XPEnology Community

best image to use for 9th gen intel setup.

chickey

Question

I have a i5-9500t so 6 cores but not HT so debating what is the best image to use so i am not wasting processor power as the image doesn't support enough cores.  I use plex so the hardware decoding would be really handy.  I'll be running 4 to 8 disks and have 4 onboard ports and will add an additional 4 port pcie sata card when required.  The board has a nvme slot but not too fussed on using that for cache as there is only one slot and you have to have separate read/write cache as i understand.

Can the 918+ image support 6 cores? i read it was 8 threads but not sure if they can all be physical cores.  I have ran the DS3266xs image successfully and i saw the instructions for merging in the i915 quicksync support but wondered what others are running or what opinions were.

Thanks

Col

7 answers to this question

2 hours ago, chickey said:

I think based on the above i may be best just going for 918+ and taking the hit on losing two cores if that is the case.

i5-9500t only has 6 cores and no HT, so its within the 8 max of 918+, you loose nothing and its 0x3e92 iGPU is supported by dsm i915 driver, the only thing to do is to copy the firmware files for i915 when using 7.0

there is no "extension" for redpill loader to take care of that, synology only has the firmware files needed for its own hardware in dsm *.pat file (but the driver is not limited in any way, if the right firmware is present then it will work with all hardware thats supported by the driver)

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 1

Each core and HT are individual threads.  918+ is intended to support 4 cores with HT.  If you wanted more than that the current option is DS3617xs which does not include any kernel hooks for QuickSync.

There aren't any really good options (yet) for supporting more than this along with QuickSync, but DS3622xs+ may be emerging as the way forward.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, flyride said:

Each core and HT are individual threads.  918+ is intended to support 4 cores with HT.  If you wanted more than that the current option is DS3617xs which does not include any kernel hooks for QuickSync.

There aren't any really good options (yet) for supporting more than this along with QuickSync, but DS3622xs+ may be emerging as the way forward.

Thanks, that was my issue. I had wondered if it supported 4 cores with HT then it supports 8 CPU'S/threads as it where.  So if i use a 6 core chip without HT i'm still 2 below the limit.  Wasn't sure if it worked that way though which is why i thought i'd ask.  I have an image with DS3622xs+ working so maybe i should follow IG88's instructions for getting i915 quicksync support going in it.

1 hour ago, chickey said:

I have an image with DS3622xs+ working so maybe i should follow IG88's instructions for getting i915 quicksync support going in it.

no, the single i915.ko for 7.0 is for 918+ as this has i915 drivers and i915.ko is just one file where the device id's are handled, i915 support is more then one file because of the module dependencies

jun's newer 918+ support in loader 1.04b had the following files "agpgart intel-gtt intel-agp drm cfbfillrect cfbimgblt cfbcopyarea sysfillrect sysimgblt syscopyarea fb_sys_fops fb drm_kms_helper i915" and when looking into 915.ko itself (like with modinfo) there are dependencies for that module alone "drm_kms_helper,drm,iosf_mbi,backlight,video,fb,button,i2c-algo-bit"

its not clear if its possible to add the i915 driver support by just loading the right modules, with 3615/17 and synologys kernel it did not work (even kernel 3.10 had i915 drivers, old but might have worked with older cpu's) the kernel from synology had parts missing needed for i915 driver, some drivers need parts in the kernel activated to load the related modules, most common example for dsm is hyper-v support

12 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

no, the single i915.ko for 7.0 is for 918+ as this has i915 drivers and i915.ko is just one file where the device id's are handled, i915 support is more then one file because of the module dependencies

jun's newer 918+ support in loader 1.04b had the following files "agpgart intel-gtt intel-agp drm cfbfillrect cfbimgblt cfbcopyarea sysfillrect sysimgblt syscopyarea fb_sys_fops fb drm_kms_helper i915" and when looking into 915.ko itself (like with modinfo) there are dependencies for that module alone "drm_kms_helper,drm,iosf_mbi,backlight,video,fb,button,i2c-algo-bit"

its not clear if its possible to add the i915 driver support by just loading the right modules, with 3615/17 and synologys kernel it did not work (even kernel 3.10 had i915 drivers, old but might have worked with older cpu's) the kernel from synology had parts missing needed for i915 driver, some drivers need parts in the kernel activated to load the related modules, most common example for dsm is hyper-v support

Sorry i misread your post in the 3622xs thread.  I know it wasn't a case of dropping in the one file but i thought that was advice on getting it working.  Maybe instructions wasn't the right term.  I think based on the above i may be best just going for 918+ and taking the hit on losing two cores if that is the case.