XPEnology Community

DVA3221 loader development thread

1 hour ago, ultra said:

Great jobs.I want to make a loader ds716+,can u tell me how to make a new loader?Thank u very much

Not related to this thread create a new thread.

Loaders are not generally created in request and probably never for smaller models, just build a DS920.

3 hours ago, ultra said:

Great jobs.I want to make a loader ds716+,can u tell me how to make a new loader?Thank u very much

A new loader introduction is not a very difficult process (but is a very time consuming one). The issue comes when you need to create all the required supporting SW. So without a good reason to justify the workload, i wouldnt start a new loader. 

On top of the existing platforms (DS918+, DS3615xs and DS3617xs) People added few more for their own reason.

For instance

- DS1621+ is a perfect match for people with AMD cpus

- DS2422+ is a good match for people with AMD cpus with larger data sets

- DS3622xs+ is perfect for people with larger setups (Fibre channel provisioning etc. ) and a perfect upgrade path for DS3615xs/17xs

- DS920+ is a good match for those that want to migrate from DS918+ 

- RS4021xs+ is a good match for people with enterprise storage needs.

- DVA3221 is a perfect match for people wanting AI and more SS cams needs

- FS6400 is for people with all flash storage needs

So since my part of the work requires a lot of compilation/testing and maintenance and that is only for some NOT all of the platforms currently released, i would like to keep a smaller scope and only introduce a new platform when it makes sense.

So the question @ultra , is what benefits will this new platform bring to the community.

Edited by pocopico
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, spv4u1975 said:

I didn't attempt any of the fixes advised above as they didn't exist so every was as per original install of pat file.

I tried swapping out the card with a build that recognized the 750i card and got the error. Made a fresh new build and still have the error.  The current .4.6 image file does not load the correct Custom_config,jason file.  It loads a March 9th file that does not have the DVA build included.  If I replace the Custom_config file from @pocopico repository (which includes the DVA build) onto my USB before I compile the machine runs but gets the "Unkown error" for the card.  If I then put the 750i card back in it is recognized.  I am wondering if there is anything else that is not included in this build that I should add.

What brand of card did you get?  Is it DDR5 or DDR6 memory?

Thanks.

5 hours ago, PaulEvo said:

I am using an Asus GTX1650 in this build

I have the ASUS TUF DDR6, is that the one you have?

5 hours ago, PaulEvo said:

For instance you could test it on a Windows machine.

Tried in another windows machine and works fine.

1 hour ago, spv4u1975 said:

Random thought has the machine you are using got enough power?

I thought that as well but I have a 750W PSU for this card and one drive.

I also tried a different PCIe slot.  As @Peter Suhoutlined in his port mapping tests my PCIe slot is muxed with USB ports so I moved it to slot 3 same problem.

I have tried multiple new builds with both 0.4.6 images on fresh HDDs same result.

*****When any of you compiled your code did you have to replace the Custom_config.json file?****

When I download the 0.4.6 image from @pocopicorepository my USB is populated with and old Custom_config.json file and I have to download the newer version from the repository that has the denverton build included, otherwise I get parse errors trying to compile the build.  If not where are you getting your image?

Thanks - this is really strange.

On 3/29/2022 at 10:48 PM, pocopico said:

For anyone with a test DVA3221, i have tested succesfully the TCRP two stage upgrade to 7.1.0-42621.

Please proceed with caution and only on test systems.

The process is :

- Manual upgrade using DSM to 7.1 RC
- On reboot, select to boot tinycore redpill
- While on TCRP run the following

./rploader.sh update now
./rploader.sh backuploader now
./rploader.sh download 
./rploader.sh download denverton-7.0.1-42218
./rploader.sh postupdate denverton-7.0.1-42218

Fix the acpi systemd issue otherwise DSM will shutdown on access

./rploader.sh mountdsmroot now

sed -i 's/^acpi-cpufreq/# acpi-cpufreq/g' /mnt/dsmroot/usr/lib/modules-load.d/70-cpufreq-kernel.conf && cat /mnt/dsmroot/usr/lib/modules-load.d/70-cpufreq-kernel.conf

for people NOT having an NVIDIA card the following sould also be performed otherwise DSM will shutdown on access

Remove both lines on :  /mnt/dsmroot/usr/lib/modules-load.d/70-syno-nvidia-gpu.conf

I get some errors on this one when I just run those lines.  Something along the lines of the acpi recipe is not in the index.  Since I was in proxmox, I restored to 42218.  I'll wait for another brave soul.

