No offence, but I would prefer if @pocopico replies, as he is the one who knows what he exactly meant. I am concern on what he said here:

Could you please reply to this @pocopico? And maybe the other questions I asked in my previous reply too.

Thanks!!

As for the applcations, a lot of community applications the rely on root access are not working on DSM7 e.g. zerotier. Also some syno apps require activation from Syno e.g. codecs, active backup etc. Photos app for instance requires patching for face recognition to work and its still not working as intended (shared folder). Some other apps are depricated like moments and some other apps just work but in a different way e.g drive.

As for the rest of the questions i guess if you cannot  find a guide maybe you can create one and share it with the rest of the people.

Edited by pocopico

21 hours ago, pocopico said:

As for the applcations, a lot of community applications the rely on root access are not working on DSM7 e.g. zerotier. Also some syno apps require activation from Syno e.g. codecs, active backup etc. Photos app for instance requires patching for face recognition to work and its still not working as intended (shared folder). Some other apps are depricated like moments and some other apps just work but in a different way e.g drive.

Well, looks like nothing related with the Red Pill loader perse, but just for the change from DSM 6 to DSM 7. So I don't care. I pretty much use everything via Docker, and unless there is a problem with docker (I am using Plex, qBittorrent, jDownloader, MKVToolnix, Handbreak, etc...), then I am fine. Please @pocopico correct me if I am wrong.

21 hours ago, pocopico said:

As for the rest of the questions i guess if you cannot  find a guide maybe you can create one and share it with the rest of the people.

The reason I ask is because I will not be able to do it, as the reason I don't have DSM 7 installed already is because I have to fill that gap before installing it.

I know how to install, I just need to know how to update (in the two scenarios: painless or complex update). When I fill that gap I will install DSM 7 via Red Pill. @flyride are there any guides for both update scenarios? (or one of them at least?)

Thanks for your reply @pocopico

Edited by ed_co

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now that the DSM 7.2 is out, I guess the painful upgrade came. I mean is a major update.

I guess until now was the easy update (meaning, update directly from the DSM UI via OTA, or using a .pat file from there?).

Anyone can say what is the update procedure in this case?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2023 at 3:07 PM, ed_co said:

Now that the DSM 7.2 is out, I guess the painful upgrade came. I mean is a major update.

I guess until now was the easy update (meaning, update directly from the DSM UI via OTA, or using a .pat file from there?).

Anyone can say what is the update procedure in this case?

Im Just doing an upgrade from 7.1.0 to 7.2.0 on one of my home systems. Its not painless but its not that hard either. 

You download and burn the latest image on a new USB stick, keep you old settings (in user_config.json) and start from scratch using your old and last known working settings to build the new loader using you current DSM installed version as a base. 

Then once back to DSM, click manual upgrade using your downloaded PAT file and install to 7.2.0 and you should be back in operation in a couple of minutes. 

I will try to prepare a step-by-step guide soon.

Edited by pocopico

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/5/2023 at 10:46 AM, pocopico said:

You download and burn the latest image on a new USB stick, keep you old settings (in user_config.json) and start from scratch using your old and last known working settings to build the new loader using you current DSM installed version as a base. 

Should be great to have a mechanism to be able to update your USB stick without have to do the burning image process again and again, but just updating, once connected to internet.

On 6/5/2023 at 10:46 AM, pocopico said:

I will try to prepare a step-by-step guide soon.

That sounds great!!