XPEnology Community

New NAS setup

taoh

Hi All

I'm strictly a newbie here and I've never setup my own NAS before. Up to now I have relied on Synology servers and external hard drives for my storage needs but I decided I need to rationalize everything. (currently 2 x DS211js, 1 x DS115j, 2 external HDDs and 7 replaceable HDDS = messy!)

To that end I have bought an HP Microserver Gen 8 and 2 x Seagate 5GB HDDs to go with the 2 x 4GB Seagates I already have. I also have a new 123gb SSD and various microSD and USBs for bootinng and OS

However I'm not sure about the best way to set everything up.

I need the NAS setup so that I can use it as

1) a fileserver locally

2) a cloud server for about 50GB of data

3) a mysql server (both local and external)

I might use the DS115j for the external stuff

I intend to use the HDDs in two mirrored pairs (ie 2 x 5TB and 2 x 4TB).

As I'm used to using Synology, it seems only logical that I use XPEnology for my new NAS.

I need your advice on the best way to set everything up bearing in mind that although I did I.T. helpdesk for 15 years I've had only a little exposure to Linux.

Cheers

Taoh

Fear not, Installing XPEnology is literally a piece of cake, if all your hardware are compatible.

start by plugging in the 2 new HDD to the new HP server

follow the instructions in the HOW TO guides here in the forum

basically write the XPE boot to the USB stick

boot from the USB stick

then use Synology Assistant to find it, and install the .PAT file

the rest is exactly how you used Synology in the past.

no need for monitor, keyboard, etc. (again assuming your server have no problem booting to the USB stick)

you could setup you old DS's as jbod units to use as backup targets for the XPE server data, that way you have extra resilience. I've setup so that my backup jukeboxes power on and off to be backed up to from my 'production' systems.