Thanks.

Edited by calimansi

I sucessfully got a DVA3221 loader working, tested a few cameras all is good even with no presence of a nvidia card installed. I setup plex, i do have plexpass, but when i force a video in transcoding, im not getting hw and cpu usage is through the roof of course. Does this model not support it?

Anybody running with a 1650 card could you please let me know your card model and memory information (thanks spv4u1975 for your specifics).  I want to get a different card and want to make sure it is not a specific component/type of card since cards are limited in availability  Mine is an overclocked edition:

MFG: ASUS

Model: TUF GTX 1650 04GD6

Memory DDR6

Thanks for any help.

My bare metal install process  (Is yours the same?  I am having video card issues and want to verify everything else I am doing is correct):

Download image 0.4.6 from @pocopico repository GitHub - https://github.com/pocopico/tinycore-redpill

unzip and rufus to USB

boot target machine in TC

run winscp and connect to target machine

replace custom_config.json dated March 9th with current version in repository (otherwise March 9th version does not have denverton build info & I get parse errors trying to build) 

enter Putty and run:

sudo ./rploader.sh update now

sudo ./rploader.sh serialgen DVA3221 now

sudo ./rploader.sh satamap now

sudo ./rploader.sh identifyusb now

sudo ./rploader.sh build denverton-7.0.1-42218

copy pat file from usb and reboot

***************Is everyone manually replacing the custom_config.json file?***********************

Thanks for any help.

21 minutes ago, Carl10 said:

My bare metal install process  (Is yours the same?  I am having video card issues and want to verify everything else I am doing is correct):

Download image 0.4.6 from @pocopico repository GitHub - https://github.com/pocopico/tinycore-redpill

unzip and rufus to USB

boot target machine in TC

run winscp and connect to target machine

replace custom_config.json dated March 9th with current version in repository (otherwise March 9th version does not have denverton build info & I get parse errors trying to build) 

enter Putty and run:

sudo ./rploader.sh update now

sudo ./rploader.sh serialgen DVA3221 now

sudo ./rploader.sh satamap now

sudo ./rploader.sh identifyusb now

sudo ./rploader.sh build denverton-7.0.1-42218

copy pat file from usb and reboot

***************Is everyone manually replacing the custom_config.json file?***********************

Thanks for any help.

Do not use "sudo" @pocopico has advised me,

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/53817-redpill-tinycore-loader/?do=findComment&comment=272911

2 hours ago, cferra said:

Are you using efi or Legacy,

I have tried both as my system can handle either

1 hour ago, MajkelP said:

Do not use "sudo" @pocopico has advised me,

Interesting that was dropped from original instructions, it eliminated the parse errors but still get the error: platform not found. Which would be expected as denverton  is not included in the custom_config.json file from the image.  Replacing that file with the version from the repository, the build completes.

Is everyone replacing that file?

2 hours ago, Carl10 said:

You can now use the ./rploader.sh fullupgrade now (its an undocumented option, i wanted to test it first, that will bring over all required files from repo) 

Also please do not run rploader.sh with sudo otherwise you will be facing issues with permissions. The script is designed to run with user tc. Also several processes like tce-load  that will be used in case its needed by the script will fail. 

Edited by pocopico

52 minutes ago, pocopico said:

You can now use the ./rploader.sh fullupgrade now

Thanks @pocopico that solved the custom_config.json file issue. For clarification I had to run ./rploader.sh update now first for that to work, then everything was updated on the USB.

I am trying to solve my GPU issue on this DVA build which requires a GTX 1650 video card.  Inside DSM my GPU is listed as "unkown error" .  When I run the build I get:

Found VGA Controller : pciid 10ded00001f0a  Required Extension :
No matching extension

I have gotten that message on the DS builds as well, but no video card is expected.  My MSI X99S SLI Plus MB does not have integrated graphics and don't know if I need an extension since this build seems to load the required nvidia library.

2022-03-30T20:13:29-05:00 DSM7 synocheckuser[7074]: synocheckuser.c:1116 check user data finished
2022-03-30T20:13:31-05:00 DSM7 kernel: [   36.956256] NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  440.44  Sun Dec  8 03:38:56 UTC 2019
2022-03-30T20:13:32-05:00 DSM7 synonetseqadj[7190]: synonetseqadj.c:421 Error internal NIC devices 1 does not equal to internal NIC number 4
2022-03-30T20:13:37-05:00 DSM7 kernel: [   38.069386] Get empty minor:104

Any advice would be appreciated.

