XPEnology Community

HP Microserver Gen 8 Install fails

taoh

Hi

I have a brand new Std. Microserver with Celeron & 4GB RAM (at least it is now that I have a new mobo) with 1 x 4TB seagate drive in it (I will add another once everything is up and running), I have a new 16GB USB drive setup as per How to Install Xpenology on a PC http://news.softpedia.com/news/how-to-install-xpenology-on-a-pc-499286.shtml .

Problem

1) When I get to the Bootloader menu, my keyboard won't work. I got round this by changing syslinux.cfg to DEFAULT install

2) everything now goes well until it starts formatting system partition then I get

Server Error. (Error Code:38)

An error occurred during installation. The telnet service of DiskStation is turned on for error determination. Please configure your router to forward port 23 to DiskStation and contact Synology online support.

I don't think Synology is going to help so anybody any ideas?

Cheers

Taoh

DMS is DSM_DS3615xs_5644.pat. Not sure about Gen8 bios ,I seem to remember it saying it was 2014 so probable not the latest. As I got it without docs and so far I can't figure out how to update,

the so and so thing, I only got it running yesterday after getting a new mobo.

The newest Bios Firmware is from June 2015. But i don't think thats the only problem. You have to change some settings in your Bios to install Xpenology properly. but without a working keyboard this is not easily possible.

Error 38 means that the motherboard cannot communicate with the HDD. I think there is a problem with your new mobo.

Hi

O.K. after much fiddling about I found out that the keyboard works in from port but not in rear, I then found out that AHCI wasn't on so now when I try to install it gets to stage 4 Installing DSM then it fails with "Unable to perform DSM update because this DSM is an older version!.

Then I discovered that Synology Assistant was reporting that the version installed was 6.0-7321 but when the install starts it reverts to 5.2-5644. Once it refreshes it reports version as 6.0-7321 again. Weird. I tried to download the Assistant on the Xpenoly web site but the link is broken

Built New VM with XPEnoboot 5.2-5644.5

Added P420 to VM as passthrough device - ( 4 2TB drives ea configured as RAID 0 )

Installation Halts at:

loading module hpsa [busy] - (Fan goes to 100% and I am unable to Force any action through vSphere client)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes:

1. HPSA is supported in 5.2.5644.5

2. Removed P420 from VM as passthrough device and install suceeds

3. iLO Reports HBA and all Drives are good

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hardware:

HP MicroServer GEN8

BIOS____________ JO6

RAM_____________HP 16GB

CPU_____________Intel Xeon E3-1260L

MicroSD _________Sandisk 32GB________ESXi 6.0

HBA Controller____HP O/B_B120i__ACHI Mode

Disk-4 HDD_______Seagate 120GB SLE SSD______100GB VM-Datastore

Controller________"HP Smart Array_P420 1GB v6.68 4 logical drives"

Disk-0 RAID-0_____WD RE4 2TB__Independent Data

Disk-1 RAID-0_____WD RE4 2TB__Independent Data

Disk-2 RAID-0_____WD RE4 2TB__Independent Data

Disk-3 RAID-0_____WD RE4 2TB__Independent Data

/With backup going to and identical system (not built yet).

• 9 months later...