XPEnology Community

HP ProLiant Microserver N54L-Install XPEnology

Well the 54l been up for a few days now and working great thanks to all your help.

I have just copied all my data from my Qnap to it and have now have installed Plex onto it to see how it goes.

I can no let me MAC go to sleep and rest :smile: whilst the 54l does all the work.

A couple of questions thou which you may be able to answer please

1. I tried the option to put the synology to sleep and then wake back up. It went to sleep but didn't wake so I presume it cannot do that on the 54l?

2. The qnap logs me out of its web setup after a period of time of not using it but the synology has kept me logged in since Sunday which I find not very secure. Other than logging of manually should it auto log off?

3. Is there a way to have the qnap and synology automatically mirror one another. I have tried the rsync but I had to manually start that off.

Thanks for your help.

1. I tried the option to put the synology to sleep and then wake back up. It went to sleep but didn't wake so I presume it cannot do that on the 54l?

To get WOL to work, you'll need to edit some hex values, and assign your 'true' machine MAC address, rather than the spoofed one that the XPEnology image is loading by default.

Follow instructions here: http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1353

Alternatively you could install "Advanced Power Manager" as suggested by DHD here: http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1789 -- this is what I'm using, and it's working without issues.

2. The qnap logs me out of its web setup after a period of time of not using it but the synology has kept me logged in since Sunday which I find not very secure. Other than logging of manually should it auto log off?

Login to your web interface, "Control Panel" - "DSM Settings" - "Security" tab - Change logout timer.

3. Is there a way to have the qnap and synology automatically mirror one another. I have tried the rsync but I had to manually start that off.

Use rsync together with cron. Here's a guide.

Thank you Emilk,

I have just installed the APM and tried it out but it didn't shut the device down.

Do I need to be running a different BIOS other than the hp one or are there any configuration changes I need to make.

I have tried searching around but only find other people with a similar problem.

thanks

DAve

APM works fine on my N54l with no BIOS changes needed. I've got mine configures as follows:

Shutdown will happen only upon network inactivity (threshold of 2 MB per 5 min).

Shutdown will happen only upon disk inactivity (threshold of 2 MB per 5 min).

Expected wake up time is 'Monday, 2013/12/16 16:00:00'.

Expected shut down time is 'Sunday, 2013/12/15 23:00:00'.

The latter two are day dependant (wake up at 4pm and shutdown at 10.30 weekdays, noon and 11pm on weekends). The network and disk checks mean that it stays awake after those times if I'm streaming from it.

I just tried to change the MTU value on both of my network cards and I also get an error message and the value stays at 1500.

Is your Xpenology install using the actual MACs of the NICs or the default ones from the vender file?

I modified the system file to add the N54L MAC adress. But same result.

It's like the write access was not avaliable.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

N54L been running great thanks to all your help.

I see there is now and update 4 available to 4.3 but when I use the DSM update it appears to download it then when I click on update is states it can take about 20 mins.

Min takes about 2 but doesn't update.

Now my USB is set to write protect, could this be the problem or is it not using the USB and writing to the disks?

Any help most appreciated.

• 2 months later...
Hi,

To can use the full 4 bays capacity, is it possible to install Xpenology OS on the internal USB stick of this microserver?

Thanks.

Yes, that's exactly what I do.

Thenn now is it possible? Because a time ago I read that OS needs to be at the same data disk, taking a little bit space or will corrupt the boot.

Thanks.

Just take Trantor's image, write it to a USB stick using the method specified in his notes. Plug the stick into the N54L USB header on the motherboard and turn it on.

Then use Synology assistant to install the PAT file in trantor's release and you're done.

Thanks Andy.

But i have looking trantor's image and the v1.2 hasnt .img format, is vdmk. Or you have used another image?

Thanks again.

You're looking at the wrong download.

You want this -> http://xpenology.trantor.be/

DSM4.3 3810

The archive file contains a .img file (which you burn to the USB stick that you will boot from) and a .pat file which you will select in Synology Assistant as part on the DSM install process.

Be warned though that this version of DSM has a security vulnerability so don't connect it to the internet until you patch it.

Vuln + patching instructions viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2049

Trantor has a DSM 5.0 beta also, in the "Releases" section of this forum. Up to you which one you want to install.

Hi,

To can use the full 4 bays capacity, is it possible to install Xpenology OS on the internal USB stick of this microserver?

Thanks.

No, this is not possible. DSM is installed on ALL drives in the server, thus taking a little space on each disk. DSM is mirroring itself to all disks - nothing you can do about it.