XPEnology Community

Change Model

cstout

I'm not looking to do this, but I thought I'd ask the question anyway because I'm curious. In syslinux.cfg there are variables that allow us to set the serial and model...has anybody successfully changed from DS3615xs to, for example, a DS916+ instead? I suppose someone with OCD might find this useful if they built out XPE in a desktop that only has space for four hard drives. I know the pat we use for installing the DSM is for the DS3615xs, so if you are able to change the model and serial...what do you do about the pat file?

The answer is simple, you still use either DS3615xs pat for 64bit capable machines, if not use DS214play pat for 32bit machines

some older generation x64 machines are too slow to run the DS3615xs , so those are better off running DS214play with NanoBoot x86

You can change the serial number to anything you want to match the Slots as you described.

There's an excel macro in another forum thread that lets you create your own matching serial to any of the known models.

That means no, you do not go installing a DS916+ pat with the DS3615xs boot, it will not work.... I kind of found out the hard way :grin: as I was doing something similar for the DS214play running another pat file that was for another 32bit 12 HDD synology box :razz:

Ok sounds simple enough. I tried something like this a year back so in foggy on exactly what happened but I recall setting the serial and trying to use the 3615 pat and it said model mismatch. So...do you only change the serial after DSM is fully installed? I feel like it switched to "migratable" when I did it last.

I edited number of max drives to 4, but it really doesn't have any effect. It just looks nicer in GUI.

And they used DS3615xs because it's the most powerful NAS they produce and it will always support all packages they release (= we will be able to use them on our machines).