XPEnology Community

Antivirus?

vinntec

I am just setting up my XPEnology NAS following the course on udemy "Turn an Old PC into a powerful NAS / Media Server"and it is working absolutely fine.

I installed the "Antivirus Essentials" package. This gave a lot of false positives so I had to stop it and uninstall it. The Synology forum contains lot of complaints about this on "real" NAS. So I tried to install McAfee which is also listed as I was happy to pay a small amount for it but this asks for a Synology account (which I have) but even trying to login to this from the server gives an error "The system failed to complete the requested operation, there is an unknown error."

So I tried to download the DS3615xs version of McAfee from the Synology site to my PC then do a manual install but XPEnology won't allow it to be installed.

So the question is what AntiVirus can I use with XPEnology? Should McAfee install work and if so what setting is likely to be stopping it?

Thanks for any help or advice.

You don't really need an antivirus in a Fileserver, if your windows workstations already have antivirus installed.

virus does not get executed by themself, and in linux there's no virus unless you install it yourself, just like Android.

Malwares people complain about, is because they installed them accidentally, usually via a fake program or from a link in a web browser.

so, again in a fileserver it only store files, it does not execute stuff by itself, it will not infect other stuff even if you did had a virus hidden among your files.

the next time your windows machine opens that file, it will catch it.

You don't really need an antivirus in a Fileserver, if your windows workstations already have antivirus installed.

virus does not get executed by themself, and in linux there's no virus unless you install it yourself, just like Android.

Malwares people complain about, is because they installed them accidentally, usually via a fake program or from a link in a web browser.

so, again in a fileserver it only store files, it does not execute stuff by itself, it will not infect other stuff even if you did had a virus hidden among your files.

the next time your windows machine opens that file, it will catch it.

I see your point, an anti-virus is not necessary on a NAS system to protect the NAS itself.

However, if you have a functional virusscanner on your nas that is able to catch and dis-infect or delete malware it is a good way to protect your computer because you might connect to your nas before your anti-virus had a chance to update itself and you might still infect yourself.

That being said, I only use the free anti virus. And I agree, it's mostly crap and false positives.