XPEnology Community

Help when migrating my old 2 old hdds from 5.2.xxxxx

PerilOz

I have set up a newer NAS working and running with DSM_DS3615xs_23739. Now I tried to migrate my two old hdds from my old custom built running 5.2.something.
Connected and choose "Migrate" with Synology Assistant, clicked manual and choose the DSM_DS3615xs_23739.pat file. After reboot the system won't startup anymore. Any suggestions? 
Tried reboot a couple times but nothing...
Also tried choosing "reinstall" option with bootloader and then I found the diskstation again with "Migrate" option. Did same procedure but no good this time either.

Tried to search around other posts but didn't find any solution

Thankful for all help

1 hour ago, PerilOz said:

Connected and choose "Migrate" with Synology Assistant, clicked manual and choose the DSM_DS3615xs_23739.pat file. After reboot the system won't startup anymore. Any suggestions? 

how do you determine that?

was ssh or telnet enabled before the update?

there is a condition where a 5.2 to 6.2 goes wrong

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/26723-network-down-after-dsm-login/?do=findComment&comment=137953

might prevent web interface to come up and i'm not sure what will be seen in synology assistant

check the ip address with a continuous ping on booting

if you can ping it then it might be the condition above

even without ssh/telnet access you could still boot a live linux and delete the folder in question

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7004-tutorial-how-to-access-dsms-data-system-partitions/

14 hours ago, IG-88 said:

how do you determine that?

was ssh or telnet enabled before the update?

there is a condition where a 5.2 to 6.2 goes wrong

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/26723-network-down-after-dsm-login/?do=findComment&comment=137953

might prevent web interface to come up and i'm not sure what will be seen in synology assistant

check the ip address with a continuous ping on booting

if you can ping it then it might be the condition above

even without ssh/telnet access you could still boot a live linux and delete the folder in question

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7004-tutorial-how-to-access-dsms-data-system-partitions/

Big thanks for the reply!

But no, I can't ping the diskstation after reboot in normal mode. Only if I choose "reinstall" mode in loader menu. So this shouldn't be the issue right?
Or do I need to check this although? 

4 hours ago, PerilOz said:

Big thanks for the reply!

But no, I can't ping the diskstation after reboot in normal mode. Only if I choose "reinstall" mode in loader menu. So this shouldn't be the issue right?

When I had this problem (network down), I could log in to the DSM desktop but all the packages stopped - including ssh. So it doesn't sound like the problem to me.

But you DO need to delete the folder anyway or this problem will happen to you as soon as you get a system up.

4 hours ago, PerilOz said:

using reinstall only add's a kernel parameter "mfg", must be synology specific and afair it will reset the config to factory defaults

so the config of your old install might be already gone, check for new dhcp addresses in you network if you have not done this already

atm i'm not sure whats going on with your system but if you get a usb and a single empty disk working you could make use of that

install as you already did with a clean installation (1st disk, dont create a data volume), shutdown, add you old disks and start again, the new install from the 1st disk should start up and find the data volume of your old disks and should offer to repair the system partitions of your old disks, after that you could shutdown and remove the added disks from the fresh install, the system is now on you old disks too (dsm system is a raid1 over all disks)

downside is you will definitely you the old config and keep only the data on the old disks, no old user, shares

that way also gets around the old folder i mentioned above as its completely  overwrites the old dsm system partitions

(if you already lost your old config with reinstall option - you might check if i'm right about that - then you dont loose more then you already have with this method)

that is also one (not the best) way of downgrading to a older dsm version like here

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12778-tutorial-how-to-downgrade-from-62-to-61-recovering-a-bricked-system/

that way you force the dsm system of the single disk to the other disks (and keep the data volumes aka raid sets of the old disks), does not mater what version there is on the old disks, you use the single disk as master for the raid1 of the dsm system and extend that raid1 set to the old disks, overwriting the 1st partition (2.4GB) with the one from the new disk and removing the new disk after that does not cause problems as the new system is now on the old disks too and dsm can handle the "loss" of the "helper disk", worst case will be a message about a missing drive that can be repaired and will not occur after this

imho thats the most fail safe way of getting your system up and running without knowing exactly whats going on

(its possible to monitor the boot process by using the serial port of the dsm system, a nullmodem calbe and a terminal like putty, but thats usually hard to handle by most people

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 1