XPEnology Community

storage pool drive number incorrect

dannieboiz

When I rolled this out I had to configure the assignment of the sataport, everything is working but my drive numbers are incorrect. I have drives in bay 1-9 of the 12 bay but it's being labeled as the attached image skipping drive 5 and 6. Although it works I think I should fix this now since it'll be an issue down the road when I have to replace disks. I'm running on a ReadyNAS 4200v2. 

Is this something I can resolve on the fly or would I need to blow it out and reconfigure? 

image.thumb.png.7766059e72fe07941867e890d24dc6ea.png

2 hours ago, dannieboiz said:

When I rolled this out I had to configure the assignment of the sataport, everything is working but my drive numbers are incorrect. I have drives in bay 1-9 of the 12 bay but it's being labeled as the attached image skipping drive 5 and 6. Although it works I think I should fix this now since it'll be an issue down the road when I have to replace disks. I'm running on a ReadyNAS 4200v2. 

Is this something I can resolve on the fly or would I need to blow it out and reconfigure? 

you could but it depends what controller is used to extend the 4 or 6 onboard sata's

(lsi sas controller tend to change position of drives if one is missing in the row, sata/ahci ports are "stable" in position and leave empty slots for unused ports)

there are sysnology specific kernel extensions to "position" controller if they are 1st,2nd,3rd or to limit the number of drives used fro ma controller (some chipsets have 6 sata ports but the vendor only used 4 ports, the driver will still find the two unused ports and there can be a "gap"

its also possible to remap drives to certain positions

beside understanding that stuff and modding your grub.cfg accordingly you would need to document these settings and when starting from scratch with a new loader you will have to do it again

its way easier to document what position in dsm is on what slot and i always document serial numbers of disks, there position in the slots and to what sata port it is connected and doing a disk swap offline and double check with SN of disk is a safe way

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/32867-sata-and-sas-config-commands-in-grubcfg-and-what-they-do/

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/14224-tutorial-fix-skipped-hdd-numbers/?tab=comments#comment-107105

• Like 1