XPEnology Community

RS818RP+ DSM USB DOM Recovery

jinoclx

Hi, I currently have an RS818RP+ that has a broken USB DOM. When I plug the broken USB DOM into a USB header on my PC motherboard, it shows as "2268 PRAM USB Device", when it should be "Synology Diskstation USB Device", so I'm quite sure it's borked.

I was wondering I could recreate the USB DOM for my RS818RP+, so that it restores its full functionality. I have a broken DS1515+ that I could not find the problem to, so I can take the USB DOM off of that motherboard and place it in my RS818RP+.

So far I have successfully mounted all the partitions and can see all the files. I'm just stuck on which files I should replace and modify to add my device's serial number and MAC address.

Anyone have experience with this stuff? I would greatly appreciate the help. 

On 3/8/2022 at 2:18 AM, jinoclx said:

I have a broken DS1515+ that I could not find the problem to, so I can take the USB DOM off of that motherboard and place it in my RS818RP+.

might be a faulty cpu (intel did this)

https://www.servethehome.com/intel-atom-c2000-series-bug-quiet/

https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/1/post/123813

you would need a copy (image) the the original module

original modules have usb vid/pid f400/f400

in theory you could use the 1515+ module as a replacement as it fits that requirement (but you should make a copy of the 1515+ module too, just in case you might need it again)

its also possible to mod a usb flash drive with the right tool to have a different usb vid/pid, but that can be difficult

Hi! Sorry it's been a while.

I can confirm that the problem was the DOM module. I have replaced the files in the DOM with files from Synology's firmware package. And it boots properly and works mostly like normal. 

The last problem I have right now is the SATA port mapping. I've read a few forum posts regarding this and tried a few combinations but they don't seem to work. So far my config is "DiskIdxMap=00006". The first 2 bays are properly configured with the correct ata1, ata2, sda and sdb, but for some reason bay 3&4 are switched. For example, in the DSM menu when the drive is physically in bay 3, it shows that it is in bay 4, this behavior is the same with the LEDs on the front panel. They may be configured like this, based on what I'm seeing in the console boot log:

bay 1: sda ; ata1
bay 2: sdb ; ata2
bay 3: sdd ; ata6
bay 4: sdc ; ata5

Seems like the first controller is for bay 1&2 only and bay 3&4 have a separate one, but in reverse. I've tried adding the "DriveSeqReverse" parameter but it did not work (DriveSeqReverse=02), although I'm not sure I did it correctly. I noticed that "sata_remap" may work but I've tried that with no luck (sata_remap=5>2:4>3) Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by jinoclx

On 3/11/2022 at 4:35 AM, IG-88 said:

might be a faulty cpu (intel did this)

https://www.servethehome.com/intel-atom-c2000-series-bug-quiet/

https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/1/post/123813

you would need a copy (image) the the original module

original modules have usb vid/pid f400/f400

in theory you could use the 1515+ module as a replacement as it fits that requirement (but you should make a copy of the 1515+ module too, just in case you might need it again)

its also possible to mod a usb flash drive with the right tool to have a different usb vid/pid, but that can be difficult

Thanks for the help, by the way! I'm assuming you're referring to the DS1515+? At first I thought that it was the C2000 bug but soldering the resistor did not help at all. The unit would not boot at all. I might com back to it after fixing this RS818RP+

I did make an image backup of the USBs so I think that should be fine. I might try buying a USB dom and modifying it so I could put the USB DOM back into the DS1515+.

10 hours ago, jinoclx said:

At first I thought that it was the C2000 bug but soldering the resistor did not help at all. The unit would not boot at all.

the resistor mod  is meant fr systems still not (yet) affected

it might help on some systems to come up again but if it occurs the damage already done can't be undone with the mod, it can only prevent/slow down further damage

you can try to rule out other problems like psu/ram

(if there is a vga present connect a monitor and if nor you can still try the serial port with a nullmodem cable (loader still needs to work for that) to check if there is anything coming up