XPEnology Community

DVA3221 loader development thread

On 4/14/2022 at 6:25 AM, SirNoish said:

Hello, I finally have the dva3221 working with the SurveillanceStation beta but I only get 2 licenses, shouldn't I get 8? or what does the number of licenses depend on? Thank you

00.jpg

0.jpg

On 4/14/2022 at 6:52 AM, msy999 said:

Replacing it with the dva3221 dedicated serial number shows 8.

Is there a serialgen for the dva3221 in rploader? and if so, I'm guessing it does NOT activate all 8 licenses?

On 4/16/2022 at 10:58 PM, tc2 said:

I had the same problem too initially. But I managed to get away with it by make sure it won't connect to the Internet when it initialize the setup.

Since this is a DVA3221 as stated as SynologyNVR, the initial setup would automatically create a SHR volume for you, and install the Surveillance Station immediately. And right at that step it checks your serial online if it's valid, if not like us it would give you a default 2 cam license only. By removing the ability to access the Internet for the initial setup, it will never checks again and you could download the Surveillance Station from Package Center and install upon.

So are you saying, after installing dsm (synoIP:5000) when it reboots, deny it internet access and wait and you will get the 8 licenses? am I following you?

Edited by phone guy

28 minutes ago, rok1 said:

Since 3622 doesn't have quicksync capabilities, can one run DVA3221 with a 1650 as a general nas and have plex hardware decoding? I don't need the surveillance features.

Honestly, the whole appeal of this build is the CCTV stuff.... I would think another build (918) would be a better choice if you have a 4th gen or newer intel cpu. But hey, thats just me ;)

6 minutes ago, phone guy said:

Honestly, the whole appeal of this build is the CCTV stuff.... I would think another build (918) would be a better choice if you have a 4th gen or newer intel cpu. But hey, thats just me ;)

I use a 10th gen i7 8c/16t, I'd like to keep all my cpu threads 😀

3 hours ago, rok1 said:

I use a 10th gen i7 8c/16t, I'd like to keep all my cpu threads 😀

3622 uses upto 24 so you're covered. ;)

edit: Dont get me wrong, I am not trying to talk you into or out of any build, just saying the whole idea of the dva unit as a whole is a NVR first and NAS second. Thats why they cost 5x as much. If the user not going to use surveillance station and specifically the AI of it, and is more interested in quicksync hw transcode for plex, other options are readily available in other threads. the 3622 uses upto 24 threads.

Edited by phone guy

On 4/19/2022 at 1:37 AM, phone guy said:

3622 uses upto 24 so you're covered. ;)

edit: Dont get me wrong, I am not trying to talk you into or out of any build, just saying the whole idea of the dva unit as a whole is a NVR first and NAS second. Thats why they cost 5x as much. If the user not going to use surveillance station and specifically the AI of it, and is more interested in quicksync hw transcode for plex, other options are readily available in other threads. the 3622 uses upto 24 threads.

Its to my knowledge though that even 3622 does not support quicksync either.

On 4/18/2022 at 6:44 PM, phone guy said:

So are you saying, after installing dsm (synoIP:5000) when it reboots, deny it internet access and wait and you will get the 8 licenses? am I following you?

Precisely. Deny access from the Internet as soon as the Welcome screen comes up. Once it has no Internet to access, it fails to use its DVA3221 serial key to send back Synology for validation. Once you pass the setup where it automatically creates volume and install the Surveillance Station, you will find it's got 8 license keys. Then you connect back to Internet and continue the 8 cam license.

• Thanks 1

On 4/25/2022 at 8:27 PM, merve04 said:

Its to my knowledge though that even 3622 does not support quicksync either.

That would be correct as the genuine DS3622xs+ uses a Xeon D-1531 cpu (LINK TO SPECS) which has no embedded gpu, which is required for hw transcode (Link to Xeon D1531 specs). Realize this model is considered a top tier device with Enterprise users as target audience, not plex streamers.

For hw transcoding you would need to build DS918+ (apollolake) or DS920+ (geminilake) as these devices use intel cpu with integrated gpu with home users as a target audience, so hw transcoding is available on these builds providing your system has comparable cpu with integrated gpu and drivers are appropriately added (they should be during build).  Good luck.

On 4/26/2022 at 3:26 AM, tc2 said:

Precisely. Deny access from the Internet as soon as the Welcome screen comes up. Once it has no Internet to access, it fails to use its DVA3221 serial key to send back Synology for validation. Once you pass the setup where it automatically creates volume and install the Surveillance Station, you will find it's got 8 license keys. Then you connect back to Internet and continue the 8 cam license.

I find this strange, i used TC and did a test run building a dva3221 loader using the serial generator provided by RP, and i had 8 licenses no problem and never blocked the internet from the device. I have decided to stay on my 918 build on 6.2.3 for now as theres no work around to get hw transcoding to work with this loader or an ability to run more than 2 cameras in dsm7 with 918\920 loaders

On 3/31/2022 at 4:37 PM, pocopico said:

A new loader introduction is not a very difficult process (but is a very time consuming one). The issue comes when you need to create all the required supporting SW. So without a good reason to justify the workload, i wouldnt start a new loader. 

On top of the existing platforms (DS918+, DS3615xs and DS3617xs) People added few more for their own reason.

For instance

- DS1621+ is a perfect match for people with AMD cpus

- DS2422+ is a good match for people with AMD cpus with larger data sets

- DS3622xs+ is perfect for people with larger setups (Fibre channel provisioning etc. ) and a perfect upgrade path for DS3615xs/17xs

- DS920+ is a good match for those that want to migrate from DS918+ 

- RS4021xs+ is a good match for people with enterprise storage needs.

- DVA3221 is a perfect match for people wanting AI and more SS cams needs

- FS6400 is for people with all flash storage needs

So since my part of the work requires a lot of compilation/testing and maintenance and that is only for some NOT all of the platforms currently released, i would like to keep a smaller scope and only introduce a new platform when it makes sense.

So the question @ultra , is what benefits will this new platform bring to the community.

Thank for your reply.I have a nas,the cpu is N3150,so I want to build a suitable loader.Is there a dev complete guide about how to support a new platform?Thank u very much. @pocopico

25 minutes ago, ultra said:

Thank for your reply.I have a nas,the cpu is N3150,so I want to build a suitable loader.Is there a dev complete guide about how to support a new platform?Thank u very much. @pocopico

Sorry there is no step by step guide. You have to go through the TTG Redpill repo documentation 

On 4/19/2022 at 8:40 AM, rok1 said:

Since 3622 doesn't have quicksync capabilities, can one run DVA3221 with a 1650 as a general nas and have plex hardware decoding? I don't need the surveillance features.

You should use proxmox, Make 2 VM, First VM should be DSM with drives and second VM should have NVIDIA GPU with plain ubuntu server. You want media so just NFS share it should good to go.

Yes it possible, I use hardware transcoding on my i7-4770. Just need to enable integrated graphics in BIOS. Only work on DS918+ and DS920+ loader, if it work you should have a /dev/dri folder

edit:

I just saw that you are using the DVA3221 loader, unfortunately it won’t work

Edited by Ylamarche5382

21 минуту назад, Ylamarche5382 сказал:

Yes it possible, I use hardware transcoding on my i7-4770. Just need to enable integrated graphics in BIOS. Only work on DS918+ and DS920+ loader, if it work you should have a /dev/dri folder

edit:

I just saw that you are using the DVA3221 loader, unfortunately it won’t work

that is, with the bootloader 920+, face recognition using integrated graphics will work?

Edited by lev22885

2 минуты назад, Ylamarche5382 сказал:

it depends on which features you want, only dva3221 loader supports deep learning and GPU but yes the DS920+ supports facial recognition

Thanks for the answer. Will the 920+ bootloader be different from the ds3615x? And then at the moment there is a bootloader 3615

3 минуты назад, Ylamarche5382 сказал:

it depends on which features you want, only dva3221 loader supports deep learning and GPU but yes the DS920+ supports facial recognition

And I would like to ask. What is "deep learning" for?

1 час назад, Ylamarche5382 сказал:

Deep Learning is for cameras (Surveillance Station) I think

Well, I just need to connect cameras to this software. Then I understand that the functions of surveillance, face recognition will not work?