XPEnology Community

[SOLVED] XPEnoboot USB after reboot

vinntec

Hi all

Sorry I am new to this so apologies if this is stupid however...

I am using a USB stick with XPEnoboot built from the IMG. Works fine, once :sad: I have shut DSM down twice (today I wanted to change some BIOS settings to get WOL to work) using the Disk Station web access and both times when I come to restart the system it says there is no operating system installed on the USB stick. So I re-burn the image onto the USB and away it goes again with everything as it was and all data on the hard disk is absolutely fine. So I am doing something wrong somewhere.

I have tried using an ISO image instead burned using Rufus but I don't know what I am doing here and used its defaults but that won't boot at all.

DSM 5.2-5644 Update 5 is running standalone and booted from the stick and otherwise is working perfectly. So I am certain I am doing something wrong so can anyone point me in the right direction?

Edited by Guest

you might have the 'bios reset' bug on your mobo. there is a long thread about that on the forum.

in the bios, look for boot settings and priorities and make sure UEFI is disabled, and all HDDs are not in the boot sequence.

try the stick in different usb ports too, I've had your symptoms with some setups and found that some worked reliably and others didnt

Hi sbv3000 - thanks for the tip. I have switched to using the image at the end of the "bios reset" bug thread, made sure there were no HDDs in the boot list (and moved the USB-HDD to the top of the HDD priority list in case it mattered), no sign of a UEFI setting, and reboots and now it works fine. Several reboots and shutdown/restart all working fine. The reboot is now much slower than before but that is not a big issue. I also tried the stick in different ports and they worked fine also. So yes it looks like I had the "BIOS reset" bug!

Many thanks :smile: