XPEnology Community

How to perform upgrading from 4.2 to 5.X?

marcolcp

Dear all,

I have a rather old version of 4.2 Xpenlogy running on my H77M-ITX. As I want to upgrade it to lastest version, it was failure. I also search on the web to find out the relevant topic. However, it is not much on it. Does anyone can give me some guidance on how to perform this upgrading?

Thanks a lot.

Provided the cpu is 64 bit it should run xpe 5.x ok.

I would start by testing your hardware;

1) Burn an XPE 5 boot USB

2) Disconnect your current drives

3) Connect a 'spare' drive

4) Boot new USB/XPE, run Syno Assistant and search for/install DSM

5) Configure system to make sure your needed functions are working.

If the above all works ok;

6) Reconnect your drives

7) Boot XPE 4.2

8) Backup all data/apps

9) Update DSM 4.2 to the 'latest' 4.x version

10) Reboot with XPE 5.x

11) Search with Syno Assistant and 'Migrate'

Provided the cpu is 64 bit it should run xpe 5.x ok.

I would start by testing your hardware;

1) Burn an XPE 5 boot USB

2) Disconnect your current drives

3) Connect a 'spare' drive

4) Boot new USB/XPE, run Syno Assistant and search for/install DSM

5) Configure system to make sure your needed functions are working.

If the above all works ok;

6) Reconnect your drives

7) Boot XPE 4.2

8) Backup all data/apps

9) Update DSM 4.2 to the 'latest' 4.x version

10) Reboot with XPE 5.x

11) Search with Syno Assistant and 'Migrate'

Thanks sbv3000. I'm not sure steps 9) and 11) as you stated on the above. I do know that there is 4.3 version of xpenlogy. Are you suggest me to try to upgrade the existing system to 4.3 first? Then, reboot the with XPE 5.X. If it succcess, uses synology assistant utility to search for the new system. But is there an option of 'Migrate' in this utility? Would the 'Migrate' utility safely upgrade to 5.X?

Besides, as there is huge amount of data in existing system and I would not want to buy an extra harddisk to backup. Safely upgrading is very important to me.

Thanks sbv3000. I'm not sure steps 9) and 11) as you stated on the above. I do know that there is 4.3 version of xpenlogy. Are you suggest me to try to upgrade the existing system to 4.3 first? Then, reboot the with XPE 5.X. If it succcess, uses synology assistant utility to search for the new system. But is there an option of 'Migrate' in this utility? Would the 'Migrate' utility safely upgrade to 5.X?

Besides, as there is huge amount of data in existing system and I would not want to buy an extra harddisk to backup. Safely upgrading is very important to me.

hi marcolcp

for 9) - I recently upgraded a real Syno DS212j that was on 4.2 to XPE/DSM 5. The control panel 'update' option would only show 4.x updates available, so I could not jump to 5.x. Once I went through the updates, to get to the highest 4.x, update showed 5.x available. I suspect you would find the same, hence if you go to the latest 4.x it should make the process smoother.

for 11) - the 4.x boot loader was ( I recall) based on an older NAS model (DS3612?) so when you boot with XPE it will appear as if you have moved your drives from an DS3612 to a DS3615, hence you will be asked to Migrate. If you choose the 'keep my files and settings' it should be ok.

If you are worried about your data I would strongly recommend you have a backup but also test the process first. I think its the only way to be 'safe'. If you can't source a spare disk for testing, then look at a cloud service to put your data temporarily - you could rent some space just for a month :smile:

Hi sbv3000,

I went through the steps as you mentioned. However, both the 4.3 version of synology and xpenlogy are also failure to upgrade. It shows error and can't go on.

Oh, what the else can I do for this upgrading?

Many thanks to you.

Currently, I'm using Xpenlogy 4.2. I have tried to upgrade official 4.3-3827-8 release and 4.3 xpenlogy from "http://www.xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1700". Both respond to error.

As I know that you have a real synology from the above posts. It should be no problem for the upgrading. But to Xpenlogy, the upgrading seems not to be easy.

Hi marcolcp

Which boot image are you using - gnoboot I guess? - let me know

also - have you tried applying the individual patch files rather than trying 3827-8? Sometimes these are cumulative, sometimes need to be added in order

check the downloads page for the separate patches and also the synology ftp