On 3/30/2022 at 1:48 AM, pocopico said:

For anyone with a test DVA3221, i have tested succesfully the TCRP two stage upgrade to 7.1.0-42621.

I have tried the update and am not getting the ./rploader.sh mountdsmroot now to execute correctly.  I applied it after the postupdate and recived a permission denied error.  I then tried it before the post update and did not see any errors but it shuts down on access.

I've seen comments that others like @PaulEvo have upgraded successfully.  If anyone that has upgraded if you could clarify where and how the ./rploader.sh mountdsmroot now instruction should be executed I would appreciate the help.

Video Card Update:

I have replaced my original ASUS GTX 1650 card with this card:

image.thumb.png.f03255d863316375ea2bde924031a548.png

This is a picture from a review done of DVA3221 by NASCompares.  So I bought the ASUS version of this card and it was recognized right away.  There are 4 or 5 different ASUS versions of this card at my local store so I wanted to share what Synology uses and what worked for me. The differences I could find between the two cards is:

ASUS TUF GTX 1650 (card did not work in my build with MSI X99S SLI Plus MB.  Card provided video for TC on MSI MB and worked in another windows machine)

-DDR6 Memory

-External 6 pin power required

ASUS Pheonix GTX 1650 (similar to picture) - Worked right away

-DDR5 memory

-Bus powered (no external supply required)

I post this to help anyone looking for a card.  I only received feedback from two people that have running cards and they both appeared to be bus powered cards as well. One for sure had DDR5 memory. 

• Like 3

On 3/30/2022 at 1:48 AM, pocopico said:

Please proceed with caution and only on test systems.

The process is :

- Manual upgrade using DSM to 7.1 RC
- On reboot, select to boot tinycore redpill
- While on TCRP run the following

./rploader.sh update now
./rploader.sh backuploader now
./rploader.sh download 
./rploader.sh download denverton-7.0.1-42218
./rploader.sh postupdate denverton-7.0.1-42218

Fix the acpi systemd issue otherwise DSM will shutdown on access

./rploader.sh mountdsmroot now

sed -i 's/^acpi-cpufreq/# acpi-cpufreq/g' /mnt/dsmroot/usr/lib/modules-load.d/70-cpufreq-kernel.conf && cat /mnt/dsmroot/usr/lib/modules-load.d/70-cpufreq-kernel.conf

After several failed attempts at this upgrade I wanted to provide my test results. I successfully proceed through all the steps including ./rploader.sh postupdate denverton-7.0.1-42218.  When I apply the fix I get one of two errors as so shown below 1) No such file or directory or 2) Permission denied.  Any help would be appreciated.

Unmounting dsmroot ->
OK !!!
Done, closing
tc@box:~$ ./rploader.sh mountdsmroot now
Succesfully mounted under /mnt/dsmroot
Checking if patch version exists
Patch directory exists
DSM Root holds a patch version 7.1-42621-0
tc@box:~$ sed -i 's/^acpi-cpufreq/# acpi-cpufreq/g' /mnt/dsmroot/usr/lib/modules
-load.d/70-cpufreq-kernel.conf && cat /mnt/dsmroot/usr/lib/modules-load.d/70-cpu
freq-kernel.conf
sed: can't read /mnt/dsmroot/usr/lib/modules-load.d/70-cpufreq-kernel.conf: No s
uch file or directory

Unmounting dsmroot ->
OK !!!
Done, closing
Patch directory exists
tc@box:~$ sed -i 's/^acpi-cpufreq/# acpi-cpufreq/g' /mnt/dsmroot/usr/lib/modules
-load.d/70-cpufreq-kernel.conf && cat /mnt/dsmroot/usr/lib/modules-load.d/70-cpu
freq-kernel.conf
sed: couldn't open temporary file /mnt/dsmroot/usr/lib/modules-load.d/sed4wvTqh:
Permission denied
tc@box:~$

54 minutes ago, pocopico said:

You just have to run sed line with SUDO 

Thanks @pocopico I added sudo and it appears to complete as shown but the build still powers down on access

Done, closing
Patch directory exists
tc@box:~$ sudo sed -i 's/^acpi-cpufreq/# acpi-cpufreq/g' /mnt/dsmroot/usr/lib/mo
dules-load.d/70-cpufreq-kernel.conf && cat /mnt/dsmroot/usr/lib/modules-load.d/7
0-cpufreq-kernel.conf
cpufreq_stats
processor
# acpi-cpufreq
cpufreq_performance
cpufreq_powersave
tc@box:~$